Expansion Gold Coast salary cap solution?

Remove this Banner Ad

Both expansion teams have been raided by Vic clubs, if it was the other way round, Eddie would have led a riot to AFL house. They have to pay overs to keep any. That's both the giants and Goldy. The lions turned it around by aiming their recruiting at Vic country players. Is that sustainable, when most of our draftees are private school boy scholarships now? Name the last decent player to go to the sun's or giants? Hasn't been since Stevie J.

Until the AFL moves from its Melbourne centric, these clubs will never prosper, they should be pulling out all stops to grow the game in these 2 parts of our country, as well as a Tassie team.

Just remember the hawks also nearly folded in the mid 90s, they look set to lose their Tassie sponsor, moving to Dingley, paying out Clarko, I'm not sure they wont need some AFL assistance soon either

But the Expansion clubs set up their clubs with their list management strategy to be raided. They both chose to stockpile young talent that somehow enough low picks woudl guarantee success, It did two things, it make their on field performance weak, and competition for spots high. They could not keep the stickpile and repeatedly used the players leaving to get get more high draft picks and repeat the cycle.

Their situation s product of decisions they made.

Why should these clubs be saved form their own failures. They negotiated their entry conditions. They set up their clubs they way they did. Just why do they deserve an endless succession of handouts because they have not won something? When are Brisbane and Sydney going to stop getting concessions and advantages over other clubs?

St Kilda had not won a flag since 1966. Melbourne 1964, Dockers Never.

Until the AFL moves on from being Expansion and Northern Football centric these clubs will never grow up, and will not be a fair competition.

There should be promotion and relegation..

Who can they get up there to assist in terms of leadership for a year or two?
Clarko as coach would be a great start.
D Talia?
Burgoyne?
Nathan Jones?
R Tarrant?
Cotchin?
Houli?
McEvoy?
Hurn?
Wallis?

They have to pay overs to keep players, as the Vic seagulls circle their players
Yeah because the Vic clubs know the players don’t want to be on the Gold Coast.

Like I said the Gold Coast is not ready for a team in top league.

What do Brisbane and Sydney get? Cola was removed because Fitzpatrick cracked it, it should still be there

But the Expansion clubs set up their clubs with their list management strategy to be raided. They both chose to stockpile young talent that somehow enough low picks woudl guarantee success, It did two things, it make their on field performance weak, and competition for spots high. They could not keep the stickpile and repeatedly used the players leaving to get get more high draft picks and repeat the cycle.

Their situation s product of decisions they made.

Why should these clubs be saved form their own failures. They negotiated their entry conditions. They set up their clubs they way they did. Just why do they deserve an endless succession of handouts because they have not won something? When are Brisbane and Sydney going to stop getting concessions and advantages over other clubs?

St Kilda had not won a flag since 1966. Melbourne 1964, Dockers Never.

Until the AFL moves on from being Expansion and Northern Football centric these clubs will never grow up, and will not be a fair competition.

There should be promotion and relegation..

Is everyone here young? Or do they just have bad memories?

I find it especially rich to see Melbourne supporters showing up in this thread with posts like this:

How about disbanding the Melbourne Football Club after 11 years of failure, which of course included getting busted for tanking, let off with a slap on the wrist, and having the AFL take extra special care of you by paying Paul Roos a million a year to help drag you out of the dumpster? What an embarrassment.

Melbourne supporters are not coming here and sayaing their club CANNOT compete. That a level playing field is beyond the ability of their club to survive.

Is everyone here young? Or do they just have bad memories?

I find it especially rich to see Melbourne supporters showing up in this thread with posts like this:

How about disbanding the Melbourne Football Club after 11 years of failure, which of course included getting busted for tanking, let off with a slap on the wrist, and having the AFL take extra special care of you by paying Paul Roos a million a year to help drag you out of the dumpster? What an embarrassment.
The difference is we are an established club with an established supporter base. Whilst we’ve been underwhelming, we also have history and exist in a football state. Gold Coast is the graveyard for sporting teams (check the history on this) and have not only been given financial handouts from the AFL but also years of draft concessions. It’s an eleven year bust.

