Player Watch Finlay Macrae

Remove this Banner Ad

Selection seems pretty logical to me. Sullivan more like-for-like for Mitchell, Markov into defence to free up Crisp, Pendles and NDaicos from that responsibility to replace JDG. Crisp especially. He's a 2x Copeleand trophy winner as a midfielder after all, who has been getting reduced midfield exposure this year.
Crisp is actually a far better HB than “midfielder “.

He riles into the midfield as that’s his gig. But he plays HB…..hence the stupidity of todays positioning!!

I'm tipping Macrae would’ve thought with two mids out, and his performance in the VFL over the last couple of weeks, he would’ve been pretty confident he would be playing against the Blues this Friday night.
I can see that we're obviously going to mix up our midfield group, and could have a few run through there to mix it up abit. So maybe the diversity opportunity cost Macrae a spot. The issue for Macrae is that we lose two mids at AFL level, and he still can't get a gig.
If the club won't play him much again this season, then hopefully the club will let him go at season’s end to a club where he may get more opportunities...

Why? Bianco has been doing well in VFL, hope he gets picked up by someone. Wont be us though, doesnt fit the way we play
Bianco accumulated cheap possessions in the VFL leading 15m from his teammates in the backline.

Finn averaged about half a dozen clearances and about 25 possessions a game in 2023. Those possessions weren’t useless stat padding touches either.

They weren’t similar players at all.

Actually in Holmes first 2021 season he played 12 games and averaged less than 10 disposals.

Macrae played 9 games in his first 2021 season and averaged close to 13 disposals.

The difference is that we then starved Macrae of opportunities for 2 seasons whilst Holmes continued to get game time and steadily improved as a result.

You can blame that on talent or you can blame that on poor development opportunities.

Great post. Chicken or egg? After 9 games in 2021, Fin has been on the ground for less than 2 full AFL games since.

(Reposted the following to get it out of the Carlton game day thread.)

Over the 7 quarters of footy in 2.5 years he's averaged (on a full game basis) 20 disposals, 8 tackles, 10 contested possessions, 2.5 clearances.

If that isn't enough as a 19-21 year old mid for an extended look, then they clearly don't rate what he does.

Particularly for an inside mid when Adams is gone, Titch is carrying an injury and we rank 16th in total clearances.

Data set here for Fin

Great post. Chicken or egg? After 9 games in 2021, Fin has been on the ground for less than 2 full AFL games since.

(Reposted the following to get it out of the Carlton game day thread.)

Over the 7 quarters of footy in 2.5 years he's averaged (on a full game basis) 20 disposals, 8 tackles, 10 contested possessions, 2.5 clearances.

If that isn't enough as a 19-21 year old mid for an extended look, then they clearly don't rate what he does.

Particularly for an inside mid when Adams is gone, Titch is carrying an injury and we rank 16th in total clearances.

Data set here for Fin
That’s an extremely misleading stat to use tbh. Using a subs stats over a total game is discounting many things including fatigue etc. if we applied the same to HH, he’s getting 21 disposals etc after his last quarter effort, issue being he was fresh legs against tired ones. Hence the reason for a sub.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crisp is actually a far better HB than “midfielder “.

He riles into the midfield as that’s his gig. But he plays HB…..hence the stupidity of todays positioning!!
His two Copeland trophies were from the midfield. The only two years where his primary role was in the midfield.

Bianco had classy skills, he wasn't a class player. A subtle, but important difference. He just didn't have the capacity to excel at senior level. Bianco would have looked like a world-beater in junior footy though
Agree - his skills didn’t translate as the senior level was too much for him physically

That’s an extremely misleading stat to use tbh. Using a subs stats over a total game is discounting many things including fatigue etc. if we applied the same to HH, he’s getting 21 disposals etc after his last quarter effort, issue being he was fresh legs against tired ones. Hence the reason for a sub.
It can actually work both ways.
Coming onto the ground with a quarter or less to go can’t be easy to get into the flow of the game.

Agree - his skills didn’t translate as the senior level was too much for him physically

Bianco was too small and too slow. Only opportunity really was to play wing, but those spots were all sewn up. Might have made it in a lesser team for a solid 100 game career before he was replaced. Role player, but the modern game is all about speed, and he couldn't get a hold of any...

Data set here for Fin

Just checked the data set. You're way out. His cumulative game time is 217% you've treated it as 2 games when it is basically 3 games at 72% game time. So his full game rate has been more like 13 disposals.

Not sure what Macrae’s career will end up like, but I’m fairly certain he’ll play more AFL games than Bianco.
Well that’s tantalising! Personally that’s an each way bet, but I’ll take Macrae.

I’m not confident he gets there with us I do think though that he’ll find a second home if he doesn’t and get some games there as a minimum. Thought provoking one and if Bianco gets back into the system I’ll back him in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back