Footy in South Africa

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking at PNG today and last saturday I wouldn't say that at all because the PNG have stepped up greatly.
I would be more worried about that they only just beat Fiji.

Sth Africa would not have copped a 100 point hiding to anyone in the last 9 years (they actually came 3rd by defeating Ireland 9 years ago).

That's a frightful hiding, not the sort of result you expect from a team that might be challenging for a top four finish.

So maybe you are right, maybe it's incorrect to describe Sth Africa as having plateaued, a better description might be that they appear to have completely fallen off the cliff.

Sth Africa would not have copped a 100 point hiding to anyone in the last 9 years

PNG thrashed the Revolution. Let's kick them in the guts as well etc etc.
Fiji are an up and coming side and the RSA just managed to beat them. That is a better comparison.
But then Fiji came out and beat Canada.
I know Canada has made huge advances in personnel and preparation all for nothing.
These scores in these games often tend not reflect the true situation.
Japan has been fantastic without results for years but this year only failed to super tall Croatia.
All I can say is go down and watch some games - you'll watch some great football.

PNG thrashed the Revolution. Let's kick them in the guts as well etc etc.
Fiji are an up and coming side and the RSA just managed to beat them. That is a better comparison.
But then Fiji came out and beat Canada.
I know Canada has made huge advances in personnel and preparation all for nothing.
These scores in these games often tend not reflect the true situation.
Japan has been fantastic without results for years but this year only failed to super tall Croatia.
All I can say is go down and watch some games - you'll watch some great football.

Crystal ball? Or are you talking about the Women's game that Canada won by a point?

I watched South Africa play on two occasions this year, going in hoping they'd progress to the top 4 or even push for a spot in the final as I enjoyed the style of footy they have played in past cups & on a more grand scale would love to see them rise to join the ranks of Ireland, PNG, USA and New Zealand as prime locations for footy to (A) have a substantial presence locally and (B) enter the AFL's and fan's psyches as sources of talent.

Unfortunately I generally agree with Gigantor that they seem to have plateaued. This is not an immediate cause for panic, but somewhat disappointing when couched against the predicted outputs from 10 or so years ago that there was talent to burn coming onto the scene with participation numbers in the tens of thousands and growing. Even in 2010 when GWS picked up Bayanda Sobetwa as the first SA born and taught player on an AFL team's scholarship list, it was anticipated by many that SA would be a proverbial gold mine in the years to come. I still hope that there is a chance for SA to have their own Jay Jay Peni, Kurt Heatherley or Padraig Lucey in the not too distant future, but I have more doubts now than I did pre-IC.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I generally agree with Gigantor that they seem to have plateaued. This is not an immediate cause for panic, but somewhat disappointing when couched against the predicted outputs from 10 or so years ago that there was talent to burn coming onto the scene with participation numbers in the tens of thousands and growing. Even in 2010 when GWS picked up Bayanda Sobetwa as the first SA born and taught player on an AFL team's scholarship list, it was anticipated by many that SA would be a proverbial gold mine in the years to come. I still hope that there is a chance for SA to have their own Jay Jay Peni, Kurt Heatherley or Padraig Lucey in the not too distant future, but I have more doubts now than I did pre-IC.

Totally agree. Other people are reading a LOT more into it.

Totally agree. Other people are reading a LOT more into it.
Great full page article today behind a paywall in the Weekend West on page 131 by Chief Football Writer Mark Duffield.
He gives his thoughts on the AFL venture into South Africa several years ago and why it partly failed.
He says partly because the game is still played there albeit on a reduced basis to what the original grand plans were.
What we find interesting is that he links the failure of the then new CEO Demitriou to continue with the South African program and who preferred to re-focus on NSW and QLD.
Mind you he is only expressing his opinion which he is entitled to, and that opinion is the first I have read anywhere because it was a bit of a mystery all round at the time.
I was curious why this stuff was revived and it appears that the Dockers are sort of interested in playing in LA against the Giants, and the Author approached both Perth Clubs about South Africa again but they are not interested.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back