I wouldn’t be too high on that perch of yours, I remember a time when the Bulldogs were doing it pretty rough and Eddie spent time on National TV imploring people to get behind the club. You’ve also had your moments of potential capitulation. Late eighties a merger with Fitzroy was flagged wasn’t it?

Whilst questioning the AFL, what the hell is the legitimate reasoning behind your club receiving the no.1 pick? If that isn’t inequality then I don’t know what is.

For the Gold Coast, it's just a matter of waiting for things to click. I remember everyone was talking about what a dumpster fire the Bulldogs were at the end of 2014: 4th straight year of bottom 6, McCartney sacked, Griffen Cooney, Higgins and Jones leaving, pick 6 + Griffen traded for Tom Boyd on a million a year. Everything was a disaster, and we were hotly tipped for the spoon. New coach Luke Beveridge comes in and we finish 6th in 2015, then win the flag in 2016. Turns put our squad was a bit more talented than armchair experts realised.

For Gold Coast, the talent is there, they just need to sack their dud coach and introduce some fresh ideas and philosophies.
After you won the flag you fell out the 8 for two years. You had a decent year in 2015 but don’t kid yourself about 2016, you had a good month of football. Your performance was an outlier. Credit for getting it right at the right time of year but it’s not like you turned into a powerhouse. You may not even win it this year.

No idea why you’re potting Melbourne supporters. This is after all an open forum where anyone can have an opinion. 3 coaches in and the Suns are so far off top 8 after 11 years in a non football state with zero leadership and development evident. I am not sure without AFL assistance how they’ll manage to cope if they play 3-4 games of decent footy then get comprehensively belted.

How can you build a team, when clubs pray on young talent to come back so early, it's simple just make first rounders have 5 year deals, if prospective draftees don't want to play, that's fine do something else, we are the only sport in the world with a go home factor, it needs to be addressed by the AFL, and the AFL needs to allow clubs to be able to freely trade players, I'd say for players 3+ years in the comp without their consent. Any player that is suffering from home sickness and mental health problems, should be ticked off by the club doctor, where clubs from the home state bid for the players services, why does the player choose after being in the system 2 years, which club they want to go too?
They don’t have any leadership. None. Brisbane were flat and out before Fagan took over. You need someone to come in and be able to change that within a couple of years. They pretty much need to have a full overhaul of the coaching fraternity and do what Carlton are doing with a review. Nobody seems to be actually accepting that they are going nowhere and wasting time and ruining careers.

Two posts? Someone's not happy...

The main difference here is I'm not the one calling for the Gold Coast to fold while supporting a club that went through 11 years of failure and needed to beg the AFL to save them. It's that simple: people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
I don’t see how quoting two posts makes me unhappy. But anyway.

If you’re aware of our history, you’d know Jim Stynes was crucial to Melbourne being debt free not long before he passed. The difference between Melbourne and the Gold Coast is that Melbourne have not been reliant on the AFL for 11 years and have an immediate positive future. Roos coached for three years, don’t blow it out of proportion. The Suns have been bank rolled for 11 and are still absolute rubbish. They exist in a non football state and don’t look like going anywhere.

You have to get your facts right because you’re talking out your behind re Melbourne. As I said before, the AFL have kissed you on the chop with giving you the No.1 pick from last year.

What irritates me is that the AFL persists with the Suns, despite a decade of insipid performances, a turnover of quality players like we have never seen, poor crowds, and all of this in a hostile territory, while at the same time Tasmania, an AFL proud state is shunned. I know the reasons given by the AFL, or should I say, I think I know the reasons held by the AFL. Doesn’t make it right

The main difference here is I'm not the one calling for the Gold Coast to fold while supporting a club that went through 11 years of failure and needed to beg the AFL to save them. It's that simple: people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
There was no way Melbourne was going to fold. A club after its inception that’s literally done nothing for 11 years in a non footy state whilst being handed millions upon millions just doesn’t seem to me to be a viable option. If they can sort it out, good on them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You need to get over the fact I am a Melbourne supporter.

