PS5 Final Fantasy XVI

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Thematically this looks more like an old school classic FF game with swords and shields, a heap of magic, medieval type setting rather than the modernised type characters and hyper tech world.

I like that personally, and looks like it will be story driven too with a lot more interest.

What I dont trust is their ability to do action combat rather than ATB or turn based, BUT if they make it more Kingdom Hearts esque combat rather than the failure that was "Hold Circle + Potions" in FFXV, then this could maybe be the first great FF since XII on PS2...

Last edited:

One thing, usually FF characters are quite different, the below is a screenshot from the trailer for XVI, the left/right images is Noctis from XV at a point in the game.

1600306926385.png 1600307061595.png 1600307140222.png

Now tell me that isn't a young, middle and old of the same character haha

Attachments

• 1600306724126.png
    1600306724126.png
    162.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 1600306849130.png
    1600306849130.png
    76.8 KB · Views: 39
I like the darker tone and gives me some Witcher 3 vibes.

Unlike XV i hope it comes out within ten years and is complete.
It's much more advanced than the 10 year FFXV cycle or FFVII remakes were imo, it wouldn't surprise me if it's fairly high on the Sony PS5 calendar as a showpiece title, big, well known series with lots of long term followers.

It looks like a cross-gen game.

Some pretty heavy XV vibes and my initial reaction is that it is a step behind FVII in terms of writing and character performances.

It looks like a cross-gen game.

Some pretty heavy XV vibes and my initial reaction is that it is a step behind FVII in terms of writing and character performances.

Yeah, looks just like any generic uninteresting FF (bar FF7R) that has been released the past 15 years, with better graphics. Not sure I'm that hyped about it

Hey all, been a while since someone has posted here, figured those who are fans might be interested.

Last week Square Enix flew us to Japan to play Final Fantasy XVI and chat with the devs.

It seems like FFXVI is shaping up to be wildly different to what fans would normally expect. Our preview below:

Hey all, been a while since someone has posted here, figured those who are fans might be interested.

Last week Square Enix flew us to Japan to play Final Fantasy XVI and chat with the devs.

It seems like FFXVI is shaping up to be wildly different to what fans would normally expect. Our preview below:

I though FFXV was average at best, hopefully they can deepend the combat a bit even with the new way they do these games and also they can build a world and story that connects a bit better with me. Just haven't been invested in a story or characters since FFX.

Thanks for the review, I've been consuming a lot of the news that dropped today.

As a massive FFXIV fan, the fact that the team behind XIV is also in charge of XVI has me excited.

I've never really played an Action RPG before, the closest I've ever gotten is VIIR, so it's going to be a huge learning curve for me I think.

Anyway, sounds like you enjoyed what you got to play. June can't come fast enough for me.

Thanks for the review, I've been consuming a lot of the news that dropped today.

As a massive FFXIV fan, the fact that the team behind XIV is also in charge of XVI has me excited.

I've never really played an Action RPG before, the closest I've ever gotten is VIIR, so it's going to be a huge learning curve for me I think.

Anyway, sounds like you enjoyed what you got to play. June can't come fast enough for me.

Haven't played the Witcher series at all? That's more action rpg than DMC which is more hack and slash for example, so that that review was more DMC, think showboaty button fluency rather than methodical action oriented & procedural.Demo things for me was a bit like, the movement and such in combat is like assassins creed a bit, that's the vibe I got from it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haven't played the Witcher series at all? That's more action rpg than DMC which is more hack and slash for example, so that that review was more DMC, think showboaty button fluency rather than methodical action oriented & procedural.Demo things for me was a bit like, the movement and such in combat is like assassins creed a bit, that's the vibe I got from it.
Nope, I’ve played small amounts of Witcher and Assassin’s Creed, but never finished either.

There’s definitely going to be a learning curve for me with this.

FF15 was a pile of trash but FF7Remake was fantastic. Hopefully a return to form for Square Enix. I have faith this will be really good.

FF15 was a pile of trash but FF7Remake was fantastic. Hopefully a return to form for Square Enix. I have faith this will be really good.
The team behind XVI have managed to turn a complete failure around to one of SE’s most successful Final Fantasy’s, hopefully they can make a game they created themselves into a success. It looks really really good so far, but things can change.

i havent really been able to get into any final fantasy games which is weird because on paper they should be right up my alley. the ones ive tried i dont think i have ever finished, just got bored and moved on to better things.

Which ones have you tried?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

i havent really been able to get into any final fantasy games which is weird because on paper they should be right up my alley. the ones ive tried i dont think i have ever finished, just got bored and moved on to better things.

I've never actually finished 12, always get to the last maybe 10 mins and just stop for some reason, well, that and the travesty that were the DS remakes, those were just horrible, especially 3. So if you tried any of the DS options, I totally get where you're coming from.

ahhh from memory, 12, 13, 15 & the 7Remake

furthest i got was probably 3 quarters of the way through 15
Well if it helps any, FFXVI is looking to be very different (at least combat wise) to FF1-15.

It still has the classic Final Fantasy stories and monsters and cute little creatures from other Final Fantasies, however it’s no longer Turn-based. It’s still an RPG but with an action oriented combat system. If you like games like DMC5 and Dragons Dogma (combat Director for FFXVI, Ryota Sazuki worked on both), it may be worth at least having a look at some trailers, plus they just did a huge combat showcase last week and are planning to do an RPG systems showcase next month.

Looks phenomenal.

It does! I cannot wait, I was already sold before the PaxEast panel, that panel just confirmed that I made the right decision pre-ordering it. I’m now debating whether to take time off or not to play it. Three months seems so far away.

The Director and Creative Director for XVI announced it went gold last night. What I understand from the internet, this means it’s actually complete and ready for printing. Apparently reaching this status almost 3 months before release is almost unheard of?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back