Friday scratch match

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by Voice of Reason
Anyone hear (or even better see) how today's hitout went?

I've heard that Sampi, Judd and McDougall have gone well in training.

Twas brillig,

and the slivey toves did gire and gimble in the wabe

all mimsy were the burrogroves

and the mome raths outgrabe

Re: Re: Friday scratch match

Originally posted by Frodo

Twas brillig,

I'm going to have to see THAT movie so I can understand anything you say.

I've had 5 beers and half a bottle of red though, so it may be my fault.

Re: Re: Re: Friday scratch match

Originally posted by Voice of Reason

I'm going to have to see THAT movie so I can understand anything you say.

I've had 5 beers and half a bottle of red though, so it may be my fault.

aaaah....but that tis 'jaberwocky' from Alice thru looking glass. L. Carrol.

(1 bottle white and 2 large brandies)

Re: Re: Friday scratch match

Originally posted by Frodo

Twas brillig,

At times like this, i like to quote a famous and well loved West Australian....

" What The?? " - Rove McManus

Since the respectable elderstatesmen of the board are both pissed, ill have a go...

Firstly, while there are quite a few positives starting to appear. it's important we remember there's still a way to go. :)

Anyway, I had my first day off work in months, so managed the trek to Subi... got the sunburn to prove it :(

Unlike the sweet old guy in front of me, I didn't have a pen and paper with me, so the following is from memory... :eek:

Phil Read- fit, fast and full-on. Great to see him tough as ever, with no apparent knee-associated waryness. It's great to see, let's just hope his passion isn't again mixed up with his temper ;)

As a whole, the boys looks really fit. MacDougall has really bulked up (especially around his shoulders), and while he didn't play, looked far more likely to last a game than this time one year ago. Judd doesn't look like a rookie at all! He's enormous.... tall, solid... and looks like he can play alright too ;)

Wirra looked great again, more room to run when not played so deep :) Again he was fit, fast and in-form.... I think we should all cross our fingers that he can stay that way this year.

Cuz, well.... he looked great again, but did fall into the trap of bombing the ball down when he had more time than he realised. Did seem to be playing on the slightly weaker team though...

Cox impressed in the ruck, with Gardie at CHF.... would've like to have seen more of those two head to head though, just for comparison.

Judd Lalich of all people showed a bit up forward too, what's the deal with him? His strong marks in the HF line were a nice change :) ;)

Brauny, as much as I adore the little guy, is a concern. It was fantastic to see him actually fit come pre-season, and he ran his guts out all day, but he's still a little hesitant going into packs, perhaps rightly so given the treatment he was copping from his own teamates. At one stage was left recovering for about 5-10 minutes from a pretty average looking bump.... His skills are still excellent, it's just such a pity he can't show them more often...

Now, overall, things looked better. A few fumbles and a bit of overusage, both of which are to be expected at this time of year I suppose.... Im still not confident about us kicking back into defence or across goals ala Whoosha, Bluey, Hart and co.

I doubt that makes any sense and I'm sure others who went saw things entirely different, but that's my 2 cents.

I attended the ANZ Sponsors Breakfast and then was able to stay on for half a game.

Overall, I thought it was sloppy. The ball didnt move well at all. But... taken for what it was then they probably achieved what they wanted - solid hit out.

I thought Wirra was outstanding. Judd on a wing sounds a great idea for R1. Gardy and Cox were solid.

I just didnt take a lot from it. We still have heaps out ie Siera, Morrison, Prior, Banfield, Embly, McDougall,Seaby, Phil Matera, Gaspar, Jones, Hunter,Glass, Harding. They werent on the teams list and I really dont know them well but I didnt see Beeck, McCarrey or Rudeforth.

I didnt see any great leap in skill or physical development in players who we now need to step up. I wont name names as I know it is only early days and I only watched half a game.

At the Breakfast we Woosha spoke. Certainly a lot of trust and responsibilty has been put on the players and senior list. This could be a bit naive.

As usual Woosha started off nervous but then as he got into it he seemed very focused. He says he learnt a lot from Carlton. He wants to the players to enjoy Footy more. Ensuring they were and study so that Footy isnt the only thing in their life. A good idea.

He says he has put things in place to have more discipline around the Club. He spoke openly about the decision to cut Cummings. I cant remember exactly but something like ... a distracting undisciplined influence. But, it was his decision alone. He was very candid. Again naive.

Very importantly he spoke about allowing the players to play their own game. Judge was far too negative . Worrying too much about the opposition. Woosha spoke about developing the players instincts. No opposition can prepare for how a player will react if its part of team rules and they are disaplined with its application. This is why Woosha doesnt mind the opposition watching them train. (Actually, I saw Mick Moylan at the game. TRAITOR)

Gee listening to him you could feel a lot of passion building up. Just I didnt see it in the match.

I hope I havent been to harsh because I am excited as the next person. But I just hope that the likes of Haynes, Munro, Chambers, Hunter, Wooden,Williams, Embley, Fletcher, and Green can step up. They have been around a while now. Its time they started to show a bit.

I will be going to the Wizard Cup games so I hope they can show a bit.

GO EAGLES!

Thanks to both of you.
Work again prevented me from going to the game, so it's good to hear from people who went.

Disappointing to hear that guys like Glass, Gaspar, Embers, McDougall and Fido missed because of injury.
Phil especially needs to get some match fitness under his belt. He's our only proven avenue to goal.

I don't think Woosh putting responsibility onto the players is naive, nor talking candidly to the media. An honest approach is quite refreshing.

Good to see two of my favourites in Brauny and Read looking fit and injury free. Braun in particular will be a huge boost if he can stay fit.

Just wondering, who kicked the goals?
I've heard from a few people that Merenda was pretty classy up forward, and that Gardiner (who looked like a tank on TV) was impressive at CHF.
What about Haynes, Tuckey, Willow ect.

Pe.Matera and Wirra on opposite wings sounds bloody good to me. Speed and skill.

Can't wait for the Wizard Cup to start. I'm dieing to watch a game of footy. :mad:

Eagle_fan, I didnt know Judd_lalich played for us ?
Anyway, just heard in the radio Carlos Langdon has given big raps on Chris Judd. He said he was the quickest in the squd time trials and ran down wirra.
Brauny will be a huge assett to the squad if he remains fit. Probably does go into packs as hard now but that will not be evident in the true season.
Im getting a very good vibe from our new look/feel side.
Cant wait for our first real hit out!!

There was a 10second news report on the eagles scrath match here in Melbourne. They said that the squad seems to be more organised and really impressed the media present (not that that really means much, but good news nevertheless).

They also showed woosha saying that he wants the team to be more versatile, that is he doesn't want players to be stagnant in their one position. Hopefully he won't do weird positional decisions like KJ did.

Well you have to take the game for what it was..an interclub scratch match where nobody wants to get hurt, its very hot and players aren't match fit.

What I like from this is the 'possibility' of a formidable midfield emerging. Taggers Banfield an Jones but now creative players Cuz, Wirra, Braun, Kerr, Judd. Throw in Fletcher, Taylor and Wooden and there suddenly is sdome depth. Paper said Brauny bested Cuz......now that's an important line.

The Carlton match sure will be interesting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got the TV Guide out of todays paper and i just felt so happy to see this Friday night the Freo, Bulldogs game is on. ITS SO CLOSE! No doubt the Carlton game will be shown on Saturday aswell....but even if it is the Mickey Mouse Cup its still footy!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back