Game Day Geelong Cats v North Melbourne, Round 21 - 19:25 AEST, Aug 10, 2019.

GEE v NM: Who will win?

• Geelong by 30+

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Geelong under 30pts

• North under 30pts

• North by 30+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Who should be in? Who should be dropped?

Geelong-vs-North-Melbourne.png

FREE for 14 days:
Stream the game LIVE to any device.

Tip the game now - win cash 'n' prizes

Proudly sponsored by
The Golden Ticket - for Medallion Club tickets

geevnm.png

Where and when: GMHBA Stadium, Saturday August 10, 7.25pm AEST

TV, radio and online: Click here for broadcast guide

What it means for Geelong:
The three-week tune-up for finals starts now. The coach and captain have both said it's not panic stations despite all key numbers being down. Time to prove it.

What it means for North Melbourne: A chance to show the rest of the competition that last week's win in Rhyce Shaw's first official game as coach wasn't purely emotion.

The stat: After leading the competition for scoring before their bye, the Cats have recorded 25 fewer points per game in their past seven matches. It has seen them fall from first to 13th in the competition.

The match-up: Mark Blicavs v Ben Brown

Very few key forwards have got hold of Geelong's defence this season like Ben Brown did against the Cats with five majors back in round eight. Blicavs (No.4 ranked key defender in the Official AFL Player Ratings), will be keen to stem the influence of Brown (No.11 ranked key forward) to help teammate Tom Hawkins' push for the Coleman Medal.
673584_ll.jpg

It's a big week for: Nick Larkey

It's been quiet month for the up-and-coming key forward after re-signing a contract extension until the end of 2021. With plenty of focus to centre on Ben Brown, Larkey will be keen for a big showing against a top-four side that possesses a quality defence.

Big call: Joel Selwood to put his hand up with a match-winning performance after a below-par outing against the Dockers.

Prediction: Cats by 17 points

More By Mitch Cleary

Last edited:

Will be very interesting one in terms of tactics - Shaw has already shown a high level of tactical nous and I will be very interested to see how he sets us up down there.

We really weren't far off Geelong first time up, when we were still encumbered with Brad Scott, and one of the greatest players in history in Ablett ended up being the difference.

He will probably do it again, but if Geelong remain flat and we bring our pressure and physical game, could get very interesting down at Taxpayer Stadium.

Will be very interesting one in terms of tactics - Shaw has already shown a high level of tactical nous and I will be very interested to see how he sets us up down there.

We really weren't far off Geelong first time up, when we were still encumbered with Brad Scott, and one of the greatest players in history in Ablett ended up being the difference.

He will probably do it again, but if Geelong remain flat and we bring our pressure and physical game, could get very interesting down at Kardinia Park.

I would tend to agree... I think most Cats fans would too.

Geelong should bounce back really well. Two more games at Geelong should see them finish top. Whatever they do they have to find a way to play the MCG better and use the space it has. Corridor football is great at home, but not at the MCG.

I see your point. However win loss this year is 4-1 at the MCG.

It will be cold, wet, windy and with the ground soaked after about 4 days of rain it will be very interesting how the Cats players respond? This will be a game of attrition. Old fashioned footy between two mid table teams.

Premiership tilt on line for cats. Expect them to be ferocious. Kangaroos better form. More on the line for cats. Cats by 26.
I agree, i think the cats with make an example of us but i think it will be a good learning experience for our younger guys too, will be a great game either way!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong should bounce back really well. Two more games at Geelong should see them finish top. Whatever they do they have to find a way to play the MCG better and use the space it has. Corridor football is great at home, but not at the MCG.
Have you seen Geelong play at all this year? We've played better at the MCG than what we have at KP. We also play through the wings more than we do the corridor.

And Narkle is back. Has all the tools to be a seriously good AFL player so it's good they've given him the opportunity after some stellar VFL form.

I reckon Geelong stopped playing corridor footy after Port and bullies gave them a touch up mid season. Now the coach is too scared to revert to the corridor.Now they play the flanks slow it down and it all turns to crap.If they continue in this manner they will get slaughtered by the better sides come finals.

If this was at Etihad I would give the Roos a real chance, but in Geelong I give them an outside chance. If it is very wet things could get very interesting, tends to even up the playing field even more. Hoping hard for a Roos win but won't get my hopes up.

If it is wet we will be hitting them hard and hitting them often. Even if Geelong win in the context of the season it could cost them.

Also Rhyce Shaw is being smart and staging the retirements of beloved clubmen (Wright last week, Scoter Thompson this week) to keep the group on an emotional edge.

Still reckon Ablett wins it off his own boot, he hates us with a passion.

If it is wet we will be hitting them hard and hitting them often. Even if Geelong win in the context of the season it could cost them.

Also Rhyce Shaw is being smart and staging the retirements of beloved clubmen (Wright last week, Scoter Thompson this week) to keep the group on an emotional edge.

Still reckon Ablett wins it off his own boot, he hates us with a passion.
Why would you think Ablett hates you with a passion?

He seems to bring his best footy for us.
I'm not sure that's because he hates North though, more like an "easy kill" ;)

edit: I can imagine all the North people saving this comment for Geelong's inevitable collapse and loss. I am prepared!

Back