Player Watch Flynn Appleby (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree I think Howe's disposal is suspect also. Always scares me when he has ball in hand.
As you've no doubt gathered, I'm happy to agree to disagree. The 6 against GWS was a career high with a couple of games around 5 prior to that. It's clearly an outlier. But at the same time he has more games where he's had 0 or 1. I'm confident that (barring injury) he'll be close to his career average come the end of the season and I'm also confident you'll also see that Appleby's numbers will climb, likely without any substantial increase in possessions.

Dunn is building (0, 1, 5, 3, 3, 4), don't worry, he'll get there, averaged 2.7 last year and heading in the same direction.

I certainly hope you're wrong about Dunn!

I certainly hope you're wrong about Dunn!
Dunn tends to bightnoff more than he can chew once or twice a game but more often than not in confortable with his kicks.

Frees against are clangers, Dunn has 12 of those out of 16 total clangers meaning he's turned it over 4 times in 6 games. Pretty comfortable with that. Langdon has 7 frees against out of 17 clangers, so 10 turnovers in 5 games.

Frees against are clangers, Dunn has 12 of those out of 16 total clangers meaning he's turned it over 4 times in 6 games. Pretty comfortable with that. Langdon has 7 frees against out of 17 clangers, so 10 turnovers in 5 games.

Sadly, it's just the raw numbers that draw the focus.

I'm not that happy with the amount of frees Dunn gives away either, but we don't have a plethora of big-bodied defenders either.

If someone on the list is developing in that role I'd be happy to see them get a gig over Dunn just the same as I'm happy to see Flynn get a lock-down role on damaging small forwards.

I'm not that happy with the amount of frees Dunn gives away either, but we don't have a plethora of big-bodied defenders either.

If someone on the list is developing in that role I'd be happy to see them get a gig over Dunn just the same as I'm happy to see Flynn get a lock-down role on damaging small forwards.
Even if we had a developing player I'd still play Dunn, let's not make the same mistakes as Melbourne.

Dunn is one of the best key defenders in the league

Hope I'm not going too early but maybe he could be out Neville Jetta

I can cope with the frees that he gives away...but it is the 50m's he gives away for which he needs his a*** kicked. After the mark or free, he plays the man which results in the 50m. He has had 5 so far this year for 4 goals. That does not include the extra free and goal he gifted to Higgins.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The most impressive thing for me is that the game was played in a "finals type" high intensity standard.

You couldn't even tell it was his first game.

Did his job well. :thumbsu:

The game was ferocious CFC, at least until the last quarter. Like I said elsewhere, Flynn was thrown into a cauldron and survived, some might even say he thrived.

Definately have something to work with here, hes a good mark, gets his body into good posts in one of ones, and he doesn't seem bothered by the step up. Still has a fair bit of work to do with structural setups. He let his opposition get goal side a few times yesterday which cost us a couple of goals. Back out for Maynard or Langdon once theyre fit enough again. But Flynn just adds an extra bit of depth we didn't know was there at the start of the year. Our depth is really good defensively this year. Now to sort out our forward line!

Yep, I think they got two goals in the third because our defence was hopeless. Two players flying, both miss punching the ball forward, ball spills to unguarded Lions who run into goal. Appleby was one culprit. Thought our defence was pretty hopeless to be honest. I see some rated Howe's game, but he started flying for spekkies when he should have been playing team footy and punching the ball. It's an old habit that seems to be reappearing and it's not good.

He made some rookie errors last night that he should learn from.

There were several times where he committed to the contest but didn't impact the contest which left his man getting the cheapy out the back. I think he will make a player though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back