Remove this Banner Ad

game_chromosome

Senior List
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
bigfooty_1.png

Hi Guys,

Welcome to the first devlog update for Footy Showdown. Just thought I'd update the community and show you guys some things. I plan to update something every two weeks though my twitter and facebook will show some tid bits like gifs and pics more often.

AI is probably the most important part of developing a footy game. Without it functioning like a footy player we don't have a footy game even if you can kick and handball. So we are focused on making sure the AI acts and makes decisions like a proper footy player. Things to think about are: How much time a player has to dispose of the ball, what disposal type to use, which player to target with the disposal, what part of the oval to direct the ball to to name a small few in a much larger ocean of possibilities.

In the below early pre-alpha AI test video, you'll see some of the above in action. Some things to keep in mind though is this is pre-alpha and a work in progress. Some animations are not in the engine yet such as: picking up the ball, different marking animations, bumping animations, and the tackle animations are place holder as well. As always pre-alpha is not final and plenty has and will change since this video as it was made earlier in the year. Much tweaking has taken place since then!!

But I could ramble on and on but you guys don't care you want the gameplay!! So here it is: enjoy!!

Wishlist on steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/13...
Follow on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FootyShowdown
Like on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/FootyShowdown

Thanks,

GC

View attachment 932274

Hi Guys,

Welcome to the first devlog update for Footy Showdown. Just thought I'd update the community and show you guys some things. I plan to update something every two weeks though my twitter and facebook will show some tid bits like gifs and pics more often.

AI is probably the most important part of developing a footy game. Without it functioning like a footy player we don't have a footy game even if you can kick and handball. So we are focused on making sure the AI acts and makes decisions like a proper footy player. Things to think about are: How much time a player has to dispose of the ball, what disposal type to use, which player to target with the disposal, what part of the oval to direct the ball to to name a small few in a much larger ocean of possibilities.

In the below early pre-alpha AI test video, you'll see some of the above in action. Some things to keep in mind though is this is pre-alpha and a work in progress. Some animations are not in the engine yet such as: picking up the ball, different marking animations, bumping animations, and the tackle animations are place holder as well. As always pre-alpha is not final and plenty has and will change since this video as it was made earlier in the year. Much tweaking has taken place since then!!

But I could ramble on and on but you guys don't care you want the gameplay!! So here it is: enjoy!!

Wishlist on steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/13...
Follow on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FootyShowdown
Like on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/FootyShowdown

Thanks,

GC

That's awesome, excited. Will there be gang tackles, soccer kicks, fend offs, scrummages, bananas, torpedos, grubbers, dribbling the ball by hand along the ground and a way to slow down the player from rushing the ball through their own goals? I could go on with questions or suggestions, but those are the big things missing from footy games. For critiques, I'm not a big fan of the camera shaking when there's a tackle or bump (a bit disorientating), but I love the "spoiled" visual and sound effect. You should also have a mini map of where the players are positioned up or down the field, or even an option for a mini split screen like in Mario Kart 64 if you wanted to be creative. For set shots, it should be dependent on how the ball is dropped onto the players foot, the wind and the run up technique. I think you should have the main camera and then a mini camera like I brought up before, that shows the player taking the set shot closer. Btw, I noticed there's some players running on the same spot, is that a known glitch? I'll try and think up more things, later, if you'd be open to suggestions. It'd be neat if you could find a Footy player to name the game after if they gave you permission. :D

Last edited:
That's awesome, excited. Will there be gang tackles, soccer kicks, fend offs, scrummages, bananas, torpedos, grubbers, dribbling the ball by hand along the ground and a way to slow down the player from rushing the ball through their own goals? I could go on with questions or suggestions, but those are the big things missing from footy games. For critiques, I'm not a big fan of the camera shaking when there's a tackle or bump (a bit disorientating), but I love the "spoiled" visual and sound effect. You should also have a mini map of where the players are positioned up or down the field, or even an option for a mini split screen like in Mario Kart 64 if you wanted to be creative. For set shots, it should be dependent on how the ball is dropped onto the players foot, the wind and the run up technique. I think you should have the main camera and then a mini camera like I brought up before, that shows the player taking the set shot closer. Btw, I noticed there's some players running on the same spot, is that a known glitch? I'll try and think up more things, later, if you'd be open to suggestions. It'd be neat if you could find a Footy player to name the game after if they gave you permission. :D
Hi thanks for your support and suggestions.

