Travel Gold Coast Trams/Transport

Remove this Banner Ad

It didn't seem to do Anna Bligh any wonders but I guess that was before the city realised it was a priority.
GC locals whinged, complained, and campaigned against the light rail being built. Then as soon as it was completed, they loved it. Different circumstances, but there seems to be big support behind extention so it'd definitely be in Turncoat's best interest

Opposition Leader Bill Shorten is currently announcing a $10 billion commitment to infrastructure projects across Australia which includes Gold Coast Light Rail stage two. In fact, quite a few of the infrastructure projects are based in Queensland including the Brisbane Cross River Rail project (includes a Gabba station), the Bruce Highway (connects Brisbane to Cairns), the Ipswich Motorway (definitely needs an upgrade) and the Pacific Highway (connect Brisbane/Gold Coast to Sydney). The announcement also included projects in Melbourne, Sydney, Perth, Adelaide and Tasmania as well as support for the new Townsville Stadium.

The problem here is that by the time the next federal election comes around it'll almost definitely be too late to complete stage two of the light rail before the 2018 Commonwealth Games. It should be interesting to see how Turnbull responds to this.

Malcolm Turnbull is set to sign off on the second stage of the Gold Coast light rail
PRIME Minister Malcolm Turnbull will fly to the Gold Coast tomorrow to sign off on the second stage of the light rail, enabling the critical project to be completed before 2018.

The announcement will follow more than a year of campaigning by the Gold Coast Bulletin on behalf of readers, who repeatedly expressed their overwhelming support for connection of the tram line to the heavy rail system.

More than 82 per cent of locals rated the project as their highest priority for the city in two surveys commissioned by the Bulletin in July this year and 12 months ago.

Bowing to weeks of public pressure lead by the Bulletin, the State Government made the project a priority, lobbying the Federal Government to contribute funding with the State and Council to get it off the ground.

While former Prime Minister Tony Abbott was steadfast in his refusal to help, Mr Turnbull is a long-time light rail supporter and the State last week opened the tender process ahead of an expected funding deal.

Member for Moncrieff Steve Ciobo confirmed the new PM would visit the city for “an announcement”, but could not provide details.

However, the Bulletin understands Mr Turnbull will confirm a Federal funding agreement of the project which was struck with the State Government yesterday.

“I’m very pleased the new Prime Minister is able to come to the Gold Coast so soon after becoming Prime Minister,” he said.

“Malcolm Turnbull has long had a strong affection for the Gold Coast and this visit underscores the value he places on our city.

“I’m pleased that the Prime Minister should be in a position to make an announcement on Sunday, the details of which we’ll have to wait until Sunday for, but I’m informed it will be great news for our city.”

Mr Ciobo said a visit from the Mr Turnbull so soon after his ascension to the top office was testament to the dedication of local coalition MPs.

He said Mr Turnbull would spend a good part of the day in the city.

“The Prime Minister will have the opportunity to mix and mingle with a lot of local Gold Coasters and share their excitement about being on the Coast and also some of the challenges our city faces.”

Staff for Deputy Premier Jackie Trad, Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk and Mayor Tom Tate declined to comment.

Looks like Shorten's announcement on Thursday has kicked Turnbull into action. Presuming it is what we think it is, great news for the city and great news for the 2018 Commonwealth Games. The LNP already has a clean sweep of the Gold Coast seats at both the state and federal level so I can only assume they are either worried they will lose one/some of those seats at the next election or they genuinely want to do the right thing by the city for the Commonwealth Games but I doubt it's the latter.

It's also encouraging to see the local MPs pushing for future extensions to the Airport and upgrades to the M1. Hopefully it all comes together soon.

Fanastic news for the city. Good work, Turnbull. What a huge '**** you' to Abbott too, haha
I'm hoping he also announces funding towards an upgrade of the M1. Currently, it goes from 3 lanes to 2 lanes (either way) at Mudgeeraba which is causing major congestion around the Robina/Varsity Lakes exits. Considering a lot of people live and work in the Robina area, this upgrade is desperately needed. The two areas of the M1 that congest really badly in peak hour are Robina and Coomera. Coomera is already 4 lanes and can't really be fixed but Robina can be fixed quite easily. Prior to the last two upgrades of the M1 (Nerang to Worongary and Worongary to Mudgeeraba), the congestion used to be really bad in Nerang when it went from 3 to 2 lanes. Now it runs smoothly all the way to Mudgeeraba and then congestion begins because of the bottleneck situation.

