Player Watch Finlay Macrae

Remove this Banner Ad

The only issue I have with Fins game yesterday was his tackling. Was shrugged off far too easily and ended up not sticking any that he attempted.

Get those numbers up and it’s a pretty complete game as a half forward/rotating mid.
He showed that his linking game can be an AFL as well as VFL strength, and that he can apply pressure, but he still needs to show that his contested game can stack up - it didn't need to yesterday such was our midfield dominance.

Sidey’s move back has also facilitated Crisp’s move into midfield. Not sure Macrae keeps his current role then once McCreery, Schultz and Elliott are back even if Lipinski is on a wing and performing well there.

Whatever happens, senior exposure is helpful to his development, so strap in.

Sidey’s move back has also facilitated Crisp’s move into midfield. Not sure Macrae keeps his current role then once McCreery, Schultz and Elliott are back even if Lipinski is on a wing and performing well there.

Whatever happens, senior exposure is helpful to his development, so strap in.
Whatever happens, I think we have a bit more confidence he can be a player at this level now. That's probably the taking away from this.
Everyone would be happy with what they saw. The people inside the club that always knew he was capable, the fans that knew his potential but wanted to see his breakout game and see that he does belong at this level.

Definitely a very good step forward for his development.

Fin was very good yesterday, and to see him kick 3 goals as a mid, will no doubt boost his confidence.
Probably tired out in the last quarter, due to our lack of rotations because of injuries.
Surprisingly his strength as a mid is his tackling ability. Yesterday he didn't register a tackle. He will need to be in and under against a stronger Adelaide midfield, and lay some tackles to stop them breaking clear from centre bounce....

The only issue I have with Fins game yesterday was his tackling. Was shrugged off far too easily and ended up not sticking any that he attempted.

Get those numbers up and it’s a pretty complete game as a half forward/rotating mid.
Some of his disposals seemed to float a bit in the air but that’s also a minor criticism

Fin was very good yesterday, and to see him kick 3 goals as a mid, will no doubt boost his confidence.
Probably tired out in the last quarter, due to our lack of rotations because of injuries.
Surprisingly his strength as a mid is his tackling ability. Yesterday he didn't register a tackle. He will need to be in and under against a stronger Adelaide midfield, and lay some tackles to stop them breaking clear from centre bounce....
Yup, he'll understand it wasn't a performance performance, that he could have done things better in that regard. Tackling is one thing is usually known for, so it's probably an outlier. He'll get to work on that for sure.

Was pretty hard to lay tackles when the opposition couldn't get hold of the pill!

Whatever happens, I think we have a bit more confidence he can be a player at this level now. That's probably the taking away from this.
Everyone would be happy with what they saw. The people inside the club that always knew he was capable, the fans that knew his potential but wanted to see his breakout game and see that he does belong at this level.

Definitely a very good step forward for his development.
To me it showed what we already knew - his linking game is above VFL, but there's still doubts on his contested game in terms of AFL. Rather than replacing Mitchell, we need to morph their strengths

To me it showed what we already knew - his linking game is above VFL, but there's still doubts on his contested game in terms of AFL. Rather than replacing Mitchell, we need to morph their strengths
Yeah
I think we also saw a different part of his game we didn't know he had.
A forward craft.
Even one of my most doubtful friends said..."I didn't know he had that in him."

Should spend the off season working on his strength and get stronger.

Yeah
I think we also saw a different part of his game we didn't know he had.
A forward craft.
Even one of my most doubtful friends said..."I didn't know he had that in him."

Should spend the off season working on his strength and get stronger.

Nice kicking - that's the big improvement in his game over summer. I thought they were hard running midfielder goals more than forward craft. It was a good game and he showed he can play the role that Adams played for us last year. Hopefully he stacks up when it's more contested.

Nice kicking - that's the big improvement in his game over summer. I thought they were hard running midfielder goals more than forward craft. It was a good game and he showed he can play the role that Adams played for us last year. Hopefully he stacks up when it's more contested.
Yeah, the adams role, thats exactly what a friend said it looked exactly. Half forward with stints in the midfield.
Gotta be pleased with what we saw. He hopefully can now grow from this and keep improving aspects of his game, along with the confidence in himself he now believes he belongs.

Yeah, the adams role, thats exactly what a friend said it looked exactly. Half forward with stints in the midfield.
Gotta be pleased with what we saw. He hopefully can now grow from this and keep improving aspects of his game, along with the confidence in himself he now believes he belongs.
Push up into the contest and then break forward as a linking option when we win it. He ticked the second half.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully he buys Richards a beer or three during the week. He assisted all 3 of his goals didn't he?

What's that word Bucks loves to use?

Nourishment?

Macrae got some nourishment this week for his strong efforts over the preseason which was great for him.

The goals he kicked pushing forward reminded me of what I saw down at Morwell over the Summer and it was a new string to his bow.

Like others have already pointed out right now he looks more comfortable at AFL level playing a linking role across half forward but he's going to have stiff competition to hold his place in that role when players return.

If you're looking for a downside then I don't think we got any evidence out of yesterday about his ability to compete as a full time mid at AFL level and drawing a correlation between him struggling to stick tackles and needing to keep improving his strength over the ball is probably fair.

Push up into the contest and then break forward as a linking option when we win it. He ticked the second half.
That’s still the concern. 0 tackles and 16 of 17 were uncontested. Won’t get that space against most teams, and we won’t win midfield so easily. Lot to work on to get close to Adam’s role.

Need a big off season in the gym

Crisp was midfield the week before. Sidey back indirectly replaced Howe in defence with Maynard moving to third tall, with the added advantage of Lippa to wing creating the forward mid spot for Macrae.

Midfield is an interesting watch. They've been magnificent the last 2 weeks. With Nick taking it up a level and Crisp back to form in the role where he won back to back bnfs. Is Mitchell an automatic with Jordy still to return?

Crisp was midfield the week before. Sidey back indirectly replaced Howe in defence with Maynard moving to third tall, with the added advantage of Lippa to wing creating the forward mid spot for Macrae.

Midfield is an interesting watch. They've been magnificent the last 2 weeks. With Nick taking it up a level and Crisp back to form in the role where he won back to back bnfs. Is Mitchell an automatic with Jordy still to return?
I can't see Mitchell replacing any of our midfield of the last 2 weeks, especially with JDG still to come in. We don't play players on reputation alone.

I think markov might struggle for a defence role once the mids return and if crisp has to play mid and hb again. Or if pendles has to play that role. Especially with Sidey going to half back, and Noble on hot form.

I think markov might struggle for a defence role once the mids return and if crisp has to play mid and hb again. Or if pendles has to play that role. Especially with Sidey going to half back, and Noble on hot form.
I'd be guessing. But if it was me, I'd keep Jack in the middle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back