Religion Folau

Remove this Banner Ad

As someone who considers himself pro-worker and is naturally suspicious of corporations, it wouldn't particularly bother me if Folau won his case. What will help him a touch is a reverse onus of proof applies - IOW, the ARU needs to positively discharge the assumption that their termination of Folau was due to his religious beliefs. There is also no contention that Folau can't perform the inherent requirements of his job due to his religious beliefs.

That said, I think that the ARU should be able to discharge such a burden in this case. The stated reason for Folau's termination was that he breached the ARU's code of conduct by making inflammatory comments. They seem to have had reasonable grounds for thinking that there was in fact a breach. That someone was sacked for breaching a code of conduct, and that breach was caused by making inflammatory comments that were inspired by their religious beliefs, does not mean that they were sacked because of their religion. To extend the analogy further, Folau could have been sacked for (say) making inflammatory comments about white people, and those comments might have been inspired by him (say) being an Islander, but that doesn't mean he was sacked because he was an Islander.

I do think that if Folau sued the ARU for wrongful termination/repudiation, rather than unlawful termination under the FWA, that he would be more likely to win damages. A breach of the ARU's code of conduct does not necessarily amount to a contractual breach, never mind one that justifies termination of the contract.

As someone who considers himself pro-worker and is naturally suspicious of corporations, it wouldn't particularly bother me if Folau won his case.
Same.

But it's a shame that any legislation will be driven by far right happy clappers who will resist any guarantees for workers freedom of expression on other issues.

Have whatever religious beliefs you like. Once it causes people to start preaching discrimination and hate speech it should be called out for it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yeah but if it is coming as a direct quote from the pages of the bible or the quran and it is hate speech...
Do you then consider the bible should be banned as hate speech

He can have religious beliefs he can voice them but when you condemn, denigrate people then that is a problem, when those comments are in conflict of that of your employer especially in such a highly publicised industry you will face consequences.

Like the intent, the employer bit is a bit more difficult - reality is a 3rd party is at play here, the sponsor with an activist CEO.

We've seen sponsorships pulled due to player misdemeanors, this time IMHO the sponsor wanted the player sacrificed.

Good try though L G.

No. I don't expect some store manager would make the call on Israel, it would come from corporate headquarters.

I expect that if Coles and/or Woolworths went that far, they'd have to be prepared to weigh up the potentially significant public backlash. Much like GoFundMe have probably done over the last few days.

And even if your insane hypothetical was to play out the way you seem to think it would; Folau is a millionaire with access to every farmers market and independent grocer under the sun. There'd be nothing stopping you taking him around a couple of steaks or a basket of vegetables, just like there's nothing stopping anyone handing him their bank details if they're desperate to hand over their hard-earned.

But again, that you'd equate access to a privately operated fundraising platform with access to food, water or medication is a good indication of how badly you culture war obsessions have unhinged you.

Oops. GFM seem to have made up a fictional ground for cancelling his campaign.

“any other activity that GoFundMe may deem in its sole discretion to be unacceptable”.

Seems fairly open and shut to me.

Gibbering in this thread is up there with people who threaten to take Chief to the High Court for every time a moderator gives them a red card.

No Ani isn't...

He is defending homosexuals from discrimination...
Discrimination that has been deemed OK and acceptable, because it's from one of the most powerful and influential 'corporations' of our lifetime...

you can accomodate both points of view unless you choose right & wrong aka discriminate. Then you need to be offended in which case?

It's a battle that now needs to be fought. It didn't have to be this way.

People could've chosen to ignore it, but no. He had to be punished. He had to be silenced.

It didn’t have to be this way because he didn’t have to be a bigot.

Freedom of speech isn’t about being a bigot. Regardless if you want to use your religion as reasoning for showing that side of you.

Sick of people like you making Folau to be the victim.

Warned once. Contract states he shouldn’t have done what he did. So he does it again. Definition of stupidity and bigotry.

Paint it any way you want. He started it and continued with it. No one else did

So when Folau sets up a paypal link on a website will Paypal ban him?

Will PayPal cut me off once they catch me donating?

Will visa cut me off also if my paypal was linked to my credit card?

They could do all of that and the left will happily support any and every such action to protect the feelings of what they deem to be a victim group.

Reckon your frequent flyers might take a haircut ;)

No. The point of the platform is that it gives a chance for people without the means to generate funds for things they really need. Im comfortable with them choosing not to platform him. He has plenty of other avenues to generate the funding.
You mean like skydiving weddings and such things?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It didn’t have to be this way because he didn’t have to be a bigot.

Freedom of speech isn’t about being a bigot. Regardless if you want to use your religion as reasoning for showing that side of you.

Sick of people like you making Folau to be the victim.

Warned once. Contract states he shouldn’t have done what he did. So he does it again. Definition of stupidity and bigotry.

Paint it any way you want. He started it and continued with it. No one else did

Stupidity is not a hanging offence & bigotry is not limited to matters religion.
Breadth of view, how do you stand on Mr Folau?

I expect that if Coles and/or Woolworths went that far, they'd have to be prepared to weigh up the potentially significant public backlash. Much like GoFundMe have probably done over the last few days.
What a world.

People's right to participate in society determined by corporations calculating the revenue lost from associating with them vs the revenue lost from the public backlash from shunning them.

Stupidity is not a hanging offence & bigotry is not limited to matters religion.

Why is it all that defend Folau talk in riddles and don’t hold him accountable to his own opinions and beliefs and actions.

Spouted my opinion on this waste of space multiple times. Have a look through if you actually care enough. As you are just deflecting from his actions by asking me this

No. The point of the platform is that it gives a chance for people without the means to generate funds for things they really need. Im comfortable with them choosing not to platform him. He has plenty of other avenues to generate the funding.
This is all very confusing. Folau has to the right to say whatever he wants and RA shouldn't have dismissed him. Then GFM takes away his fund raising platform and they don't have any rights to choose who uses their platform. Alternatively if a bank or PayPal also decide not to provide him with an account, they don't have any rights either.

Am I doing it right? So Folau is the victim?

I think you need to lay off what ever it is you are smoking.
Trying to pin me down as someone who hates someone I don't even know.
My employment dictates that I must follow their terms and conditions and if I breach them my employment can be terminated. And that is doubly important when it comes to social media.
I can still have my personal views on subjects and share them. But if i was to share it on a platform that could then link me to my place of employment and that has an adverse impact on them. Well then I must be prepared for the consequences.
That is called responsibility of my actions.

& if your employer tells you they have changed the contract ..... there have been consequences & we are watching it play out.

Last edited:
This is all very confusing. Folau has to the right to say whatever he wants and RA shouldn't have dismissed him. Then GFM takes away his fund raising platform and they don't have any rights to choose who uses their platform. Alternatively if a bank or PayPal also decide not to provide him with an account, they don't have any rights either.

Am I doing it right? So Folau is the victim?

I'm more offended than you are,
whats the score,
whatever you want it to be .....

“any other activity that GoFundMe may deem in its sole discretion to be unacceptable”.

Seems fairly open and shut to me.

It's nice to see the contemporary left (aka impostors) standing up for corporate rights. :thumbsu:

Karl Marx would be proud of you.

If I go into my work place and start saying all women deserve to be home bound. I’d be sacked quicker than you could blink.

Pretty sure the bible states this somewhere among its other rubbish.

If you had a million dollar contract and you can’t withhold your bigoted comments to keep in line with the contract. Stupidity is a hanging offence. Don’t sign it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back