2nds Gold Coast Reserves: Title Defense 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Difficulty score (per ladder position) – 0.5 points away v interstate; 1 point away or neutral same state; 1.5 home same state or neutral interstate; 2 points home interstate. Lowest score is the hardest fixture.

Coach: Josh Drummond (replacing Jackson Kornberg)
Last season: 4th (14-7)
Fixture: Wil (H), Gee (H), San (A), bye, NM (H), Ric (A), Cas (H), Sou (A), Wer (A), Foo (H), PM (A), bye, NB (A), Box (H), Ess (A), Fra (H), bye, GWS (A), BL (H), bye, Syd (A), Car (H)
Doesn’t play: Coburg, Collingwood
Interstate trips: NSW 2, Victoria 6
Summary: The Suns would be happy with their start, hosting their first two games against 2022 non-finalists Williamstown and Geelong, which gives them a chance of early momentum. Rounds 6-11 look likely to make or break their season, with home games against reigning premiers Casey and 2021 minor premiers Footscray spliced in between trips to Richmond, Werribee and a likely much-improved Port Melbourne. The Coast Clash will be played at Fankhauser, while the QClash is at home.
Difficulty score: 247 (ranked 11th)
furthermore
Fixture Analysis (10).png

SATURDAY, MARCH 4
GWS GIANTS vs. Gold Coast SUNS (Blacktown, 9am, 4x25min)

Surprised only 1 practice game

5 GWS players chucking on a Suns jumper tomorrow.

Would have thought this would be a good step up for some of our Academy lads….

495fded750700977cbb5dd0636bcc966.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

5 GWS players chucking on a Suns jumper tomorrow.

495fded750700977cbb5dd0636bcc966.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
They didn't want to pay for them to fly down to Sydney - It's a cost issue, the GWS VFL-listed players were already down there.

Considering they played tonight, that would be a mighty task to ask them to back it up with a VFL game in Sydney tomorrow morning...

So Mac Andrew has been listed. I guess the ban doesn't include VFL practice matches?

Considering they played tonight, that would be a mighty task to ask them to back it up with a VFL game in Sydney tomorrow morning...

So Mac Andrew has been listed. I guess the ban doesn't include VFL practice matches?
If he is playing, then it is probably just AFL level matches and practice matches he can’t participate in.

Uwland - Stein - Brock
Atkins - Andrew - johnston
Sharp - tsitas - faulkhead
Ace - mclaughlin - sexton
Rosas - burgess - day

Moyle - anderson - blakely

Interesting lineup with some of the injuries we’ve got.

Doesn’t look as strong on paper as I was thinking our team would be.

In saying that.
Defence is athletic (other than Atkins)
Midfield is experienced and tough. Although pretty one paced, should be able to physically dominate youngsters from other sides
Forward line has good mixture of pace and marking ability.

Assuming Touk, Ellis, Weller, powell are back into the AFL lineup soon we’ll see a few fringe players shift down.

Predictably we’ve been ranked way down the betting list. Prelim finalists who bought in mature players with AFL experience for the VFL side in Stein, anderson, blakely plus mclaughlin.

I think we’re way unders.
67ACEE90-7A0A-4F41-A8E1-93E6E01800F0.png

Uwland - Stein - Brock
Atkins - Andrew - johnston
Sharp - tsitas - faulkhead
Ace - mclaughlin - sexton
Rosas - burgess - day

Moyle - anderson - blakely

Interesting lineup with some of the injuries we’ve got.

Doesn’t look as strong on paper as I was thinking our team would be.

In saying that.
Defence is athletic (other than Atkins)
Midfield is experienced and tough. Although pretty one paced, should be able to physically dominate youngsters from other sides
Forward line has good mixture of pace and marking ability.

Assuming Touk, Ellis, Weller, powell are back into the AFL lineup soon we’ll see a few fringe players shift down.

Predictably we’ve been ranked way down the betting list. Prelim finalists who bought in mature players with AFL experience for the VFL side in Stein, anderson, blakely plus mclaughlin.

I think we’re way unders.
View attachment 1620917
I think we will be much stronger than last year and agree we are way overs.like any reserves team, a lot depends on injuries in the afl team but close to full squad and we will give it a real shake I think.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We did give him a chance.

Sad to say he's a AAAA level player

He did get a chance. Did not guard Daicos close enough and as a result Daicos scored a crucial goal late in the game. We should never lose that game. He may or may not get another chance.

I thought he played a single game and got like 30% game time and then got dropped the next week

I thought he played a single game and got like 30% game time and then got dropped the next week
Correct, 35%. A lot of players ahead of him for midfield role, I would think. He did play a decent game against Essendon last week in short time he got.

Last edited:
Wasn't sure where to put this but huge news coming out of Salk Oval with our very own VFL coach James Frawley signing on to play for the mighty Palm Beach Currumbin Lions in this year's QAFL season. I'm guessing this means he will no longer be playing any VFL games for us in 2023...

Chip should get the chance to play alongside our two academy boys Walter and Read in a few QAFL games this year. David Armitage has also signed on to play for PBC this year so the Lions could very well be on their way to a QAFL flag this year and perhaps Walter and Read will take part in a senior premiership before we draft them.

qjYnm6q.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back