'Fragile' Fevola back in Ireland to face his demons
By Caroline Wilson and Iain McDonald in Galway
November 7, 2006
Troubled Carlton footballer Brendan Fevola has returned to the scene of his drunken Irish crime, responding to Galway police in a bid to settle charges over last week's attack on a local barman and enable him to return to the country in future with a clean slate.
Fevola is believed to have arrived in Ireland yesterday following advice from his manager, Paul Connors, and the Carlton Football Club. Late last night, Melbourne time, the Coleman medallist was preparing to sign a series of police documents but was not required to appear in court.
Fevola is believed to have returned to Galway unaccompanied by any member of the AFL official touring party.
He is expected to be formally cautioned in Galway by a police superintendent. The "adult caution" has only just been introduced into Irish law. It is an extension of the often-used Juvenile Liaison Scheme caution, given to youngsters for misdemeanours.
The decision to caution him indicates that police decided the incident was not deserving of a court charge and appearance.
Blues chief executive Michael Malouf was preparing to accompany Fevola back into Melbourne later this week. Concerned at Fevola's fragile emotional state and disappointed at the AFL's handling of the entire affair, the Carlton administration is also planning to communicate its displeasure to the league's international contingent upon its return home from Ireland.
Last night Fevola, accompanied by two minders, was awaiting further instructions from Galway police about receiving his caution.
Malouf and Connors plan to join Fevola on the final leg of his flight home.
While Fevola's decision to return to Ireland had again disrupted the footballer's travel schedule, the plan last night was for him to make public his arrival time into Melbourne and hold a press conference upon his return.
With the AFL facing some lengthy soul-searching following the controversial and fiery end to yet another troubled and incident-dogged series against the Irish, the fallout from Fevola's clash with the barman is also expected to continue.
The Age has learned that the Blues had warned the AFL of a number of personal issues weighing upon Fevola's mind before the international rules team left for its Irish tour and remain perplexed at the lack of support offered Fevola both during the tour and after his violent transgression in a Galway hotel.
The incident occurred last week following a day at the Galway races, during which most footballers drank heavily and then were given a free night with no real curfew.
The Blues are believed to have already questioned Fevola's hasty and lone exit to London - which followed a series of ill-timed interviews - given his personal issues.
While coach Denis Pagan, speaking yesterday at Carlton's first pre-season training session, said Fevola had not returned his calls in the past week, the player has been in contact with Malouf. Pagan said Fevola would resume training next week.
The Blues would not be drawn yesterday over what further punishment, if any, might be inflicted upon their 2006 Coleman medallist.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
What personal issues could Fev have, apart from his obvious drinking problems? Reading the article, the issues sound to be more serious than that, could possibly be some more Wilson fabrications, but doesn't seem likely.
By Caroline Wilson and Iain McDonald in Galway
November 7, 2006
Troubled Carlton footballer Brendan Fevola has returned to the scene of his drunken Irish crime, responding to Galway police in a bid to settle charges over last week's attack on a local barman and enable him to return to the country in future with a clean slate.
Fevola is believed to have arrived in Ireland yesterday following advice from his manager, Paul Connors, and the Carlton Football Club. Late last night, Melbourne time, the Coleman medallist was preparing to sign a series of police documents but was not required to appear in court.
Fevola is believed to have returned to Galway unaccompanied by any member of the AFL official touring party.
He is expected to be formally cautioned in Galway by a police superintendent. The "adult caution" has only just been introduced into Irish law. It is an extension of the often-used Juvenile Liaison Scheme caution, given to youngsters for misdemeanours.
The decision to caution him indicates that police decided the incident was not deserving of a court charge and appearance.
Blues chief executive Michael Malouf was preparing to accompany Fevola back into Melbourne later this week. Concerned at Fevola's fragile emotional state and disappointed at the AFL's handling of the entire affair, the Carlton administration is also planning to communicate its displeasure to the league's international contingent upon its return home from Ireland.
Last night Fevola, accompanied by two minders, was awaiting further instructions from Galway police about receiving his caution.
Malouf and Connors plan to join Fevola on the final leg of his flight home.
While Fevola's decision to return to Ireland had again disrupted the footballer's travel schedule, the plan last night was for him to make public his arrival time into Melbourne and hold a press conference upon his return.
With the AFL facing some lengthy soul-searching following the controversial and fiery end to yet another troubled and incident-dogged series against the Irish, the fallout from Fevola's clash with the barman is also expected to continue.
The Age has learned that the Blues had warned the AFL of a number of personal issues weighing upon Fevola's mind before the international rules team left for its Irish tour and remain perplexed at the lack of support offered Fevola both during the tour and after his violent transgression in a Galway hotel.
The incident occurred last week following a day at the Galway races, during which most footballers drank heavily and then were given a free night with no real curfew.
The Blues are believed to have already questioned Fevola's hasty and lone exit to London - which followed a series of ill-timed interviews - given his personal issues.
While coach Denis Pagan, speaking yesterday at Carlton's first pre-season training session, said Fevola had not returned his calls in the past week, the player has been in contact with Malouf. Pagan said Fevola would resume training next week.
The Blues would not be drawn yesterday over what further punishment, if any, might be inflicted upon their 2006 Coleman medallist.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
What personal issues could Fev have, apart from his obvious drinking problems? Reading the article, the issues sound to be more serious than that, could possibly be some more Wilson fabrications, but doesn't seem likely.


.