Garden bed borders

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 25, 2002
37° 70' 12"
AFL Club
North Melbourne
About to move into a newly built house and need some ideas for garden bed borders.

Sleepers are so yesterday and I'm not keen on using bricks, rocks or even concrete borders

Would like something I could mow around without too much trouble and also keep mulch in the beds.

Someone suggested some simple treated pine boards.

Any ideas from the green thumbs out there?

Star said:
I thought about this but the word 'maintenance' scares the bejesus out of me

Exactly right.
You'll spend mega time on trimming your hedges to maintain them if you want them to look good.

Stick with sleepers IMO. Not just one high but go for two high with another on top as capping. Will look like a bed then that is easy to maintain & keep your mulch from disappearing. Also easy to mow around.

You dont have to worry about concreting them in.........just line em up roughly & use a star-picket / bracket combo to bang them in the ground.

Best of luck

All depends on the height of your garden beds & if your going with contours or a formal look.
Don't disgard bricks if done properly, lay a 60mm concrete base & lay them side by side, in mortar with mortar jointing if you want the beds level with your turf. The concrete foundation will help keeping out creeping lawns if thats what you use.
For raised garden beds, as your in a new house the concrete lock together styles don't look out of place. Boral have a range of retaining walling, imo the best look in this style is the ''Heathstone Grand'' w/ 300 x 300 bullnose capping. If your after curved beds they have a ''Mini Garden Walling'' product that is less expensive.
If your on a budget just go the good old steel edging, don't even contimplate that cheap gear in a roll, go for the pieces of rigid steel, held together with tent pegs, this will set you back around $15 lineal m.

Good luck with it.

Edit- Sorry Stumpy, did'nt open your link, the last option is very similar to that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back