PXL_20230910_060812797.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 32
  • PXL_20230910_060802799.jpg
    PXL_20230910_060802799.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 31
  • PXL_20230910_060753586.jpg
    PXL_20230910_060753586.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 29

Anyone got any good gardening websites they use? I like the ones below for instance.

www.gardensonline.com.au

www.yates.com.au

I've bought from the Seed Collection a couple of times. Usually $1.25 for a packet of up to 200 seeds - so you can buy a few different ones and they combine postage for $3. Bunnings charge up to $5.50 per packet.

It's worth subscribing. They send you emails about what you should be planting at that time of year.

Just pulled out some succulents and replanted with veggies. the soil was too light. Lot of stuff died and I think the stupid pigeons were eating my carrots.

If I fill a raised garden bed, how much composted material should I have on top? and should I mix in 50% compost with 50% sandy soil on the bottom part.

Just pulled out some succulents and replanted with veggies. the soil was too light. Lot of stuff died and I think the stupid pigeons were eating my carrots.

If I fill a raised garden bed, how much composted material should I have on top? and should I mix in 50% compost with 50% sandy soil on the bottom part.

Ask de man MP_

Succulent like sandy soil don't know what veggies like

I’m not sure of the % you need but any compost is better than nothing for Sandy soil. Sandy soil doesn’t retain moisture or hold a lot of nutrients so compost will certainly help rectify that. I would think about adding water saving crystals too as that will help in water retention. On top use sugar cane mulch or any other mulch as this will help with evaporation and it will also break down and improve the soil quality over time.

Maybe some rich soil with organic stuff .
To set up your veggies for success..

I’m not sure of the % you need but any compost is better than nothing for Sandy soil. Sandy soil doesn’t retain moisture or hold a lot of nutrients so compost will certainly help rectify that. I would think about adding water saving crystals too as that will help in water retention. On top use sugar cane mulch or any other mulch as this will help with evaporation and it will also break down and improve the soil quality over time.
Some of my soil is not taking in any water, it's just floating on the top. Might need to mix it in a bit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some of my soil is not taking in any water, it's just floating on the top. Might need to mix it in a bit.
That’s called hydrophobic soil, definitely needs more organic matter but also take a look at soil wetting products, you can even buy bags of soil that have wetting agents in them.

That’s called hydrophobic soil, definitely needs more organic matter but also take a look at soil wetting products, you can even buy bags of soil that have wetting agents in them.

I said organic stuff ..
YES ....

bam yes GIF

Soil breaker stuff might help... Gipson what ever it's called..
Gypsum is good for clay soil, won’t do anything for sand as it is basically sand

Water should be going down with sandy soil...yes...na ?

I picture clay soil for some reason...
Hydrophobic soils are most common in sandy soil

Do you feed them flies and bugs?
Nah, not anymore. I used to when I was younger, but the tough part with Venus Fly Traps is that the trap mechanism only works when hairs on the inside are repeatedly triggered. You therefore have to feed them live insects that will wriggle around; dead insects won't actually be digested properly.

Carnivorous plants have evolved to eat insects, but they don't need to do so to survive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back