Player Watch Finlay Macrae

Remove this Banner Ad

Macrae was matched up against him for much of the first half (when he was rampant). Mitchell switched on to him after half time and did well to quell his influence a little.

To be fair to Macrae , I think he would have been concerned about his opponent ( Neale ) more than getting the ball himself, in the end you are not doing anything, because you are a step behind, do I go, do I wait , do I attack do I defend etc
Continue to play him in the centre, if he doesn’t improve so be it

Finn falls in the same Category as Reef.
Give them a string of games together and judge after that.
I still think he will be a player but the transition is so hard when you’ve been a bit spare parts like Finn has been.
Needs a stretch of afl games. Need to be patient and work through the transition because he has been at VFL level for so long. Cant expect him come and dominate off the bat.

Exactly, start him in the middle for the next month, only way we are going to find out. Was up against a decent Brisbane midfield.
He's signed until the end of 2025 - there's no rush to find out. We've got to win as many of the next 4 as we can. We're still in flag mode not develop the kids mode.

6 possessions in a half of footy is a poor return.

He needs to take the opportunity now or he may go back in the queue. He's been in the system now for long enough that he has to be a solid contributor or he won't make it.

He's signed until the end of 2025 - there's no rush to find out. We've got to win as many of the next 4 as we can. We're still in flag mode not develop the kids mode.

You need to have a degree of both. The premiers never field the same side the following year and improvement usually comes from kids stepping up.

Macrae just looks like averge mid with average height, speed and skills. I haven't seen an elite trait yet.

6 possessions in a half of footy is a poor return.

He needs to take the opportunity now or he may go back in the queue. He's been in the system now for long enough that he has to be a solid contributor or he won't make it.
He does need to take it soon.
tbf that second quarter nobody could get their hands on the ball. Even jordy only had 2 touches (10 for the half)

Fly and the papers indicated Titch was playing on Neale last night. Posters saying it was Macrae. So who was it?
I saw him on Neale in 1st quarter then some time on McCluggage.

Pretty tough task, I would give him another week.

I'd give him the boot and try Sullivan instead. Macrae can be offered the opportunity to get some games and form under his belt in the VFL.

Yeah however finn hasn’t had a chance but I guess the club would know more internally than what we see although there’s been a few handy players overlooked ie Liam picken Michael Barlow Zorko

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
They are a different group though. They are all players the system got wrong. They were thought not good enough but when they got their late chances they immediately proved they were good enough. Its safe to say if they were picked up early they would have all played plenty early like almost all the good players do. Unfortunately for Fin the evidence is stacking up against him being in the good player group.

You need to have a degree of both. The premiers never field the same side the following year and improvement usually comes from kids stepping up.

Macrae just looks like averge mid with average height, speed and skills. I haven't seen an elite trait yet.
Improvement is usually from the youngsters already in the team stepping up. Or youngsters stepping into fringe roles and performing. You don't often improve a good team by someone jumping from a lower level straight into the AFL midfield - unless the bloke is something special. If he does make the transition to AFL mid, it'll probably be slow. He's got until the end of next year.

tbf that second quarter nobody could get their hands on the ball. Even jordy only had 2 touches (10 for the half)
I’d argue the team couldn’t get their hands on the ball because one of our extractors isn’t a good ball winner.

Mitchell got 8 possesions that quarter 4 of them contested. If Finlay is supposed to be his successor then that’s the standard he has to reach.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fly and the papers indicated Titch was playing on Neale last night. Posters saying it was Macrae. So who was it?
I went back today and watch the match until Fin was subbed just to watch him and get a better idea of how he went and who he lined up on. It was a mix of Dunkley, McCluggage and Neale in the centre square with Neal being the least often. I thought during the game it was more as Neale was so dominant but Mitchell was his main opponent , especially in the 2nd. There was a fair difference between the pressure he applied compared to Finn. I think thats why it looked like Fin was against him more often as he was very dynamic when Fin was with him. Was a tough gig for anyone

Outside the centresquare he also manned Zorko aand Wilmot at times.

