Getting the best out of Berry

Remove this Banner Ad

Hard to know how bad his shoulder injury really is? But I would be tempted to try him off half back if his shoulder could hold up. Would provide a bit more run off half back and decent in the air.

Right now he looks like a player that neither he or the coaches no where to play as a defined a role.

Hard to know how bad his shoulder injury really is? But I would be tempted to try him off half back if his shoulder could hold up. Would provide a bit more run off half back and decent in the air.

Right now he looks like a player that neither he or the coaches no where to play as a defined a role.
The club thinks his shoulder is fine.

That's part of the problem with this team. After all these years players like Berry, McCluggage and Bailey still haven't been able to cement a distinct position in the team. Are they midfielders, wings or half forwards? We still don't know. Pick and stick helps with development.

Always thought Berry would end up more of an inside mid. That didn't happen. Thought that McCluggage would be a Rolls Royce inside/outside mid. That's not happening. And I cant see the logic of playing Bailey midfield when his strength is as a goal kicking half forward.

So it may be shoulders with Berry, but there are other examples on the team where players have not come on as they should have.
Spot on - agreed. Add Rayner to that list.

If the club thinks his shoulder is fine but it isn’t in reality, this implies something else may be the issue. Our medical stuff are the best in the business. Regardless, if his shoulder is fine and this is his level, well frankly we need better.

I just think guys like Berry need to be dropped. I’m not saying necesssrily for good but in order to make a statement. This team seems to have stagnated, it needs a rocket.

If the club needs Berry in midfield rotations as an inside mid, play him on the wing and select Lyons for the inside mid role. Neither Berry or McCluggage are midfielders and playing them out of position in the middle isn’t helping them. Same with Bailey. Stick Bailey on a HFF and watch it rain goals. Problems solved.

While he has been up and down, I've never questioned his attack on the footy. I think the scrappy nature of last nights game meant that there were shorter kicks and lots more contests that he presented in.

We'd be screwed without him adding to the pressure in D50 a lot of times and while his kicking on the run can be a bit wayward even his presence in F50 last night was noticeable.

I think both wings will end up more involved as we inevitably have to play more of this clogged up style of footy that other teams will now force us into, so perhaps that plays in to Bez being more involved any way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back