Player Watch Finlay Macrae

Remove this Banner Ad

As a critic of fin happy to put my hand up and say well done kid. That’s the kind of game we’d hope you could bring. My concerns have centred on him being an inside mid, I’ve suggested try him on the wing, but he was very good in his role today. Def more suited to it!
Yeah that's his AFL role ATM. The queue for it is pretty deep though.

Actually in Holmes first 2021 season he played 12 games and averaged less than 10 disposals.

Macrae played 9 games in his first 2021 season and averaged close to 13 disposals.

The difference is that we then starved Macrae of opportunities for 2 seasons whilst Holmes continued to get game time and steadily improved as a result.

You can blame that on talent or you can blame that on poor development opportunities.

He had a great game today in a very different role to VFL.

Played high half forward and showed he was up to the pace of the game and wasn't overwhelmed. He got the system and linked up really well. Also played well when the ball turned over - 18 pressure acts. The goals were a bonus.

Now obvious he just needs more development opportunities, i.e. AFL game time, to keep improving.

He had a great game today in a very different role to VFL.

Played high half forward and showed he was up to the pace of the game and wasn't overwhelmed. He got the system and linked up really well. Also played well when the ball turned over - 18 pressure acts. The goals were a bonus.

Now obvious he just needs more development opportunities, i.e. AFL game time, to keep improving.
A few more injured, but a few should be back. It'll be line ball again in terms of selection.

A few more injured, but a few should be back. It'll be line ball again in terms of selection.
Hopefully they find a way to rotate the top 26-27 players through AFL games over the season if they are all up to the level.

Letting them wallow in the VFL stunts development and causes the potential to lose then due to lack of opportunity.

There is nothing wrong with resting our old guys, especially against lower-mid level teams.

Hopefully they find a way to rotate the top 26-27 players through AFL games over the season if they are all up to the level.

Letting them wallow in the VFL stunts development and causes the potential to lose then due to lack of opportunity.

There is nothing wrong with resting our old guys, especially against lower-mid level teams.

At least 26-27 players will play a significant role this year - like every year - you don't need to force it. Last year, with a good injury run, it was the premiership 23 plus Noble, Adams, McStay and Johnson.

This year it'll be 21 of the premiership 23 - those still at the club, plus Noble, Schultz, McStay if he returns. Then who knows out of Sullivan, Harrison, Macrae, Richards, Reef and Dean. You might need to extend it beyond 27 to ensure Finn is one of them. He's on the fringe of that 27 - with a few others.

Made strides today and built confidence.
Did fumble on a couple of occasions, thou linked well and hit the scoreboard.
Could rotate in the Lippa role?
Maybe not truly inside as thought.
Keep going Finn

Very solid today. He did well. With the injuries, no Jamie, Beau, Howe, HH or Bytel next week he should get another crack. Hopefully Jordy and Mitch are good for next week, if not Allan and Dean might be getting a gig also so Fin is safe.

Reckon the queue to stay in the 23 will be interesting in a few weeks when the injured filter back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

17 disposals. 3 goals. 5 score involvements.
It’s the type of game we didn’t expect but got from him.
Showed he can be a player. They would be pretty happy with that internally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They'd be really happy the way kids have just slotted straight into the system the lady two weeks.

The VFL team might suck at the moment, but it's doing its job and prepping blokes to play in our system.

It helps that Nick, Crisp, Pendles and Cameron are on fire and torching opposition midfields. Tom and Jordan who?

I did say to a few people at the vfl including fin himself that I had a good feeling he was gonna have a good game.
So glad it happened for him.

Now he needs to keep building from it. Hopefully he feels he now belongs.

They'd be really happy the way kids have just slotted straight into the system the lady two weeks.

The VFL team might suck at the moment, but it's doing its job and prepping blokes to play in our system.

It helps that Nick, Crisp, Pendles and Cameron are on fire and torching opposition midfields. Tom and Jordan who?

I think we just might be okay once these older players retire after all.

I think we just might be okay once these older players retire after all.

Yes and no. Youngsters played well, but Pendles, Crisp and Steele were awesome today. I think we'll get through it though.

As a critic of fin happy to put my hand up and say well done kid. That’s the kind of game we’d hope you could bring. My concerns have centred on him being an inside mid, I’ve suggested try him on the wing, but he was very good in his role today. Def more suited to it!

And what have we learned from this little experience, Storm? 😊

And what have we learned from this little experience, Storm? 😊
I think mine and others criticism has been that he’s not an inside mid. I still think that. He did get brushed aside a bit and lacks that strength. I did think we should trial him on the wing, but today showed that yup he can play the lvl and can play that hf role of required.

Him and Richard’s worked very well together

At least 26-27 players will play a significant role this year - like every year - you don't need to force it. Last year, with a good injury run, it was the premiership 23 plus Noble, Adams, McStay and Johnson.

This year it'll be 21 of the premiership 23 - those still at the club, plus Noble, Schultz, McStay if he returns. Then who knows out of Sullivan, Harrison, Macrae, Richards, Reef and Dean. You might need to extend it beyond 27 to ensure Finn is one of them. He's on the fringe of that 27 - with a few others.
Needs more Eyre.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back