Religion Freemasons...

Remove this Banner Ad

My grandfather was a mason, but hadn't been actively involved for years. When he died we found aprons, medals, badges etc which we gave back to the lodge.

My understanding of the Catholic/Mason divide is that practicing Catholics weren't able to swear to adhere to the secrecy rules, as they were supposed to be open to their priest. Not sure if that's the case though.

Jesuits have control over the masons I believe.

I think it's all a small penis thing to be honest.

I know some freemasons, they joined the buff lodge to save it, so they reckoned. Buffs have been slowly dieing out. They were there for the cash and the land. they had the same mentality and view of Islam/refugees as the right wing nuts here. Just as racist as well. Were up themselves, thought themselves better men than working men.

They didn't think much of me, but their women did. Only group i ever saw in lodge money hungry, bunch of crooks and small minded arseholes.

I know some freemasons, they joined the buff lodge to save it, so they reckoned. Buffs have been slowly dieing out. They were there for the cash and the land. they had the same mentality and view of Islam/refugees as the right wing nuts here. Just as racist as well. Were up themselves, thought themselves better men than working men.

They didn't think much of me, but their women did. Only group i ever saw in lodge money hungry, bunch of crooks and small minded arseholes.

Jeez tell us what you really think...

My mother had a very devoutly Catholic pair of parents and grew up in a farm in a very small town out near Wagga.

One night her father, who often would come home from the pub somewhat inebriated, made a bit of a commotion coming in. My mother walked out of her bedroom and saw my grandmother approach my grandfather, who was a bit bruised and bloodied.

"What happened?" my grandmother asked.

"Bloody freemasons," my grandfather replied, and never spoke of that night again.
They hate Catholics.

Due to a massive reduction in numbers, much of the land and assets are sold off.

Massive asset base. Who owns it?

Most of the old assets are being sold to make way for new multi-purpose self-sufficient buildings to be put in their place (sometimes figuratively, sometimes literally). For example, instead of having stand alone "temples" they are building centres that have retail on the bottom floor and apartments above.

It's not being "sold off" per se, it's just being consolidated for practical and viability purposes to allow for the longevity of the organisation.

They hate Catholics.

Categorically false. Freemasons do not "hate" Catholics.

Most of the old assets are being sold to make way for new multi-purpose self-sufficient buildings to be put in their place (sometimes figuratively, sometimes literally). For example, instead of having stand alone "temples" they are building centres that have retail on the bottom floor and apartments above.

It's not being "sold off" per se, it's just being consolidated for practical and viability purposes to allow for the longevity of the organisation.

I’m just thinking the assets divided by members would be a larger number than several years ago

I’m just thinking the assets divided by members would be a larger number than several years ago

Membership in Victoria sits at 8500 down from a post WW2 peak of approximately 175,000, i mean its unquestionable that it is in fact, declining. If the organisation ceased to exist I can almost assure you that the assets would then be "sold off" and all proceeds going to charity.. not split amongst whoever was left.

Last edited:
Membership in Victoria sits at 8500 down from post WW2 of 175,000, i mean its unquestionable that it is in fact, declining. If the organisation ceased to exist I can almost assure you that the assets would then be "sold off" and all proceeds going to charity.. not split amongst whoever was left.
Geez those numbers are surprising. And you're right concerning the assets.

Talking to an old guy who worked for the tramway board in Melbourne quite a few years back he said the promotions went Mason 1 year Catholic the next ( he was talking in the 60s and earlier.)

BiL was a Catholic convert (through Marriage) and he became a Mason.(He was saying its a new thing to allow Catholics,it was mainly Jews and Prottys.)
He joined to improve his business ,it didnt help.
He tried to get me to join I said no way,but somehow ended up going to a Dinner with him at Sandringham Yacht Club one night.
They were manly engineers small business people and accountants all wannabes , everybody was just out to feather their nest,it seemed like being in a room full of boring men,like real estate agents and Liberal party Members.
BiL is out of it now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not a Masonic preacher nor have I studied freemasonry in any great depth, however from my brief personal experiences most of the people seem to be good, intelligent and successful guys.

A lot of the propaganda and conspiracies are intriguing no doubt, however I can't help to think 99.9% of it is total rubbish.

The Jews and the Masons won't fight, a lot Jews are Masons as well.
In my experience (I am not a Mason), no more or less successful than the rest of the population, but mostly skew older. From my personal circle (of the people that I know who are Freemasons/Order of the Eastern Star), it's mostly grandparents and a couple of Boomers. If you're white and had working class Aussie grandparents, good chance one of them or family friends are, since fraternal organisations were really popular in the post war period.

From the outside or what I've been told, it seems like a social activity as much as anything else. Some lodges are involved in charity drives, and all mostly rent out space or host activities attended by family members etc. like dance classes for the oldies. Less spiritual/religious than most people think, which is why people who are really into that side of it, tend to read more widely on the occult and spiritualism. At least that's what I've been told.

Last edited:

That isn't quite true though is it.

A family friend was a former WA police commissioner and a Freemason. In his memoirs, he discussed how in his younger years in the force, you were either Catholic or joined a lodge and there was a lot of hostility between the two groups to the point a Royal Commission was considered to iron out influence pedaling and factionalism.

A family friend was a former WA police commissioner and a Freemason. In his memoirs, he discussed how in his younger years in the force, you were either Catholic or joined a lodge and there was a lot of hostility between the two groups to the point a Royal Commission was considered to iron out influence pedaling and factionalism.
That sort of factionalism and influence peddling was common in Australia in many police forces, as well as in other similar organisations and institutions, such as railways, tramways, public services, sports clubs and municipal councils (both at employee and councillor level) right up to and into the 80s, even the 90s, but it is largely a thing of the past as both organisations have declined in numbers, influence, relevance and regard. A more open society has meant people don't need these groups to help them advance.
Who said identity politics is new?;)

That sort of factionalism and influence peddling was common in Australia in many police forces, as well as in other similar organisations and institutions, such as railways, tramways, public services, sports clubs and municipal councils (both at employee and councillor level) right up to and into the 80s, even the 90s, but it is largely a thing of the past as both organisations have declined in numbers, influence, relevance and regard. A more open society has meant people don't need these groups to help them advance.
Who said identity politics is new?;)
Yeah, I mean the level of violence and militancy of "identity politics" now is mild in comparison to the 50's and 60's.

Even somewhere as white and relaxed (sadly unless you were an Indigenous Australian) as post war WA.

Rather galling listening to the reactionary nuts on this board bemoan PC culture, when really they are every bit as identity obsessed and their real issue is a competing vision of what political correctness should be. But that's a take for another thread.

I mean there may be history but the blanket statement that "freemasons hate catholics" is steeped in ignorance and quite simply false.

I mean there may be history but the blanket statement that "freemasons hate catholics" is steeped in ignorance and quite simply false.

It has relaxed these days but originally Catholics were not welcome to join.

If you don't know the history of Catholics and freemasons then stop behaving like an authority, because you know nothing.

The Catholic Church's current norm on Masonic associations is the 1983 CDF Declaration on Masonic associations. The 1983 CDF declaration states that Catholics "who enroll in Masonic associations are in a state of grave sin and may not receive Holy Communion."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back