Gallipoli

Remove this Banner Ad

I've owned Downfall on DVD for 5 years ago and still haven't watched it :$

All Quiet on the Western Front is apparently the first good war movie. I want to download it.

I've owned Downfall on DVD for 5 years ago and still haven't watched it :$

All Quiet on the Western Front is apparently the first good war movie. I want to download it.
If you're into classic movies, All Quiet on the Western Front is an absolute hit for its time. Don't get the second version of it.

If you're into classic movies, All Quiet on the Western Front is an absolute hit for its time. Don't get the second version of it.
I just watched 'The Jazz Singer' (geez it's hard to watch blackface movies, SO uncomfortable) and also got All Quiet on the Western Front to watch. Those two, along with Mr Smith Goes to Washington and It's A Wonderful Life, I'm on a bit of an old movie kick.

I just watched 'The Jazz Singer' (geez it's hard to watch blackface movies, SO uncomfortable) and also got All Quiet on the Western Front to watch. Those two, along with Mr Smith Goes to Washington and It's A Wonderful Life, I'm on a bit of an old movie kick.
I've got the longest day in color and a bridge too far are the best oldies.

Acting is top notch and the music, actually made feel a bit sorry for the ordinary Germans. Goebbells was a monster.
Downfall, and The Book Thief, are two films that made me (and I'm sure others) remember that most Germans wouldn't have wanted, or deserved, what they got in the war. They were just like the rest of us.

Downfall, and The Book Thief, are two films that made me (and I'm sure others) remember that most Germans wouldn't have wanted, or deserved, what they got in the war. They were just like the rest of us.
I've got to watch the book thief. The Christmas truce of 1914 showed us that. I love it in the black adder series when he talks about the truce and the soccer match and how he was furious he was called offside and lost 2-1.

I've got to watch the book thief. The Christmas truce of 1914 showed us that. I love it in the black adder series when he talks about the truce and the soccer match and how he was furious he was called offside and lost 2-1.
Joyeux Noël, another excellent film.

This movie was the biggest horror movie ever when I was a kid. I can remember nuclear drills in primary school

Just watched this series released on Netflix as I didn't give it a go back in 2015.

Maybe television standards have plummeted terribly over the last 6 years but I thought this was a decent show by FTA standards - some decent writing and sticks reasonably close to the facts. There's some poor character development (prevalent in all Aussie shows) but I think this series would fare better in 2021 in the 'Holey-Moley' era of reality TV.

Another issue people had with the series I think is the non-stop cultural addiction with Gallipoli ANZAC-mythology, it's been drummed into our heads as a kid that a bunch of clueless/naive teenagers stormed the beaches of a country they knew nothing about which forged a nation. Unfortunately we rarely tell our own incredible war stories well - think the latest movie about the Battle of Long Tan, the Kokoda movie and other post-Weir productions that fall completely flat.

In any event by Australian standards I thought this series was semi-decent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another issue people had with the series I think is the non-stop cultural addiction with Gallipoli ANZAC-mythology, it's been drummed into our heads as a kid that a bunch of clueless/naive teenagers stormed the beaches of a country they knew nothing about which forged a nation. Unfortunately we rarely tell our own incredible war stories well - think the latest movie about the Battle of Long Tan, the Kokoda movie and other post-Weir productions that fall completely flat.
You can add "Beneath Hill 60" to that list too.

It’s not a war film. It just old 10-30 second footage from the war spliced together and given colour. about only 2 scenes from the entire movie are actually interesting.
It’s an amazing piece of work and the last 5 minutes puts a totally different spin of the glorification that we see in this age.

ANZACS is one of my favourite series. I rewatch at least once every few years.
It is now available on Stan to stream.

Paul Hogans first acting role.
Highly recommend to watch. Covers both Gallipoli campaign and Western Front.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back