Yes, because they're an expansion club.
Melbourne is meant to be a proud club with a 150 year history, and you still had to beg the AFL for help in 2013, and here you are today on your high horse picking on the Gold Coast.

Sure, the AFL might've botched it, but there's still a market in the Gold Coast, and there is no reason they can't succeed. People like you keep saying Gold Coast franchises are destined for failure, but that's all bs. If Melbourne could be a finals side after being a complete joke for 11 years, the sky is the limit for the Gold Coast.
You’ve really got an agenda against Melbourne don’t you? Haven’t all clubs at some point gone through hardship? Hawthorn in the mid nineties? It’s not uncommon at all. I don’t think there is much of a market up there, no sporting team has succeeded up there not to mention one void of leadership and anything meaningful after a decade.

Melbourne itself wiped out a 5 million dollar debt and the AFL gave us about 1 million which was matched by the MCC. Melbourne is a football institution, we are the MCC and we’ve built our history from the back of those established associations. If you go back 11 years then we have turned things around significantly post some AFL support. Again, don’t let the facts get in the way of a good story; Roos coached for 3 years. That’s it. In that time he turned the club around. It’s up to the current crop to do something now.

You just said it yourself ‘Sure, the AFL might have botched it’. Well yeah, they have. You could put a club in Tassie or maybe not one at all? Once again, have the WB never received AFL support? The AFL gifting you the no.1 pick? Why does tote club need that pick?

Because they're non-afl states that don't play footy, the academies don't churn out star after star, they have Heeney and mills from their only, who have the lions got? There's no way Vic clubs should have academies

It should not. It just advnatge because teh AFLL favored Sydney and Brisbane.

Academies.

Why should Brisbane and Sydney have any advantages over the rest of the competition?

They both have merit, Tas and gold coast, everyone wants gold coast and he's to fail, in not sure why. St Kilda has one flag, dogs 2, they are hard to win, patience is required for the two expansion teams and Tassie

I don't have a problem with Melbourne at all, just "fans" like you who throw stones from glass houses.

Maybe if you checked the facts, you'd know the Gold Coast/Queensland market has far more potential than a Tasmanian market ever could.

Giants kept getting value for picks after they came out of their rookie contracts.
We did not, we tried to build a core group and guys on the outer were nit getting games.
The issue is we don’t have the experience that other teams have.
Haven’t helped yourselves delisting a good player in Lyons and and pushing jack Martin to the draft failing to get anything in return stupid incompetent decisions like these haven’t helped

This is the same team, thats got Saad, Smith, stringer, Shiel from other clubs in their peak. Granted you lost Joe and Orazio, both very injury prone, that needed a new start because of their injuries, not sure it's the same.

Clubs are circling all of gold coast first rounders, right after their name is read out on draft night, completely different scenario to the bomberd, where you have the players managers saying stick it out 2 years and we'll get you back.

The majority of guys that are "homesick" are aps schoolboys, that correlation is strong and the AFL need to find solutions otherwise it'll never be a national comp
The wa and sa clubs draft plenty of interstate players the majority of which stay for large parts of there careers . You can’t blame other clubs for the suns being poorly ran pretty much all there high level draft picks at least sign one contract extension if you can’t make a good enough impression after 4-5 seasons on a player that’s on the suns back number one else

No, we have. The difference is you're the one laughably treading on the Gold Coast while they're down, I'm not. You keep missing the point here, I wonder why...
There isn’t some agenda here that you’re fishing for mate. I am not a secret Gold Coast hater, I am just expressing an opinion re how I feel about the Suns. You just need to accept that and move along. It’s not really relevant that I go for Melbourne. The MFC is pretty much the MCC and we’ve got a fairly significant history. We are far from being comparable to Gold Coast.

Dees are rounding into September form and Suns have been good besides that.

Suns still have rowell anderson luko king and rankine

those 5 are yet to hit their prime and will join the likes of touk to become a force

Dew is twice the coach Leon Cameron is.

Both in talent and in physical mass.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back