Player Watch Finlay Macrae

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep and we would have still lost as our good players haven't been good and our systems are being covered off. And me and others would think the coaches are insane and be whinging at them for not playing Elliott, Mitchell and Howe.

Elliott? Really? He's playing well. Mitchell and Howe are due for a spell though - they're in horrible form.
Elliott has been spoken about by others (good and bad).
From my perspective, it's not about Elliott's form - just that I would have eased him into the season, same as Mitchell.

I hope for a Geelong 2022 run at the end of this year for Collingwood.

He'll get some full games, but I think we'll find out why they went with the blokes who'd at least done it before. I just don't think he's that good. The way everyone is carrying on, you'd think that we'd left out Joel Selwood at his peak.

It's not a case of thinking he's ever going to be a star, it's whether he has the capacity to be a solid B grade extractor at AFL level and provide a viable alternative to the likes of an aging Mitchell in the short to medium term.

His development at VFL level is probably done and dusted now and any improvement will only come with more AFL exposure.

While not offering him much senior opportunity across the past 2 years is justifiable given our results, if we continue our run of poor form you have to question why we even bothered to re-sign him if we don't have enough faith to play him in the 22.

It's not a case of thinking he's ever going to be a star, it's whether he has the capacity to be a solid B grade extractor at AFL level and provide a viable alternative to the likes of an aging Mitchell in the short to medium term.

His development at VFL level is probably done and dusted now and any improvement will only come with more AFL exposure.

While not offering him much senior opportunity across the past 2 years is justifiable given our results, if we continue our run of poor form you have to question why we even bothered to re-sign him if we don't have enough faith to play him in the 22.
Agree. But it was a must win game and we had to pick a team about winning and not just about Finn Macrae's development. They thought Mitchell would be more likely to help us win. I doubt Tom will hold his place though as he's had two shockers where he looked miles off it and Finn is pressing for a game ahead of him. I'm pretty confident that he'll get that chance which he's waited patiently for and everyone else seems to have become ridiculously anxious and impatient about.

I am still yet to see anything to suggest the coaching staff rate him anywhere near as highly as some here do tbh
Fly answered the question in the presser about Fin a bit weirdly
Then why the contract extensions...? This, together with the fact that Fly has said numerous times that Fin is one of the players he speaks with most often. I can't imagine that being the case if he wasn't rated at all.

I am still yet to see anything to suggest the coaching staff rate him anywhere near as highly as some here do tbh

People are overrating him a little, but we tend to do this when the teams not performing and there's someone in the ressies/injured and they get a bit of the messiah complex.

From what Macrae has showed he's far from a quality AFL mid. We desperately need him to get there, and he'll get chances, but he isn't there right now. Brisbane have a bloody good midfield so it's a big risk to play him coz he can't play any other position.

The vibe I got from McRae's answer was that he got out voted in the match committee and wanted to give him the full game

Then why the contract extensions...? This, together with the fact that Fly has said numerous times that Fin is one of the players he speaks with most often. I can't imagine that being the case if he wasn't rated at all.
the one year contract extension until end of 2025 is not a long term commitment, until he gets given full games I'm not convinced at all

The vibe I got from McRae's answer was that he got out voted in the match committee and wanted to give him the full game
interesting, I can't say I got that vibe, he mentioned Harrison unprovoked

interesting, I can't say I got that vibe, he mentioned Harrison unprovoked

Ithink we're talking about a different part of his answer. When I saw it last night, I felt he started with an eye rolled ******* oath we should have played Macrae followed by we should look at Harrison too because our senior players are sucking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fitness is an issue, even in his great games in VFL he is much less productive in second halves.

Which just means they'll more likely put him in the 22, to have a full game.
I’m not so sure. I’ve really wanted it to happen, but after 2 games as sub, there’s every chance that he gets put back to the VFL to get a full game in while Sullivan comes in as sub. Chucking a kid in to the 22 when he hasn’t played a full competitive game of footy for nearly a month isn’t setting him up for success.

I’m not so sure. I’ve really wanted it to happen, but after 2 games as sub, there’s every chance that he gets put back to the VFL to get a full game in while Sullivan comes in as sub. Chucking a kid in to the 22 when he hasn’t played a full competitive game of footy for nearly a month isn’t setting him up for success.
And when we are 0-3 and facing the lions at home staring down 0-4.

I agree. I’d prefer he play a full vfl game, stand out then come back against the hawks.

And when we are 0-3 and facing the lions at home staring down 0-4.

I agree. I’d prefer he play a full vfl game, stand out then come back against the hawks.
Totally disagree. He needs more senior football not less. It’s not as if he’s a skinny bony 18 year old any more. He’s ready.

Just play him. It doesn’t matter who we are playing next week and whatever our win loss ratio in the past three weeks was. We shouldn’t be scared of picking our best 22 and nor should we be scared of developing players rather than hiding them until we get an easier opponent.

Last edited:
Totally disagree. He needs more senior football not less. It’s not as if he’s a skinny bony 18 year old any more. He’s ready.

Just play him. It doesn’t matter who we are playing next week and whatever our win loss ratio in the past three weeks was. We shouldn’t be scared of picking our best 22 and nor should we be scared of developing players rather than hiding them until we get an easier opponent.
As Apex stated though mate he’s only played about 3 quarters of footy in 2 weeks. It’s not ideal prep match fitness wise.

I want him to play full games, and agree he should already have. The concern being match fitness IMO.

I’m in the “play him the whole game camp”. No doubt. We need to find out about him this season

As Apex stated though mate he’s only played about 3 quarters of footy in 2 weeks. It’s not ideal prep match fitness wise.

I want him to play full games, and agree he should already have. The concern being match fitness IMO.

I’m in the “play him the whole game camp”. No doubt. We need to find out about him this season

Its a preposterous suggestion to suggest he’s not match fit. They design training schedules around these scenarios. It’s not as if he’s been injured….

Besides, that’s on the club that he’s not been given more game time, not on him.

I'm not intimate with individual training programs but some players who are nominated as subs would do extra work post game to avoid deconditioning.

I'm not intimate with individual training programs but some players who are nominated as subs would do extra work post game to avoid deconditioning.
That is very correct. If you don’t play a full game, sports science will either plan a running session to simulate, have a mixed session of skills and running or take it as a rest week in a training year. Happens all the time - it’s not a drama at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back