Fox sports world(usa) drops aussie rules....hehehehehe

Remove this Banner Ad

Matt_TY said:
As for you, World Football: I like the way you avoid the fact ASTN have signed to telecast USAFL matches.
Totally. This is huge. I can't think of a sport as new and small as usfooty that gets tv coverage.

smasha said:
FOOTBALL-The Sheeps Game.

Might as well be sheep-bloody boring -well most of the time hehe.

Aussie Rules-Greatest Game-Australias Game.

Rugby League... The Greatest Game Of All!

RL in Lebanon - started by members of the Sydney Lebanese community.

AR in Lebanon - started by members of the Melbourne Lebanese community.

Those crazy Australians!

They had three or four last time I spoke to Hashem Ouaida, aiming for a stable five-team domestic league within five years.

They're based in Tripoli though, whereas I think the RL are based in Beirut.

Read about them here ... the story's current as of last September/October.

The Melbourne based wing of the Lebanese Falcons will be back at the Multicultural Cup in early March.

LebaneseForces said:
Rugby League... The Greatest Game Of All!
game meaning something that can be picked up by watching for a short amount of time-tidllywinks,etc.i see laegue like mowing lawns-6 runs and empty catcher/6 tackles and kick.the variance is no catcher/no kick. a 1 dimensional game for the not-too-smart.think about it.

Leave it to the 'brains' at FoxSoccerChannel to get the thought stuck in their empty heads that people all over the United States want to watch soccer 24/7/365. Did they ever stop to think that if Americans truly liked soccer then professional soccer would have grown in this country by now?
Why is it that professional soccer is still in its' infancy over 30 years after it began in America if we Americans are so bonkers for soccer? Did they stop to think that the main reason soccer has never caught on at the professional level in this country is because of the NFL, and that because Americans are generally an agressive people who like aggressive sports which agression soccer is absolutely devoid of, while on the other hand Aussie Rules is full to running over with aggression. As it presently stands, not living near a USAFL city I will have to be content once more to follow the AFL via the Internet.
More of the same, no fix for a country boy footy addict. GO THE "ROOS!!!!!

David Stone said:
Leave it to the 'brains' at FoxSoccerChannel to get the thought stuck in their empty heads that people all over the United States want to watch soccer 24/7/365. Did they ever stop to think that if Americans truly liked soccer then professional soccer would have grown in this country by now?
Why is it that professional soccer is still in its' infancy over 30 years after it began in America if we Americans are so bonkers for soccer? Did they stop to think that the main reason soccer has never caught on at the professional level in this country is because of the NFL, and that because Americans are generally an agressive people who like aggressive sports which agression soccer is absolutely devoid of, while on the other hand Aussie Rules is full to running over with aggression. As it presently stands, not living near a USAFL city I will have to be content once more to follow the AFL via the Internet.
More of the same, no fix for a country boy footy addict. GO THE "ROOS!!!!!

There's a LOT of people that want a channel dedicated to soccer 24/7/365, hence this happening. There's actually so many people who want to watch soccer that there was already ANOTHER soccer channel in the US -- Gol TV -- but it tends to be marketed more to the latin markets. Face it, whether you like soccer or not -- it's WAY more popular than Australian football is here.

OK -- I kinda like soccer. There's no ice hockey on TV right now, footy is in the off-season, I don't like basketball or American football, and I absolutely HATE baseball. A friend who is a big soccer fan finally got me somewhat interested in a couple of teams a while back, and right now, that's about all that's on TV for me to watch, sportswise -- so I've been really getting into soccer more and more the last few months. No, it's nowhere NEAR as good a sport as hockey or footy, but it's also nowhere near as bad as all of it's detractors say it is, either. That being said, if I had to choose between watching an AFL home-and-away match or the World Cup Final (which are both on TV at the same time, for the sake of this argument), I would go for the footy game EVERY time -- even if it was Collingwood vs Carlton! Hell, I'd watch a VFL or SANFL game first.

But I realize I'm very much in the minority (mainly because most people in the States just haven't actually been exposed to footy, I suspect). There IS a HUGE population here that is into soccer. The reason why the professional league hasn't really taken off that well, is mainly because most ex-pats from other countries won't take it seriously and look down their noses at it, because it's not as good as (or in some cases, they just don't THINK it's as good as) the league back in their home country. And OF COURSE it's not -- because there is nowhere near as much money in the sport here as in England, Italy, Germany, Spain, etc. These "Euro-snobs" WILL watch EPL, Serie A, etc, games on the Fox Soccer Channel, but wouldn't DREAM of attending an inferior MLS match. And most native-born Americans won't embrace soccer the way the rest of the world does, because my xenophobic countrymen won't be ever interested in something brought over here by "them furreners", OR pay attention to any sport that we're not the best at (I suspect there's probably a lot of that attitude towards soccer in Australia and Canada, as well). This attitude also applies to footy somewhat, until people actually SEE the game -- they're much more receptive to it once they see how fast-paced, aggressive and hard-hitting it is. Most people LOVE it, once they've actually seen it...

