T Factor

Club Legend
Brisbane Lions - Ryan Lester 2012 Player Sponsor
Feb 26, 2007
Sea Kayak
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Local talent concession for Gold Coast team

THE AFL has announced that the proposed new Gold Coast team will be given access to 20 Queensland teenagers over the next three years.
League chief executive Andrew Demetriou said on Friday afternoon the decision was approved by the AFL Commission, in what will be the first of a series of draft concessions for the expansion club.
"Today was an historic meeting because today one of the first steps in the building of the Gold Coast team were passed by the AFL Commission," Demetriou said.
"The commission determined that the Gold Coast team will now have access to pre-sign 20 Queensland players of draft eligible age over the next three years, 2009, 2010 and 2011."
He said players signed under that system would be offered contracts of up to $70,000 per year in return for opting out of the draft.
Demetriou said the other 16 AFL clubs would be entitled to list an additional two rookies per season for each of the next two years to compensate for losing out because of draft concessions to the new club over that period.
He said it was yet to be determined exactly what concessions the Gold Coast team would be given in the 2009 Nab AFL Draft with a decision likely to be made by the commission in July or August.
He said the Gold Coast club would field a side in the TAC Cup under-18 competition next year, before playing in the VFL in 2010 as a pathway to entering the AFL in 2011.

Where does this leave the Lions, I thought we had three priority picks in the rookie draft...maybe we pay them $80k and play for us :)

Where does this leave the Lions, I thought we had three priority picks in the rookie draft...maybe we pay them $80k and play for us :)

My thought was you lot would get screwed with the rookie selections. Potentially you are now not going to be picking the best locals who didn't get drafted as the Gold Coast would have already taken a few blokes who were unlikely to be picked in the national draft. You could really be left with blokes who might not even be good enough for a rookie spot.

My thought was you lot would get screwed with the rookie selections. Potentially you are now not going to be picking the best locals who didn't get drafted as the Gold Coast would have already taken a few blokes who were unlikely to be picked in the national draft. You could really be left with blokes who might not even be good enough for a rookie spot.

but we can rookie from anywhere in Australia and Queensland though.
maybe we should look at the NT closer.

Yup, we've been able to mitigate the go home factor to an extent by getting alot of Queensland boys onto our list, and now the AFL is going to lock us out of our own region. It's ____ing ridiculous.

I had no problem with the Gold Coast getting concessions as long as every other team was shafted equally, but we are copping the biggest disadvantage here.

Can you imagine the uproar if West Coast/Freo were locked out of their region for 3 years. Or Adelaide/Port being locked out of South Australia. Hope the Lions raise an almighty stink about this.

What strange logic.

As campbell said, it doesn't stop us picking any players from across the country.

A little bit related to the OP, I read in the GC Buliten today that Shaun Hart has put up his hand to coach the team for the two years leading up to their entry into the AFL in 2011.

Would be a good choice by GC17, he would be an excellent role model for the young blokes and seems to be doing a fairly good job with Broadbeach this season seeing as though he certainly does not have a list to really work with there.

Can you imagine the uproar if West Coast/Freo were locked out of their region for 3 years. Or Adelaide/Port being locked out of South Australia. Hope the Lions raise an almighty stink about this.

I didn't think that the West Aussies or South Aussies got any priority over players from their States.

Yes we will be disadvantaged, we will now be in the same situation as all the others (except Sydney, but they too will be shafted if WS come in) where we need to draft from the total pool.

From what I have been advised, any Queenslander who wants to opt out of the draft can go straight to GC17, it probably wont drain the QLD talent in 2008, as those players might not want to give up the opportunity to play for the next 2 seasons, but as for 2010, it may be a different story.

It furthers makes me question why we did not rookie more locals last season, or maybe I am still dissapointed that Zorko will miss our boat:eek:

but we can rookie from anywhere in Australia and Queensland though.
maybe we should look at the NT closer.

But we can now rookie a Queenslander before he goes into the Rookie draft. Major advantage that has dissapeared.

We will need to fight for the NT boys like all the other 15 clubs. Not so much of an advantage.

What strange logic.

As campbell said, it doesn't stop us picking any players from across the country.

That's the confusion on my part as I thought as part of a agreemnet with the AFL and development in Queensland you had to use 2 picks on local players in the rookie draft .

