Secondary Further Maths Exams

Remove this Banner Ad

How'd everyone go today?

I thought I did pretty well. Core was a bit challenging, especially with the technicalities but overall it was ok. Was lucky in the last two minutes when I decided I'd check out the formula sheet and saw a formula that I should have used for a question so I scraped myself that extra mark there.

I'm willing to post my answers too if anyone else is willing to post there's so we can compare and come to a realisation...:thumbsu:

3.B|D
4.A|B
6.C|D
11.A|B**
12.D|C
13.B|E

3. Using the 68-95-99.7% rule, the standard deviation for temperature is closest to... (answers in degrees Celsius)
A) 1
B) 2
C) 3
D) 4
E) 5
I said B because if the mean is roughly 180... and the histogram shows scores reaching 186 and 174, then 99.7% are within these limits. This makes it 3sx each side of the mean.
186-180 = 6.
6/3 = 2
Sx = 2

4. the percentage of passengers who gave the reason "no car" is closest to...
A) 14%
B) 18%
C) 26%
D) 74%
E) 88%
The percentage distribution appears to begin on 74% and end on 88%, leaving 14% of people selecting NO CAR.

6. the percentage of students with foot lengths between 20.0 and 24.2cm is closest to...
A) 16%
B) 32%
C) 34%
D) 52%
E) 68%
The sx = 4.2 and the mean equals 24.2
So, we need to find out the percentage of students inside 1sx. As a sx of -1 & +1 = 68% of all data, then we halve that to get a range of 0 to -1 sx.
68/2 = 34%

11. I can comfortably confirm I got this wrong wrong. The answer should be E.
So after performing a 1/x transformation to the data, we realise that the slope/gradient is actually 249 and not -249. We assumed -249 due to the decreasing pattern in the graph. Stupid mistake made by many.

12. The smoothed number of calls for month number 10 is closest to...
A) 358
B) 364
C) 371
D) 375
E) 377
Answer is 375 as the are taking into account a 5 median smoothing challenge. Therefore, the dots of 8,9,10,11 & 12 on the x axis. We know the median is 10 so we can draw a line down that vertical grid-line whilst we also know it must be the third going upwards.
First is the 10 itself,
Second is the 8th
THIRD IS THE 9th and therefore, my crossing a line horizontally with the x axis line, we can claim the co-ordinates of (10,375)

13.The deseasonalised revenue for September 2009 is closest to
A) $42 800
B) $74 100
C) $104 500
D) $141 000
E) $147 300
We know that all the 12 seasonal indices must equal 12 so we add up the 11 given and subtract that from 12. This leaves us with 1.41.
We then also know that the revenue was $104 500 so we divide this value by it's respective seasonal index and we get $74 100.

Feel free to rebut any of my answers people!

Looks good mate, can't fault you there.

What other modules did people do? Our school did Geom/Trig, Linear equations or whatever it is called, and business-related.
Man, did they make the business easy, took about 5mins.:thumbsu:

My class did Number Patterns, Geometry and Trigonometry, Graphs and Relations (didn't do them) and Networks. Other classes did Business maths and Matrices.

Networks is the easiest module in the world!

yeah I love networks
I stuffed up the Trig module and looking through the business related module I wish I had done that instead

My class did Number Patterns, Geometry and Trigonometry, Graphs and Relations (didn't do them) and Networks. Other classes did Business maths and Matrices.

Networks is the easiest module in the world!

So did you guys learn 1 more module than you needed to, so you could have a choice?

BTW, why does every school do Geometry/Trigonometry? Doing methods, it obviously doesn't seem too difficult, but in our grade it clearly is the most challenging module, and I can understand why, the harder geom/trig questions are a lot harder than the harder ones of other modules.

So did you guys learn 1 more module than you needed to, so you could have a choice?

BTW, why does every school do Geometry/Trigonometry? Doing methods, it obviously doesn't seem too difficult, but in our grade it clearly is the most challenging module, and I can understand why, the harder geom/trig questions are a lot harder than the harder ones of other modules.

Haha I think we did. Probably knew it wasn't what I needed to do so I just focused on those three modules.

That's what I have been wondering, I have no idea why we do Geo/Trig at school when it is so much harder. In my sacs I managed to get 80%+ in all of them but trig which I got like 45% which really hurts. In the exam I decided to just do business related math instead of trig (didn't learn it in class but it seemed pretty straight forward). From the looks of it I got 7/9 getting questions 8 and 9 wrong by silly mistakes but very happy considering I would have been lucky to get a 4/9 in geo/trig.

Core - Data analysis
1.E (I must be one of the few going around that got the first question wrong. Misread the ranges on the graph which got me 52%...)
2.D
3.D
4.A
5.C
6.D
7.B
8.B
9.B
10.A
11.C
12.D
13.E

= 8/13

Number Patterns

1. B
2. D
3. E
4. B
5. D
6. E
7. B
8. A or D (I forgot to circle which one I decided to go for on my green paper but I had a line next to these two so I selected one of them...)
9. D

8/9 or 9/9 depending on what I went with on 8.

Business

1. E
2. D
3. E
4. B
5. C
6. A
7. D
8. C
9. E

7/9

Matrices
1. C
2. A
3. B (forgot to inverse)
4. B
5. A (I know that's wrong, can't remember what I was meant to do)
6. B (from the looks of it C was the correct answer)
7. D
8. E
9. A (nfi how this one works)

5/9 - disappointed with how I went with Matrices as it was my only topic that I got 90%+ for in the sacs and was doing really well in the past exams on it.

So I think i got 28/40 or 29/40 which I will take.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I screwed the first question again. Wrote "half". facepalm.jpg

Other than that I did heaps better on this one than multiple choice. Graphs and Relations was pretty easy, so was Matrices. But laters to Geom & Trig.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back