Opinion Frankston. What can be done about it?

Frankston: What should be dona about it?

• Dome it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We have a similar business. I've got a landscape business and we also do garden maintenance. Made the switch about 5 years ago and have never regretted it. My back is fooked now though so I have had to employ people do do the hard stuff recently and that has kinda messed with the profitability and peace of mind thing. Hope it's going well for you.

I am just starting really trying to build a client base but I am only getting crap jobs so far, I just got ripped off big time lol. But I haven't really started advertising, getting work from friends but its alright if I start slow because Ive got two other gardening blokes I work for but got sick of getting paid peanuts to do the hard yards while they make 4 times what I do doing the easy part so I saved up and bought all the gear and hoping to clean up come spring time.

I was told about this website called airtasker where you bid on jobs and one come up for a lawn now in Hallam, 25kms away but I need to get ball rolling to recoup my costs so I bid $30, got it, realised airtasker taking $7.50 so I'm getting 22.50 so I already know I'm getting stuff all for this job...

So the front looks alright, go out the back its over a foot long and there are little rocks all through it from the garden bed so I'm shitting myself I will put a rock through the window doing the edges and then my brand new $1750 Honda self propelled mower has to go over these rocks... got shafted big time, she totally misrepresented the job and also there was large garden beds with really long grass, I didn't go in there... I quoted for a lawn edge mow and blow so I'm not doing it, I already been there over an hour and drove 50kms round trip for 22 bucks minus equipment costs so I said nope I'm not even slashing it and wasting another meter of cord because that's not the deal.

I bet she will give me a bad review though for not doing it... ******* cheapskate. They think there is no difference between 3 inch grass and knee high grass...

May I ask what your logic is behind this? Couldn't you buy a place on an interest only loan, which should be a similar cost to renting, keep saving at your current rate, then when you have enough to buy outright, sell your current abode for a profit or rent it out? (Assuming you're still a few years away from reaching your savings goal).

I have a big aversion to being in debt and everyone I know with a mortgage says they have been paying 500 a week or more to a 30000k mortgage for 5 years and their mortgage has gone down bugger all...

Whereas I pay half that in rent and the savings has allowed me to start my own business and I have no debt... by my calculations I will be way in front and own a house before them if the share market is friendly but I think I am onto something, I believe we are due for a recession, the last one was 8 years ago, the one before that 8 years previous and seem to coincide with a new US president. Both recessions plunged the share market by about 35% in a year then the following year it rose 35% and then about 10% a year for the next 6-7 years before it crashes again...

So im just going to save, wait for it to crash and hit rock bottom then get in and make a big return is the plan...

I have a big aversion to being in debt and everyone I know with a mortgage says they have been paying 500 a week or more to a 30000k mortgage for 5 years and their mortgage has gone down bugger all...

Whereas I pay half that in rent and the savings has allowed me to start my own business and I have no debt... by my calculations I will be way in front and own a house before them if the share market is friendly but I think I am onto something, I believe we are due for a recession, the last one was 8 years ago, the one before that 8 years previous and seem to coincide with a new US president. Both recessions plunged the share market by about 35% in a year then the following year it rose 35% and then about 10% a year for the next 6-7 years before it crashes again...

So im just going to save, wait for it to crash and hit rock bottom then get in and make a big return is the plan...
For a guy in your situation.. it's actually a really good plan. Might be your ticket out of Frankston :p:D

I am just starting really trying to build a client base but I am only getting crap jobs so far, I just got ripped off big time lol. But I haven't really started advertising, getting work from friends but its alright if I start slow because Ive got two other gardening blokes I work for but got sick of getting paid peanuts to do the hard yards while they make 4 times what I do doing the easy part so I saved up and bought all the gear and hoping to clean up come spring time.

I was told about this website called airtasker where you bid on jobs and one come up for a lawn now in Hallam, 25kms away but I need to get ball rolling to recoup my costs so I bid $30, got it, realised airtasker taking $7.50 so I'm getting 22.50 so I already know I'm getting stuff all for this job...

So the front looks alright, go out the back its over a foot long and there are little rocks all through it from the garden bed so I'm shitting myself I will put a rock through the window doing the edges and then my brand new $1750 Honda self propelled mower has to go over these rocks... got shafted big time, she totally misrepresented the job and also there was large garden beds with really long grass, I didn't go in there... I quoted for a lawn edge mow and blow so I'm not doing it, I already been there over an hour and drove 50kms round trip for 22 bucks minus equipment costs so I said nope I'm not even slashing it and wasting another meter of cord because that's not the deal.