Brissie has a very good midfield so a tough gig and getting so little time against Saints was also hard. But that the lot of a fringe player trying to get in. Kia Lohmann, the Brissie sub, has a similar record with 11 games total, 5 as sub and another 2 subbed off. You have to take your chances even if they are not ideal. Unfortunately for Fin getting 3 possies against the Saints in 25% game time, so a third of what he might get in a full match, isn't good enough nor was last night. As a 4th year he has to strike soon. If he doesnt show more than he has he wont, nor should he, get a string of games. Other will pass him.

They are a different group though. They are all players the system got wrong. They were thought not good enough but when they got their late chances they immediately proved they were good enough. Its safe to say if they were picked up early they would have all played plenty early like almost all the good players do. Unfortunately for Fin the evidence is stacking up against him being in the good player group.
I think that's pretty assumptive concerning those players and ignoring the significantly different rates of progression that players go through.

I focussed on him a bit around stoppage as I'm trying to work out why we hype him up so much, as i just cant see it. Early on I thought he was trying to go to Dunkley - assumedly to get Jdg free but went to McCluggage a bit when it settled down.

We often go with Jdg at the front of the pack, Pendles at the back and Mitchell at the side, so stoppage match ups would often be more down to the opposition. I think we're more role based than match up based. He was often in the back of the back role - sometimes side.

First start for the year after been sub for the first two, l think he needs to start and have game time
As someone famous says
Just play him

I think that's pretty assumptive concerning those players and ignoring the significantly different rates of progression that players go through.
Definitetly assumttion based but given almost all mids and non KP players or rucks who end up good do play early its a reasonable one to make. Between the good ones there isnt big differences in progression in the main

Definitetly assumttion based but given almost all mids and non KP players or rucks who end up good do play early its a reasonable one to make. Between the good ones there isnt big differences in progression in the main
There is though when you look at quality of games. Jordy took 8 years or so to play as a mid. Nick took a year and a bit. Hawkins started delivering in about his 5th year, Buddy in his second. Buddy peaked in about his 5th year. Hawkins about his 12th. Pendles peaked about year 5 and maintained that for a long time. Dangerfield about year 10. They all played early because they were very talented, but their progress was very different.

Lesser players would be the same Some guys keep developing and become good enough at 25. Others who were better at 18 don't progress much and are never good enough. Progress is hard to predict and not linear. It's why the draft is a lottery.

Who would have thought that Stepho wouldn't have improved much at all or Treloar. Or that Crisp would go well past them both to be the one who because the lune breaking goal creating mid.

Last edited:
I’m excited about Macrae and have been a big advocate for bringing him in. However 6 touches when you’ve finally been given the chance, I don’t know if it’s enough to keep him in. I would like him to string a few games together unfortunately with our list and where we are currently at just don’t see how he can keep his spot. We have Sidey and Crisp to come back into the 22 this week.

I’m excited about Macrae and have been a big advocate for bringing him in. However 6 touches when you’ve finally been given the chance, I don’t know if it’s enough to keep him in. I would like him to string a few games together unfortunately with our list and where we are currently at just don’t see how he can keep his spot. We have Sidey and Crisp to come back into the 22 this week.
I also think Sullivan has leap frogged him

With all the regular posters that watch a lot of VFL and training I'm hoping we have some up and coming midfielders that can fill the upcoming major gaps in our list with senior players moving on.

Please tell me HH, Sullivan, Bytel and all other players I have never seen or heard of are any good. Will put Mcrae in this list also.

Improvement is usually from the youngsters already in the team stepping up. Or youngsters stepping into fringe roles and performing. You don't often improve a good team by someone jumping from a lower level straight into the AFL midfield - unless the bloke is something special. If he does make the transition to AFL mid, it'll probably be slow. He's got until the end of next year.

I'd argue a 22yo player isn't a kid anymore.

Can't complain about not getting opportunities and then play midfield and get 6 touches in a half.

His other issue is he seems to have no other spot in the team. He obviously can't play half forward or back so he has to take.h8s chances.

The flip side of that is he is an inside mid and his role is to get it first and if he isn't the others need to get a turnover.

So maybe the 2nd quarter is partly his fault.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back