Eventually the M1 will have to become 3 lanes all the way to the border but for now I don't think it's as vital in the southern suburbs like Palm Beach and Currumbin because less people live down that way. However, it's still a priority because of the Gold Coast Airport in Coolangatta. Fingers crossed Turnbull throws the Gold Coast another bone tomorrow.

Turnbull has agreed to the extension funding, saw it in his Twitter feed
Correct.

Turnbull commits $95 million of Commonwealth funding towards Gold Coast light rail stage 2

Considering stage 2 as a whole is going to cost between $600-700 million, the commitment wasn't really that impressive but something is better than nothing, right? Gold Coast City Council committed around $50 million last month so we're looking at the QLD state gov having to commit somewhere between $450-550 million to make this project a reality, which is obviously going to happen now that they've made the announcement. Funding for the first stage was far more evenly spread but you can always make the argument that public transport is a state issue and should be funded mainly through the state anyway.

Interestingly, Annastacia Palaszczuk is the only politician to be involved in both announcements of GC light rail funding:

Stage 1
rUAdYcT.jpg

Stage 2
ln7VMnh.jpg

Malcolm looking very dapper, even Anna looks presentable.

I agree that more would of been welcome but it's 95 million more than Abbot offered and 95 million less that Shorten would borrow ;)
Obviously the offer is a lot better than Abbott's promise of nothing. You need to spend money to create jobs which in turn will lower the unemployment rate and raise the amount of tax revenue governments receive. Thousands of jobs are going to be created on the Gold Coast directly as a result of this project going ahead and I'm sure thousands more will be created indirectly as developers look to take advantage of the upcoming Commonwealth Games.

Earlier this year we saw the national unemployment reach a 12-year high which means less tax revenue and forced the government to try to pass some sneaky workarounds through the senate. Ultimately those moves were very unpopular and Australians saw through their bs but it doesn't change the fact that creating more jobs is the better way to go about addressing any sort of financial deficit the government is facing. You have to spend money to make money.

I commend Mr. Turnbull for flying to the Gold Coast and providing funding for a much needed piece of infrastructure and I just hope he continues along this vein for Queensland and the rest of Australia.

Exactly, so I suggest you stop trying to rewrite it and actually read it ;)
We will agree to disagree

Qld health pay utensil up
Tahitian princes
Desalination plants
Water pipelines to link dams
Allow over filling of dams that lead to flood
Beatie paid to be Qld ambassador to USA
Premier gifted her seat by father
Premier actively encouraging unionism ( sounds like a leader for all.....not)
Backing off bikie laws

Billions wasted just off the top of my head due to incompetence

Let's not forget Nationally

Leader takes brides but pays them back a day before investigation
Refuses to answer questions a royal commission and is called an uncred witness
Craig Thompson
Billions in debt of which the interest payments alone could build hospitals
Julia Gillards house Reno

There's a lot to dislike

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Iva Bigun, from what you've posted in the past, your biggest issue with the Labor party appears to be the 'out of control spending' and 'huge debt' they've put the country in. While it is true that the Rudd/Gillard governments spent more than was expected, our debt-to-GDP ratio (used to determine a country's ability to repay debt) is actually really healthy. A ratio of 60% is considered an ideal position to be in for developed countries and we're well below that (just under 30%). Countries such as Great Britain, USA and France are all above 60%. So I guess what I'm getting at is that the Rudd/Gillard government's did overspend a bit while in power but to say we have uncontrollable debt is just plain wrong and a fallacy held by many LNP supporters. We're still in a very healthy position despite the fact that Abbott put us into further debt since being voted in. For what it's worth, Queensland's debt-to-GDP ratio sits at around 24%.