That's the confusion on my part as I thought as part of a agreemnet with the AFL and development in Queensland you had to use 2 picks on local players in the rookie draft .

Optional. We have three dedicated Qld rookie slots on top of the normal six. We can currently draft any Qld rookies we want prior to the rookie draft, with any over the three dedicated slots "using up" our last rookie draft pick(s) instead.

Yup, we've been able to mitigate the go home factor to an extent by getting alot of Queensland boys onto our list, and now the AFL is going to lock us out of our own region. It's ____ing ridiculous.

I had no problem with the Gold Coast getting concessions as long as every other team was shafted equally, but we are copping the biggest disadvantage here.

You simply MUST be kidding!!! Try being in a state with 10 teams and then talk to me about being locked out. You must be KIDDING!!! So you don't have a whole state to select from anymore. Welcome to the AFL!:thumbsu:

You simply MUST be kidding!!! Try being in a state with 10 teams and then talk to me about being locked out. You must be KIDDING!!! So you don't have a whole state to select from anymore. Welcome to the AFL!:thumbsu:

Wow, what a thorough lack of comprehension you have shown.

I'd suggest there are 10 times as many talented kids to choose from in Victoria than Queensland, and secondly, you aren't being locked out.

Epic fail. Go away.

And this fellow Lions, is why we are discussing the issue in a far more intelligent manner on the private board, away from the great unwashed. Be sure to sign up if you haven't already.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hang on a minute oh intelligent Brisbane man. Yes there is more talent in Vic. But it is being split all over the country. I just don't support the argument that you are unfairly disadvantaged by another Q'land team. Yes you are disadvantaged compared to the present situation - but certainly not unfairly. West Coast dealt with it, Adelaide dealt with and Sydney will soon enough too. How many Vic players on the Lions list. How many other state players on the Pies list. Heaps. It cuts both ways. Many players get home-anxiety. This is a national game. I just don't believe that the Lions will be that badly affected by this. It is not like you are an unsuccessful club. Big membership. Three recent premiers. This will be little more than a blip

Local talent concession for Gold Coast team

Demetriou said the other 16 AFL clubs would be entitled to list an additional two rookies per season for each of the next two years to compensate for losing out because of draft concessions to the new club over that period.

I see this a being a positive in Lions list management at the end of the year, as we have all discussed recently we had some hard decisions to make about whom to promote and release and draft. An extra two rookie list spots may assist?

I'd suggest there are 10 times as many talented kids to choose from in Victoria than Queensland, and secondly, you aren't being locked out.

Epic fail. Go away.

And this fellow Lions, is why we are discussing the issue in a far more intelligent manner on the private board, away from the great unwashed. Be sure to sign up if you haven't already.

from afl.com.au ...
"Since the draft’s inception, clubs have deemed Victoria the most talent-laden state. About 49 per cent of players chosen in drafts have been from Victoria. Next most is SA (19 per cent), then WA (16 per cent), with Tasmania, NSW-ACT, Qld, and the NT rounding out the list."

hang on a minute oh intelligent Brisbane man. Yes there is more talent in Vic. But it is being split all over the country. I just don't support the argument that you are unfairly disadvantaged by another Q'land team. Yes you are disadvantaged compared to the present situation - but certainly not unfairly. West Coast dealt with it, Adelaide dealt with and Sydney will soon enough too. How many Vic players on the Lions list. How many other state players on the Pies list. Heaps. It cuts both ways. Many players get home-anxiety. This is a national game. I just don't believe that the Lions will be that badly affected by this. It is not like you are an unsuccessful club. Big membership. Three recent premiers. This will be little more than a blip

So you'd be cool with Carlton being able to have priority access to Victorian kids before you get a crack at them?

It is just my personal opinion, but I feel the second highlighted part in your quote proves to me that the first part you quoted is correct.

You must be really naive to think that a Queenslander moving to the home of Australian Football has the same desires to return home to Queensland as the Victorian who is thrown into the Queensland football life where AFL comes in down the list of winter interests.

Epic fail. Go away.

from afl.com.au ...
"Since the draft’s inception, clubs have deemed Victoria the most talent-laden state. About 49 per cent of players chosen in drafts have been from Victoria. Next most is SA (19 per cent), then WA (16 per cent), with Tasmania, NSW-ACT, Qld, and the NT rounding out the list."

from afl.com.au ...

Anyone else having de ja vu? ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back