With regard to the picking up the ball animation, as I said in the original post this is an old video and the there is a pick up animation now. The gameplay is pre alpha so a lot has changed. There will be dribble kicks, tapping the ball by hand, torps, bananas, stabs and punts.

I think mini maps are redundant in footy games as there is really no time to use them and I never personally have needed on in a game. We have a system in our game to avoid the need for one which leaves more space on screen to play footy.

Also, this game is designed to be a fun, tactical footy game we are not going for a simulation realistic game. We'll leave that to the bigger budget footy games.

thanks again for the feedback and look forward to more.

GC.

Hi thanks for your support and suggestions.

With regard to the picking up the ball animation, as I said in the original post this is an old video and the there is a pick up animation now. The gameplay is pre alpha so a lot has changed. There will be dribble kicks, tapping the ball by hand, torps, bananas, stabs and punts.

I think mini maps are redundant in footy games as there is really no time to use them and I never personally have needed on in a game. We have a system in our game to avoid the need for one which leaves more space on screen to play footy.

Also, this game is designed to be a fun, tactical footy game we are not going for a simulation realistic game. We'll leave that to the bigger budget footy games.

thanks again for the feedback and look forward to more.

GC.
With regards to the mini map, I didn't mean you have to do a big budget complex thing, you could just have a graphic of the field with noughts and crosses to represent the players the positions on the field, so the gamer knows what's up ahead or behind the play. Similar to in AFL Live 1. Yeah, sorry, I noticed after writing you said that animation coming. Also will there be wind in the game?

I think the game might benefit from one as the field isn't large enough and it would be nice to see if you have players downfield to kick to, there were multiple times in the pre-alpha gameplay where you made blind kicks down the field.

The other thing that's hard for me to figure out from the video is whether a kick has gone through the goal, consider adding an umpire animation.

I think the game might benefit from one as the field isn't large enough and it would be nice to see if you have players downfield to kick to, there were multiple times in the pre-alpha gameplay where you made blind kicks down the field.

The other thing that's hard for me to figure out from the video is whether a kick has gone through the goal, consider adding an umpire animation.
We have another system to know where players are and hit targets down the field. Though there could always be an option to turn on the mini map if players so wish to use one. Also, the gameplay video was CPUvsCPU, no humans. It was to test movement, collisions, decision timing and animations etc. There is a white marker on the ground following the position of the ball so you can keep track of is proper direction. The game is in pre alpha stage and nothing is final and things will change. Rest assured there will be goal umpires with animations in the final product.

thanks,
GC

With regards to the mini map, I didn't mean you have to do a big budget complex thing, you could just have a graphic of the field with noughts and crosses to represent the players the positions on the field, so the gamer knows what's up ahead or behind the play. Similar to in AFL Live 1. Yeah, sorry, I noticed after writing you said that animation coming. Also will there be wind in the game?

We will work on the option to turn on a mini map or not so it can be up to player preference. The issue with mini maps in this type of game is pixel resolution. With it being so small already, a normal sized mini map will take up too much space on the screen. So having it not take up too much space while still showing information you can use will be tricky, though we will have on in there for those who want it.

Wind will be factor in the game, but only when taking set shots.

Thanks again for your feedback.

thanks,
GC

Really cool! Love the art style and what looks to be a nice open field. And some of the pixel art animations, particularly the kicking, are very nice to look at.

Steam wishlisted :)

Really cool! Love the art style and what looks to be a nice open field. And some of the pixel art animations, particularly the kicking, are very nice to look at.

