Coaching Staff Former Coach James Hird

Do you think Hird should coach Essendon again?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

He has great footy IQ, would be a good work from home strategy coach.

I agree with this; I think Hird, Voss & Buckley would all have made fantastic role coaches, but none appear likely to go down as successful senior coaches unless Buckley surprises us all.

As an aside, if we're going for any ex-Essendon player as a future head coach I'd say Caracella is looking a likely candidate.

I agree with this; I think Hird, Voss & Buckley would all have made fantastic role coaches, but none appear likely to go down as successful senior coaches unless Buckley surprises us all.

As an aside, if we're going for any ex-Essendon player as a future head coach I'd say Caracella is looking a likely candidate.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-01-14/premiers-focus-on-basics-not-next-big-thing

"I love seeing the development and helping players individually get better," he said.

"But I also love gluing the team together and the strategy of how to beat an opponent.

"I'd like to be a senior coach one day. Whether that happens or not is up to other people.

If the rumour of Worsfold going back to Perth comes true then we must get him the man is ready to coach.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worsfold not committing beyond 2018. Chief Executive announcing Hird welcome back. What should the Essendon supporters read into this? What would change in our game style if Hird took over again?
As unfair as it I cannot see that happening.

The media, the big execs, the general football public would stamp it right out.

Unfortunately it would open us up to a whole new world of bad publicity and distraction.

I would love to see it but I think you are being very optimistic on that one.

Bring them all back I say, along with Burkes Backyard on a Friday night.
Fridays with Hey Dad in the afternoon, followed by Rolf Harris and then the Cosby Show. After that the new season of house of cards starring Kevin Spacey, then it's James Hird coaching Essendon in a Friday night block buster.

**James Hird is nothing like the aforementioned people but the point is none of those things will ever happen.

James Hird set to make official return for Essendon’s 1993 premiership reunion

Mark Robinson, Chief Football Writer, Herald Sun
February 23, 2018 8:33pm
Subscriber only

JAMES Hird is set to make his first official appearance at Essendon since being effectively sacked as coach when the club celebrates the 25th anniversary of the “Baby Bombers”.

The 1993 premiership reunion will be held on May 10, the same night national inspiration and former captain Neale Daniher will be among four inductees to the club’s Hall of Fame.

Daniher attended Wednesday night’s season launch at Southbank with his wife Jan and was in good spirits.

The return of Hird, who departed in August, 2015, amid spiralling performances on the field and only months before the players’ doping bans, will please club officials and many fans.

“I will be there,” Hird told the Herald Sun.

“If I’m in the country I will definitely be going.

“I don’t have an axe to grind with the club.’’

6a06931f8e2cbe68822c2f7bbc189941

Former Essendon coach James Hird will return to the club to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the club’s 1993 premiership. Picture: Colleen Petch

Hird was only 20 when Essendon won that famous victory over Carlton in 1993.

His captain was Mark Thompson, who could not be contacted by the Herald Sun.

Thompson’s life has been eventful in recent months and he has previously spoken about falling out with football.

Club officials will seek out Thompson to attend the event, but in the end it might be up to Kevin Sheedy to help convince him. Sheedy coached the Bombers in 1993, the third of four premierships he won as coach.

“You can’t drag people to where they may or may not want to go,” Sheedy said.

“They’ve got to come by their own free will and have some fun — and they’ve still got that in them.

“I don’t know why I should be asking them personally because they should coming anyway, because it’s a team they played footy with, it’s as simple as that.

“I don’t how they’re feeling, but ’93 has got nothing to do with what happened in the past five years.”

Neale Daniher will join Harold Lambert, Roger Merrett and Dr Ian Reynolds in the Essendon Hall of Fame.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...n/news-story/04672c3d435d07229097a905624d48dc

“I don’t have an axe to grind with the club.’’

What a legend

Last edited:
Back