I bet she will give me a bad review though for not doing it... ******* cheapskate. They think there is no difference between 3 inch grass and knee high grass...
I think it's great you've done that and you have exactly the right idea.. you will make more money yourself than working for someone else in this business.... as long as you can self motivate.

Forget the internet jobfinders. Forget the local paper (although it may be different where you are so try it first... it just wasn't useful up here for some reason), forget Google, facebook and websites. Focus on these 3 main sources: Gumtree and other such free web ads, cards at real estate agents and try to be put on their contractor list; but most importantly.. by far the best in my experience... is direct marketing through leaflets drops. And my handy hint about this... don't pay for shiny glossy leaflets.. Do a word or excel leaflet; make it small so you get 6 to a page; make it look home made, put some set headline prices in it.. eg... prune and remove a ute load of greenwaste $100. The non-glossy home made look seems to work.. maybe it stands out as a black and white cut out in amongst the glossy colored ads; or maybe people think.. he'll be cheap! Print them out at office works at 8c per page.. at 6 per page that is 1.33cent per leaflet!!! In your spare time.. walk them out yourself. When you get too busy.. pay leaflet deliverers. For both landscaping, rubbish removal and garden maintenance work... leaflets are by far and away my best source of new work for my business. You got a ute and trailer? If you can get handy with a chainsaw and pole saw there is good money in small tree removal... but only if you know what you're doing.. too risky otherwise.. for everyone including you.

Also... I would recommend doing a small engines repair and maintenance course because getting anything repaired for a reasonable price these days is a joke and you will save yourself a mint in the long run if you can do it yourself.. both in costs and lost income due to downtime (although you should always have backup everythings.. mowers. hedgers, the works).
My other big tip.. always OVER quote.. if it means you lose a few more.. who cares as long as you are getting the ones that pay you well.... which all comes back to keeping up the marketing... avoid underselling your time at all costs...

I think it's great you've done that and you have exactly the right idea.. you will make more money yourself than working for someone else in this business.... as long as you can self motivate.

Forget the internet jobfinders. Forget the local paper (although it may be different where you are so try it first... it just wasn't useful up here for some reason), forget Google, facebook and websites. Focus on these 3 main sources: Gumtree and other such free web ads, cards at real estate agents and try to be put on their contractor list; but most importantly.. by far the best in my experience... is direct marketing through leaflets drops. And my handy hint about this... don't pay for shiny glossy leaflets.. Do a word or excel leaflet; make it small so you get 6 to a page; make it look home made, put some set headline prices in it.. eg... prune and remove a ute load of greenwaste $100. The non-glossy home made look seems to work.. maybe it stands out as a black and white cut out in amongst the glossy colored ads; or maybe people think.. he'll be cheap! Print them out at office works at 8c per page.. at 6 per page that is 1.33cent per leaflet!!! In your spare time.. walk them out yourself. When you get too busy.. pay leaflet deliverers. For both landscaping, rubbish removal and garden maintenance work... leaflets are by far and away my best source of new work for my business. You got a ute and trailer? If you can get handy with a chainsaw and pole saw there is good money in small tree removal... but only if you know what you're doing.. too risky otherwise.. for everyone including you.

Also... I would recommend doing a small engines repair and maintenance course because getting anything repaired for a reasonable price these days is a joke and you will save yourself a mint in the long run if you can do it yourself.. both in costs and lost income due to downtime (although you should always have backup everythings.. mowers. hedgers, the works).
My other big tip.. always OVER quote.. if it means you lose a few more.. who cares as long as you are getting the ones that pay you well.... which all comes back to keeping up the marketing... avoid underselling your time at all costs...

All this discussion of enterprise and gainful employment... We're still in the Franga fred aren't we?

All this discussion of enterprise and gainful employment... We're still in the Franga fred aren't we?
lol yes good point.. I seem to have derailed and undermined my own thread.

Back on track now....
So yeah... Sirlothie.. my other tip is watch out for used syringes when you're whipper snipping in North Frankston ok. Could be nasty.

Thanks for the tips! I was going to get glossy leaflets from vista print but I will take your advice. On vista print though currently they are doing a deal you get 250 business cards and only pay the 7.99 delivery fee!

I have heard similar about real estate agents and paid ads...

I'm actually operating out of the back of my Astra at the moment lol... I was saving up to get a cheap van for about $3000 and then I thought hang on a sec, the van is not going to make me money, the tools are... so I heard a few people saying they needed work done so I thought bugger it and went out and got a mower, blower and multi tool with only edge trimmer attachment... so basically set myself up just as a mower to start off and bought a few white sacks... but then already I keep adding to it like a rake, 2 stroke oil, jerry cans, cord, secateurs... I have a small 6x4 trailer I can use but still need to get a cage put on it but yeah I am quite limited and in 2 weeks since I got the tools I have already done about 5 jobs and 2 look like turning into regular gigs so I need to get the van ASAP... and I haven't advertised at all yet apart from just mentioning to people I know what I am doing...