So, yeah, I have no problem whatsoever with Fox starting an all-soccer channel -- I just think the way they went about it is extremely DUMB. What they SHOULD have done is started a totally new, DIFFERENT Fox Soccer Channel, and moved all soccer programming on FSW over to it. Then they could have expanded the rugby coverage on FSW, moved the Australian football to better timeslots (and perhaps even... oh, I don't know -- started showing some LIVE games??? I will NEVER understand how they could show live rugby games from Oz and NZ, but not footy...), and start showing again some of the sports that they used to show, like cricket, Gaelic games, etc. And I'm sure there's still ALL KINDS of other sports that they could find to fill up FSW -- curling? Camel racing? Hell, I don't know. Then they could have made both FSW and FSC available to cable and satellite companies only together as a package (if you take one, you have to take both -- to ensure that they all pick up FSC, and KEEP FSW -- but, make the package cost about the same, or not MUCH more, than FSW was by itself -- to ensure that they don't just drop both...).

But I guess that would have made too much sense, huh? :rolleyes:

Centimetre Perfect said:
There's a LOT of people that want a channel dedicated to soccer 24/7/365, hence this happening. There's actually so many people who want to watch soccer that there was already ANOTHER soccer channel in the US -- Gol TV -- but it tends to be marketed more to the latin markets. Face it, whether you like soccer or not -- it's WAY more popular than Australian football is here.

OK -- I kinda like soccer. There's no ice hockey on TV right now, footy is in the off-season, I don't like basketball or American football, and I absolutely HATE baseball. A friend who is a big soccer fan finally got me somewhat interested in a couple of teams a while back, and right now, that's about all that's on TV for me to watch, sportswise -- so I've been really getting into soccer more and more the last few months. No, it's nowhere NEAR as good a sport as hockey or footy, but it's also nowhere near as bad as all of it's detractors say it is, either. That being said, if I had to choose between watching an AFL home-and-away match or the World Cup Final (which are both on TV at the same time, for the sake of this argument), I would go for the footy game EVERY time -- even if it was Collingwood vs Carlton! Hell, I'd watch a VFL or SANFL game first.

But I realize I'm very much in the minority (mainly because most people in the States just haven't actually been exposed to footy, I suspect). There IS a HUGE population here that is into soccer. The reason why the professional league hasn't really taken off that well, is mainly because most ex-pats from other countries won't take it seriously and look down their noses at it, because it's not as good as (or in some cases, they just don't THINK it's as good as) the league back in their home country. And OF COURSE it's not -- because there is nowhere near as much money in the sport here as in England, Italy, Germany, Spain, etc. These "Euro-snobs" WILL watch EPL, Serie A, etc, games on the Fox Soccer Channel, but wouldn't DREAM of attending an inferior MLS match. And most native-born Americans won't embrace soccer the way the rest of the world does, because my xenophobic countrymen won't be ever interested in something brought over here by "them furreners", OR pay attention to any sport that we're not the best at (I suspect there's probably a lot of that attitude towards soccer in Australia and Canada, as well). This attitude also applies to footy somewhat, until people actually SEE the game -- they're much more receptive to it once they see how fast-paced, aggressive and hard-hitting it is. Most people LOVE it, once they've actually seen it...

So, yeah, I have no problem whatsoever with Fox starting an all-soccer channel -- I just think the way they went about it is extremely DUMB. What they SHOULD have done is started a totally new, DIFFERENT Fox Soccer Channel, and moved all soccer programming on FSW over to it. Then they could have expanded the rugby coverage on FSW, moved the Australian football to better timeslots (and perhaps even... oh, I don't know -- started showing some LIVE games??? I will NEVER understand how they could show live rugby games from Oz and NZ, but not footy...), and start showing again some of the sports that they used to show, like cricket, Gaelic games, etc. And I'm sure there's still ALL KINDS of other sports that they could find to fill up FSW -- curling? Camel racing? Hell, I don't know. Then they could have made both FSW and FSC available to cable and satellite companies only together as a package (if you take one, you have to take both -- to ensure that they all pick up FSC, and KEEP FSW -- but, make the package cost about the same, or not MUCH more, than FSW was by itself -- to ensure that they don't just drop both...).

But I guess that would have made too much sense, huh? :rolleyes:

Soccer is more popular but it it's no aussie rules.

That's the bottom line for us aussies. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LebaneseForces said:
Speak for yourself mate...
i believe crowd figures do the speaking for aussie rules...you can include double headers,state of origin(two states??) internationals(?) crowd figures to bolster leagues numbers,it still wont work..

pekay-norwest said:
i believe crowd figures do the speaking for aussie rules...you can include double headers,state of origin(two states??) internationals(?) crowd figures to bolster leagues numbers,it still wont work..

