Grass Roots Football and salary cap

Remove this Banner Ad

ChristianBoy

Club Legend
Suspended
Jul 15, 2022
AFL Club
Melbourne
Lots of teams going into recess and plenty struggling to stay afloat. Salary cap and points system not having the desired effect.

Does anyone know what year the salary cap was introduced to Vic Country?

Lots of teams going into recess and plenty struggling to stay afloat. Salary cap and points system not having the desired effect.

Does anyone know what year the salary cap was introduced to Vic Country?
I can never understand why people use bigfooty instead of google to find things out (or facebook community pages for that matter 🤦‍♂️)

2014, according to this article:

No idea if it's policed or just ignored. I've never heard of a club getting in trouble. I'm aware of leagues that have vastly different player payments between teams, so there's at least a few where it doesn't seem to matter.

I have heard of a club getting the arse from finals after breaking a points system on recruiting in Metro ammos.

2014, according to this article:

No idea if it's policed or just ignored. I've never heard of a club getting in trouble. I'm aware of leagues that have vastly different player payments between teams, so there's at least a few where it doesn't seem to matter.

I have heard of a club getting the arse from finals after breaking a points system on recruiting in Metro ammos.

Tried not on there.

This Is Why You Fail Star Wars GIF

Every club I’ve seen go into recess has a single issue: playing numbers.

Not sure the salary caps and points systems have anything to do with it.

Demographics change very heavily in some areas due to either migration or aging population.

Footy is tough in terms of the numbers you need. In basketball or cricket you can drag together 5 or 10 blokes, grab a fill-in here and there and you’ll be right. A couple of good organisers / motivators with some pull and you’re away.

To run a senior footy club you need 50 players to be viable. Fall below that and you’re in strife. It’s hard, and very fragile.

Every club I’ve seen go into recess has a single issue: playing numbers.

Not sure the salary caps and points systems have anything to do with it.

Demographics change very heavily in some areas due to either migration or aging population.

Footy is tough in terms of the numbers you need. In basketball or cricket you can drag together 5 or 10 blokes, grab a fill-in here and there and you’ll be right. A couple of good organisers / motivators with some pull and you’re away.

To run a senior footy club you need 50 players to be viable. Fall below that and you’re in strife. It’s hard, and very fragile.
Agreed. The other factor with playing numbers is that many no longer work strict 9-5, Mon- Fri. Many of these grass roots clubs and leagues were formed years ago when mid week evenings were free for training and Sat arvo was for footy. Those days are long gone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back