I need to get better at quoting, I am massively underquoting at present... I didn't spend all this money plus registration and all that to make $20 an hour minus expenses... my mates I know make like 60-70 an hour, and they get me to work for them, give me 20 an hour, still charge me out also at 60-70 an hour, so they are getting what 120 an hour! That's what I need to do and I want to establish a regular 3 weekly mow round, my advantage is I am quite fit and strong so compared to most blokes you see out there who are in their 40's or 50's or even older and carrying a bit, I can leave them for dead in how fast I can work and still do a very good job because I have been doing it for 5 years now so I am very good with the brush cutter and can also trim hedges and do everything basically...

So yeah I just need to find some regular gigs hopefully in the same area, I bumped the lady I did today from $25 up to $40 once a month in Hallam so I might do my first leaflet drop around there, even though it's 25km away I don't like my chances in Frankston of people coughing up every 3 weeks lol and where I usually work (bayside, Cheltenham to Albert Park) is flush with millions of gardening blokes already.... they are everywhere there...

I'm actually operating out of the back of my Astra at the moment lol... I was saving up to get a cheap van for about $3000 and then I thought hang on a sec, the van is not going to make me money, the tools are... so I heard a few people saying they needed work done so I thought bugger it and went out and got a mower, blower and multi tool with only edge trimmer attachment... so basically set myself up just as a mower to start off and bought a few white sacks... but then already I keep adding to it like a rake, 2 stroke oil, jerry cans, cord, secateurs... I have a small 6x4 trailer I can use but still need to get a cage put on it but yeah I am quite limited and in 2 weeks since I got the tools I have already done about 5 jobs and 2 look like turning into regular gigs so I need to get the van ASAP... and I haven't advertised at all yet apart from just mentioning to people I know what I am doing...

I need to get better at quoting, I am massively underquoting at present... I didn't spend all this money plus registration and all that to make $20 an hour minus expenses... my mates I know make like 60-70 an hour, and they get me to work for them, give me 20 an hour, still charge me out also at 60-70 an hour, so they are getting what 120 an hour! That's what I need to do and I want to establish a regular 3 weekly mow round, my advantage is I am quite fit and strong so compared to most blokes you see out there who are in their 40's or 50's or even older and carrying a bit, I can leave them for dead in how fast I can work and still do a very good job because I have been doing it for 5 years now so I am very good with the brush cutter and can also trim hedges and do everything basically...

So yeah I just need to find some regular gigs hopefully in the same area, I bumped the lady I did today from $25 up to $40 once a month in Hallam so I might do my first leaflet drop around there, even though it's 25km away I don't like my chances in Frankston of people coughing up every 3 weeks lol and where I usually work (bayside, Cheltenham to Albert Park) is flush with millions of gardening blokes already.... they are everywhere there...
Ute would be better than a van imo. It opens up more options - rubbish removal for example. Under-quoting is a BIG problem.. especially when you aren't flush with work and starting out. My experience is.. I'd prefer to go without the work and chill at home than work for peanuts. When you are being underpaid for work, and that work turns out to be shitty as well... doesn't make for a happy gardening chappy. For the mows: set a minimum per job... mine is $60... no matter how small it is. Any less and it's not worth your time bothering with. Speaking of shitty... charge extra for doing places with dogs!.. and watch out for all the pitbulls down your way!;):D
Get those leaflets out there and the work will start to roll in..

Ute would be better than a van imo. It opens up more options - rubbish removal for example. Under-quoting is a BIG problem.. especially when you aren't flush with work and starting out. My experience is.. I'd prefer to go without the work and chill at home than work for peanuts. When you are being underpaid for work, and that work turns out to be shitty as well... doesn't make for a happy gardening chappy. For the mows: set a minimum per job... mine is $60... no matter how small it is. Any less and it's not worth your time bothering with. Speaking of shitty... charge extra for doing places with dogs!.. and watch out for all the pitbulls down your way!;):D
Get those leaflets out there and the work will start to roll in..

Geez $60 min... That would be alright...

The reason I'm going van is I live in a unit... At the moment I am putting everything in the spare room, with a van I can just leave it all in there but ute I have to take it all out... Its just a temporary measure..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geez $60 min... That would be alright...