Who cares mate? When you SAY US AUSSIE'S It's either 100% of the Australian People or you don't talk on our behalf! Now when i last checked 100% of Australian's don't like or follow or have any interest at all with AFL... Crowd figures in AFL are great... Well Done... Rugby League crowds are at 15,000 per game for the NRL and on the increase every year pretty much which is great aswell... AFL didn't go through a war that almost ripped apart the game like Rugby League did (Not that i'm saying our crowds would be near the AFL crowds but they would be over 20,000 easily imo) and survived... Everyone in here loves too say Rugby League is dying and a dead sport walking etc etc...
Rugby League was almost dead but it';s coming back and getting stronger by the year! You cannot keep this game down, it has a stubborn and fighting spirit that other sports (Esp. Union). try too kill but just can't!
Crowds are up, Ratings Up, Merchandise Sales Up, Interest Up, Juniors Up, A 16th team is hopefully going too be admitted, Media interest Is Up, Talk about Sonny Bill Williams is overshadowing everything else and the season hasn't even started.

Rugby League is as much Australian As AFL and Cricket is!
Long Live Rugby LEAGUE!

LebaneseForces said:
Rugby League is as much Australian As AFL and Cricket is!Long Live Rugby LEAGUE!

Rugby League, Cricket = Invented in England

Australian Rules Football = Invented in Australia

Don't bother arguing. You can't possibly win this argument.

Pantsless said:

The guy that invented it came from England (Played Rugby) and it's a hybrid game of Rugby n Gaelic... That's not the point though... It's not liked by ALL AUSTRALIAN's So don't say crap like "for US AUSSIES" etc It's not for all Australians And MOre Australians would have no interest in it what so ever then Australian's that would... ;)

LebaneseForces said:
The guy that invented it came from England (Played Rugby) and it's a hybrid game of Rugby n Gaelic... That's not the point though... It's not liked by ALL AUSTRALIAN's So don't say crap like "for US AUSSIES" etc It's not for all Australians And MOre Australians would have no interest in it what so ever then Australian's that would... ;)

I can’t believe that I deign to answer someone like yourself, but here we go.

The original comment was accurate. Because it was quite obviously a general comment. The MAJORITY of sport-loving Aussies prefer footy over Soccer. And, incidentally, footy over rugby.

You have a pointless and inaccurate argument going there. In your view, a statement like 'Us Aussies would rather vote in our leader than live in a dictatorship' would be completely inaccurate because some guy in Dandenong is a Hitler admirer.

Why, oh why do you need to defend your code where no defence is needed? {Please, enjoy your sport. Don’t live in fear that your dying code may not be here in 10 years. Doing that will only make you come onto an international AFL board and spew crap about how not all Aussies prefer AFL to rugby. No one here cares.

P.S. Your 'knowledge' of footy's origins should be kept to yourself. For your own sake.

Fire said:
I can’t believe that I deign to answer someone like yourself, but here we go.

The original comment was accurate. Because it was quite obviously a general comment. The MAJORITY of sport-loving Aussies prefer footy over Soccer. And, incidentally, footy over rugby.

You have a pointless and inaccurate argument going there. In your view, a statement like 'Us Aussies would rather vote in our leader than live in a dictatorship' would be completely inaccurate because some guy in Dandenong is a Hitler admirer.

Why, oh why do you need to defend your code where no defence is needed? {Please, enjoy your sport. Don’t live in fear that your dying code may not be here in 10 years. Doing that will only make you come onto an international AFL board and spew crap about how not all Aussies prefer AFL to rugby. No one here cares.

P.S. Your 'knowledge' of footy's origins should be kept to yourself. For your own sake.

Fair Enough... I couldn't care less about how AFL originated mate! Wasn't their a thread on this board a year or so ago that said it was a hybrid game of Rugby n Gaelic or soccer??? I'm pretty sure their was!
Nah you see NSW n QLD n ACT the majority(Clear) prefer RUgby League = 50% Of Australian Population
VIc, SA, WA, TAS and Not so much NT But majority there (Lots of Rugby League supporters there) prefer AFL = 50% of Australia Population.

Fire said:

Footy doesnt = AFL sorry mate!!!!
Rugby as in Rugby Union??? Yeah i agree...

smasha said:
Soccer is more popular but it it's no aussie rules.

That's the bottom line for us aussies. :)

What a load of crap. I'd prefer football (soccer as you may call it) over aussie rules. And I can safely say most people in Sydney would too. Although I love watching the swans, the reality is, they are still a novelty in Sydney.

Bring on the a-league

Pantsless said:
Cricket is our national game. It is a great Australian past time spanning many generations of followers.

Rugby League is the preferred winter sport of NSW & QLD. It is a great Austrlaian past time spanning many generations of followers.

Aussie Rules is the preferred winter sport of VIC SA WA TAS. It is a great Australian past time spanning many generations of followers.

I'll win this argument fairly easily. While you're correct in saying RL and cricket were invented in England while Aussie Rules was invented in Melbourne... they are all great Australian past times firmly entrenched into the Australian sporting psyche. Thats all that matters.

Your best argument is my game is more Australian than your game bcoz it was invented here. Thats pety and stupid.

Pantsless said:
Most AFL fans don't even know there is a difference.
Yeah its not their fault. Nobody blames them for being ignorant.

They only become ignorant fools open to ridicule once they pass comment about either game and fail to properly distinguish between them in the accepted fashion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back