Steam wishlisted :)
Hey thanks it's feedback like this that make us really want to deliver a great game. 😊 The way the players zone the field is at the forefront of our design plans. The kicking animation is our favourite too 😁 thanks again!!

GC

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WANT TO GET YOUR NAME IN THE GAME?!!

Our First Team Reveal!!
Introducing you to the Adelaide Ravens!
_Ravens_Logo.png

How?

Like our page on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/FootyShowdown
Like and share our team reveal post with the hashtag #GetYourNameInTheGame and you could have your real name, or fictional name* of your choice added to the 5 vacant name spots for each of our teams in the game!!

This week, you could win a spot on the Adelaide Ravens football team!!

There are 18 teams in the game so don't worry if you miss out, there will be 17 other chances to #GetYourNameInTheGame.
Also as always if you haven't already, please Wishlist on Steam and help keep the momentum going!!

*Name must be appropriate for a G rated game

Will there be multiple camera angles in the game? Like one where you can see more of the field? Also, how far will you be able to kick? Is it dependent on the player?
Only one camera angle. We have systems in the game to show down field that will be revealed later down the track. Max kick distance will be say from the goal square to the 50arc in game with a standard drop punt on Max power. Further for torps.

In Footy Showdown we grubber kick with the right stick!!

Nice, getting excited more for this than Evolution 2! I wanted to ask if there will be a button or mechanic where you can stop a player from rushing their own goal, if they're super close? A lot of footy games have this issue, it'd be cool if you could slow the player's momentum down quickly. Also, I think drop punts could be kicked past 50 metres, dependent on the player.

Nice, getting excited more for this than Evolution 2! I wanted to ask if there will be a button or mechanic where you can stop a player from rushing their own goal, if they're super close? A lot of footy games have this issue, it'd be cool if you could slow the player's momentum down quickly. Also, I think drop punts could be kicked past 50 metres, dependent on the player.
Are you referring to when an attackin player scoops up the ball close to goal and takes it over the line before kicking it?

Are you referring to when an attackin player scoops up the ball close to goal and takes it over the line before kicking it?
It happens even if you receive a hand pass or kick that hasn't been marked right next to the goal line, the player makes no attempt to keep it alive in many footy games. Maybe have a mechanic where you can hold the ball with one hand, so to keep the ball alive better say if the balls going out of bounds or to stop rushing your own goal. Also, will there be fend offs and gang tackles in this game? None of the other football games have ever done gang tackles.

It happens even if you receive a hand pass or kick that hasn't been marked right next to the goal line, the player makes no attempt to keep it alive in many footy games. Maybe have a mechanic where you can hold the ball with one hand, so to keep the ball alive better say if the balls going out of bounds or to stop rushing your own goal. Also, will there be fend offs and gang tackles in this game? None of the other football games have ever done gang tackles.

So far momentum across the goal line hasn't been an issue though will keep an eye out for it. No fend offs in this game though there will be gang tackles where if the defending players are close enough they will attempt to tackle which results in more than one player tackling at once. Thanks for your feedback so far.

So far momentum across the goal line hasn't been an issue though will keep an eye out for it. No fend offs in this game though there will be gang tackles where if the defending players are close enough they will attempt to tackle which results in more than one player tackling at once. Thanks for your feedback so far.
Even if a player passes the ball by hand pass or a play on kick to another player who is very close to the goal line? In all the footy games I've played, the player always rushes them, even around boundaries. Even the best one AFL Live 1 had that frustrating issue.

When is that tripping animation triggered? Is it just a random trip? Btw, will there be rain in the game, and will that trigger tripping more than usual?

When is that tripping animation triggered? Is it just a random trip? Btw, will there be rain in the game, and will that trigger tripping more than usual?
This isn't a tripping animation it is a "get up from being tackled" animation. Ignore the jump from running to being on the ground it is just a quick cut. There will be rain in this game for sure!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back