General Markets Talk

Remove this Banner Ad

People are really overly optimistic in how quickly electric cars will take over. Oil and gas will have its place for 15 years yet.

Looking at the philosophy of even the "conservative" recent uni graduates and governments around the world, climate change and the perceived value of switching to EV in my opinion will significantly ramp up in the next 5 years. I think we're looking at 2-3 years before significant carbon tax hikes become a reality and have a meaningful hit on everyone's bottom line. I suspect that come 2026 unless you need a petrol/diesel car for work or where you live(for whatever reason), everyone will be looking to EV/Hybrid.

I think most people have no concept that 90% or more of their daily driving is short trips. The average work commute in Australia is < 20km so you're talking < 50km / day of driving (if they even drive) which means you treat your car like you would your smart phone. Get home, plug it in, good to go the next day with a full tank.

Hybrid/EV do their best work on short trips in stop-start traffic, won't this further ramp up the adoption? Unless there is a work-related reason, I don't understand why everyone who lives and does more of their travel in a city wouldn't want a hybrid now if they are buying new.

Hybrid/EV do their best work on short trips in stop-start traffic, won't this further ramp up the adoption? Unless there is a work-related reason, I don't understand why everyone who lives and does more of their travel in a city wouldn't want a hybrid now if they are buying new.

It's largely perception at this point, people still think EV's will go flat, when in reality this isn't an issue.

It's a small change in behaviour for most - plugging your car in at home versus going to a service station - but ultimately they're no less practical than a traditional engine for the vast majority of driving people do.

Curious how the power grid will handle the 4pm surge as people fire up their AC getting home, then the 5pm to 6pm surge as the fleet of cars are put on charge. If you can find a local home solar battery producing company you might get ahead of that problem. I'd expect an election promise within ten years to be subsidizing the installation of home solar batteries and they will want to boost local for that.

Curious how the power grid will handle the 4pm surge as people fire up their AC getting home, then the 5pm to 6pm surge as the fleet of cars are put on charge. If you can find a local home solar battery producing company you might get ahead of that problem. I'd expect an election promise within ten years to be subsidizing the installation of home solar batteries and they will want to boost local for that.

Homes are getting increasingly energy efficient, so the additional load generated by charging a car might be off-set by savings across other household items. Also might see car chargers have some kind of 'smart' charge capability where you can time your charging to occur during off-peak times.

Homes are getting increasingly energy efficient, so the additional load generated by charging a car might be off-set by savings across other household items. Also might see car chargers have some kind of 'smart' charge capability where you can time your charging to occur during off-peak times.
It would make sense that cars are charged in the middle of the night to flatten the demand curve but that will apply to everyone except the royal you who will be smart and charge while the sun is still up so it's free, except that will only offset some and the rest will be grid demand.

Hence the battery option.

It would make sense that cars are charged in the middle of the night to flatten the demand curve but that will apply to everyone except the royal you who will be smart and charge while the sun is still up so it's free, except that will only offset some and the rest will be grid demand.

Hence the battery option.

Battery technology is the logical accompaniment to improved solar technology, no reason modern homes can't be almost 100% self sustaining with solar panels and battery storage.

Battery technology is the logical accompaniment to improved solar technology, no reason modern homes can't be almost 100% self sustaining with solar panels and battery storage.
I think it opens the door to more people getting solar too, since so many of my friends would get solar except they don't get a benefit when they aren't able to use power at home during the day.

A battery would allow them to see benefit of their daily generation.

All because the grid buy back rate is so low.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Explain the sell off then rebound of WHC in the past month.

I got shaken out at $1.29 & bought back in at $1.45.

Their quarterly was below expectations. Coal futures are strong, increasing demand, reducing supply.

How many stocks do you guys generally have in your portfolio? I'm at 23 at the moment, really need to try and streamline it a bit at some stage I think.

I'm at 19. I'm ok anywhere between 15 & 25.

I have 2 rules, 1 stock = max 20% of portfolio and the smallest buy I'll make is $1500.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back