The reason I'm going van is I live in a unit... At the moment I am putting everything in the spare room, with a van I can just leave it all in there but ute I have to take it all out... Its just a temporary measure..
I guess I do the $60 min because the mowing side is not really the focus of my business so it has to pay ok if I'm going to take time away from landscaping projects. (Often I find the garden maintenance side can lead to landscaping work so it's very useful to be in both). Still don't think you should go lower than $50. Set it as your minimum. Vans have the advantage of being secure I guess and if you get the trailer set up then you can do the other stuff like mulching and rubbish removal with that.

I guess I do the $60 min because the mowing side is not really the focus of my business so it has to pay ok if I'm going to take time away from landscaping projects. (Often I find the garden maintenance side can lead to landscaping work so it's very useful to be in both). Still don't think you should go lower than $50. Set it as your minimum. Vans have the advantage of being secure I guess and if you get the trailer set up then you can do the other stuff like mulching and rubbish removal with that.

I have a small trailer 6x4 but need a cage so yeah I'm running with a small setup at first and eventually hope to get a proper mowing trailer and a hilux or something but I never take loans or credit...

I'm getting in to get out too though, I don't want to be mowing lawns 40 hours a week in my 50's, that has happened to my mate now his knees are shot and he can't do the work anymore... basically I hope to build a profitable round, do it for maybe 5 years, save and then sell the round, get into an easier, more profitable business...

I notice pizza shops turn over a lot and they don't raise much of a sweat... ;)

I have a small trailer 6x4 but need a cage so yeah I'm running with a small setup at first and eventually hope to get a proper mowing trailer and a hilux or something but I never take loans or credit...

I'm getting in to get out too though, I don't want to be mowing lawns 40 hours a week in my 50's, that has happened to my mate now his knees are shot and he can't do the work anymore... basically I hope to build a profitable round, do it for maybe 5 years, save and then sell the round, get into an easier, more profitable business...

I notice pizza shops turn over a lot and they don't raise much of a sweat... ;)
mmmm pizza.

Char grilled souvlaki as well???

An update on the locals. I stayed until 3/4 time at the VFL today, but it was interesting observing the Frankston supporters, from an anthropological perspective. Must say they enjoy their footy, with bongo drums, an air raid siren and another musical instrument - might have been a trumpet.

Hadn't heard the 'C' word yelled at the footy in a very long time, but I did today. Also p**fter. And my husband heard one fan urging Frankston to 'stab' one of our players. Driving away from the ground, we passed a gun and ammunition shop. All legal of course, but I don't see many in my protected inner Melbourne enclave.

I'm not judging, just observing. And probably no worse than we would have dished out at Vic Park in the 60s and 70s.

But you are judging. Albeit from an "anthropological" perspective ;) And why can't you judge? It is now 2016, not 1960.

On the flip side, 76's post below thinks these vibrant attributes give a suburb "some soul, some spirit".

Maybe, maybe not. I mean, the projects in East St. Louis are so much more spirited than Boca Raton. But would I want to live there? No. Call me soulless (I've been called worse).

PS I assume the C word was "Carlton". Agree that is extremely provocative. And "stab" could have been a stab pass. Have to look at the bright side...

But you are judging. Albeit from an "anthropological" perspective ;) And why can't you judge? It is now 2016, not 1960.

On the flip side, 76's post below thinks these vibrant attributes give a suburb "some soul, some spirit".

Maybe, maybe not. I mean, the projects in East St. Louis are so much more spirited than Boca Raton. But would I want to live there? No. Call me soulless (I've been called worse).

PS I assume the C word was "Carlton". Agree that is extremely provocative. And "stab" could have been a stab pass. Have to look at the bright side...

The threatened stabbing definitely involved a knife and not a ball; and the 'C' word was not related to Carlton, although I can see a relationship there.:D

Please tell me which rich area is worse than Frankston Dave. I await your response with baited breath.

Well the Rich Snobs have the Money to use Drugs.

You seem to have a Toffy Attitude with this stuff

Well the Rich Snobs have the Money to use Drugs.

You seem to have a Toffy Attitude with this stuff
Well that was a good response. Rich people have money to use on drugs hey?

Do you know why rich people get rich Dave? Because they don't waste their money on drugs!

Well that was a good response. Rich people have money to use on drugs hey?

Do you know why rich people get rich Dave? Because they don't waste their money on drugs!

So you saying people in poor area are complete and utter Dickheads and Rich People are utter Perfection.

You do well in the Liberal Party

So you saying people in poor area are complete and utter Dickheads and Rich People are utter Perfection.

You do well in the Liberal Party
Rofl. Never change Dave. Your ability to turn something a person says in to something completely different is beyond compare.

doodles98 you were very proactive in starting this thread. Are there any more ideas about what can be done about Frankston?

Back