Favourite TV Characters in a Comedy

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, I remember Eden Gaha! Sounds right to me.

while on the old after school routine...

not thats its a comedy but how about the wonder years, i couldnt get enough of it!

Id love to maybe go back now and see if it was even any good?

Like i recall moments when i'd see Kevins dad smile or bond with him and id get happy - they must have had some kind of production values if i cared that much?

while on the old after school routine...

not thats its a comedy but how about the wonder years, i couldnt get enough of it!

Id love to maybe go back now and see if it was even any good?

Like i recall moments when i'd see Kevins dad smile or bond with him and id get happy - they must have had some kind of production values if i cared that much?

Great show! The lead actor (Savage) also cameod in Seinfeld.

He went on to host Animal Hospital?

SINCE leaving Australia six years ago, Eden Gaha has come a long way from his days on Home and Away and A Country Practice.
He's now made a name for himself in American reality television, mixing shoulders with reality TV guru Mark Burnett , and has racked up producing roles on a host of Emmy-nominated shows including Survivor, The Contender and Rockstar.

Gaha is currently working on series two of the hugely successful Celebrity Apprentice and says he has learnt the secret to creating good reality television lies as much in the cast as it does in the concept.

Hes made the big time ay?

Took me yearsss to place it, but i think his internal voice was Daniel Stern - do you rememeber the final scene of the final ep? i think it was him holding a baby

Cannot remember the show that well. Been decades since I last watched it.

how bout the late show on saturday nights?

was an institution! for me as i wasnt old enough to go out yet.

any personal favorite moments?

Yep big fan. Used enjoy on Saturday nights. Favourites included Pies Weak World, the stunt man stuff and Tony Martin as Scwharzenegger.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, and loved it. :)

There was the moment when Larry casually came up with the cigar / ciggarette bit - Jerry almost sat there in awe. It kinda shows how effortless real observational comedy is for Larry, cause its wired into his brain.

then there was the spit take - not often you get a real life spit take!

There was the moment when Larry casually came up with the cigar / ciggarette bit - Jerry almost sat there in awe. It kinda shows how effortless real observational comedy is for Larry, cause its wired into his brain.

then there was the spit take - not often you get a real life spit take!

Wahooti Fandango how much of this do you reckon is Larrys work? or was it more of a Woody written piece i wonder... got both finger prints all over it

Wahooti Fandango how much of this do you reckon is Larrys work? or was it more of a Woody written piece i wonder... got both finger prints all over it

Very Allen, but as you say with the LD touch.

What is your favourite Allen film?

Last edited by a moderator:
Very Allen, but as you say with the LD touch.

What is your favourite Allen film?

Hmm at risk of Flamage I've never really been a big fan. Yet I'm a fan of David?

Don't know, maybe its the style of neurosis blended with the uncomfortable philosophical truths that put me off...or the older man younger women schtick?

Can't place it. What should my fav be? Didn't mind midnight in Paris

Hmm at risk of Flamage I've never really been a big fan. Yet I'm a fan of David?

Don't know, maybe its the style of neurosis blended with the uncomfortable philosophical truths that put me off...or the older man younger women schtick?

Can't place it. What should my fav be? Didn't mind midnight in Paris

All his movies repeat the same themes that you have summed up nicely.

I liked Midnight in Paris. Manhattan Murder Mystery and Manhattan. Really did not like Matchpoint.

All his movies repeat the same themes that you have summed up nicely.

I liked Midnight in Paris. Manhattan Murder Mystery and Manhattan. Really did not like Matchpoint.

Without stepping on Lord Nicholson toes - this is his forte, but....

Is the thing that Woody does well (other than neurosis) the fact that he really captures the essence of the city the movie is set in? Like he really captured NYC, and was probably known for it, then branched into Paris and showcased in midnight in Paris, then gave London a crack in match point.

Like the Big Lebowski, was so California, it dripped Cali, unmistakable,

I reckon Its the thing i really think Larry is undersold for, he has that ability to capture the essence of where the show he is making is made.

You could nearly argue Seinfeld is as much an ode to NYC as it is anything else, you could argue that show could not have been made anywhere else, it wouldnt work anywhere else. When you watch it you just get that congested communal feel, that hectic hive of activity, most shots are in the apartment, you never get the feel of open spaces or green, i cant actually recall seeing anything green on the show, i associate Seinfeld with greys and dark blues and blacks.

Then he goes and makes Curb, perfectly captures LA, its a compeltly different vibe, a lot of the shots are done with him driving his car, LA is a driving town, NYC is an apartment/taxi town. You think of curb, you get that wide open spaced out feel, sure its still not really green, tis more concrete but i reckon when you just picture the two shows in your mind you deffinatley get the LA vibe and the NYC vibe pretty stongly.

do you think thats something that Larry actually works hard on fostering?

or have i just rambled a complete load of shite just now?

Nah you've got something there. David and Allen are cut from the same cloth in many ways. David is very interesting - he was an absolute continuity obsessive around Seinfeld and it pays off - that show has some of the tightest continuity you could imagine, to the degree that if a role was recast, David would have the syndication episodes re-shot.

Allen's great advantage is his tremendous cinema literacy. He did the best Bergman pastiche ever in Interiors, for instance, or the Cassavetes-influenced Husbands and Wives. His best film is Manhattan (Gordon Willis pls) but there are other strong candidates: Bananas, Annie Hall, The Purple Rose of Cairo and Bullets Over Broadway. There are very few outright stinkers in his catalogue and this is remarkable considering that he's directed a film every year for what, 40 years?

Nah you've got something there. David and Allen are cut from the same cloth in many ways. David is very interesting - he was an absolute continuity obsessive around Seinfeld and it pays off - that show has some of the tightest continuity you could imagine, to the degree that if a role was recast, David would have the syndication episodes re-shot.

Allen's great advantage is his tremendous cinema literacy. He did the best Bergman pastiche ever in Interiors, for instance, or the Cassavetes-influenced Husbands and Wives. His best film is Manhattan (Gordon Willis pls) but there are other strong candidates: Bananas, Annie Hall, The Purple Rose of Cairo and Bullets Over Broadway. There are very few outright stinkers in his catalogue and this is remarkable considering that he's directed a film every year for what, 40 years?

i was reading once that there was an episode of curb where Larry had to wear a bandaid on his forehead for a portion of the ep, they spent an entire days shooting up on a balcony for a particular scene to get it right, Then go in next morning for the next days shoot - they call action and Larry goes arrghh F**K the bandaid!

He realised at that very moment he had not worn the bandaid for the balcony scene the day before. They had to stop shooting immediatly and reshoot the entire previous days work. Continuity!

Also was reading an article by Ebert on Woody, he said in a round about way that Woody suffered from GAJ syndrome - set the bar at enough 40 possession games and everyone will think 30 posessions is a failure. In reality 30 poesessions is as much as anyone else is getting.

Same with Woody, set the bar high enough and anything less is not given rave reviews - even though its as good as anyone else is making

Remove this Banner Ad

Back