Anyway, shall we talk about the trams? Stage 2 is going to include three stops at Parkwood East, Parkwood and Helensvale. The Parkwood East station will be mainly used by students that live in Parkwood, of which there are a lot. The Parkwood station is where the light rail meets the heavy rail for the first time (and the M1) and an infill train station will be created with more parking to create a park 'n' ride station for both the trams and trains. The Helensvale station will become the main train/tram station connecting Brisbane and Gold Coast as it's Brisbane's rail connection to the beach. It also happens to be the main train station used to transport patrons to the theme parks with shuttle buses running regularly from the station to Movie World, Wet n Wild etc. It's also located right next to a Westfield Shopping Centre so there will be plenty of reasons to go to Helensvale in the near future. Here is a video if I didn't explain it very well:

What light rail stage 3 will cost: Deputy mayor visits Canberra to lobby for light rail

So lobbying for funding towards a Burleigh tram extension has begun. According to the above article, a Broadbeach to Burleigh extension would cost $480 million. The article also says the council will lobby for funding towards an extension of the GC Highway to Coomera as well as widening of the M1 between Mudgeeraba and Varsity Lakes. All three projects are definitely needed as congestion is starting to become a serious problem through the city and the two major road (M1 and GC Highway) simply aren't equipped to handle that much traffic.

The M1 stretches from the GC-Logan border (Yatala-Beenleigh) to the QLD-NSW border (Coolangatta-Tweed Heads) which is great but it's not wide enough south of Mudgeeraba. On top of that, the GC Highway only covers about 80% of the city. It stretches from Helensvale to the QLD-NSW border. A big reason there is so much congestion in the Coomera area is just because the M1 is the only major road there, where as anyone south of Helensvale is able use two (and sometimes three) major roads. So extending the GC Highway from Helensvale, through Coombabah/Hope Island and up to Coomera would be hugely beneficial to the booming northern suburbs. Eventually you can extend that north to anything east of the M1 whether it be Pimpama or even Jacobs Well but right now the demand is only there for Coomera.

I feel like extending the light rail to Burleigh will finally unite the two great historic townships of Southport and Burleigh. As a local, I know there is a disconnect there but I believe a tram extension will go a long way to connecting everyone.

What light rail stage 3 will cost: Deputy mayor visits Canberra to lobby for light rail

So lobbying for funding towards a Burleigh tram extension has begun. According to the above article, a Broadbeach to Burleigh extension would cost $480 million. The article also says the council will lobby for funding towards an extension of the GC Highway to Coomera as well as widening of the M1 between Mudgeeraba and Varsity Lakes. All three projects are definitely needed as congestion is starting to become a serious problem through the city and the two major road (M1 and GC Highway) simply aren't equipped to handle that much traffic.

The M1 stretches from the GC-Logan border (Yatala-Beenleigh) to the QLD-NSW border (Coolangatta-Tweed Heads) which is great but it's not wide enough south of Mudgeeraba. On top of that, the GC Highway only covers about 80% of the city. It stretches from Helensvale to the QLD-NSW border. A big reason there is so much congestion in the Coomera area is just because the M1 is the only major road there, where as anyone south of Helensvale is able use two (and sometimes three) major roads. So extending the GC Highway from Helensvale, through Coombabah/Hope Island and up to Coomera would be hugely beneficial to the booming northern suburbs. Eventually you can extend that north to anything east of the M1 whether it be Pimpama or even Jacobs Well but right now the demand is only there for Coomera.

I feel like extending the light rail to Burleigh will finally unite the two great historic townships of Southport and Burleigh. As a local, I know there is a disconnect there but I believe a tram extension will go a long way to connecting everyone.
I'm extremely interested in the route they're going to take from Broadbeach to Burleigh. It'll be the perfect extension and will likely boost the local economy immensely in smaller places like Mermaid, Miami, etc.

Though I feel the real difficulty will be the Burleigh to Airport extension given Currumbin has plenty of hills and slopes that aren't passable via light rail, so it'll take a load of funding to either build a tunnel or an entirely new route.

I'm extremely interested in the route they're going to take from Broadbeach to Burleigh. It'll be the perfect extension and will likely boost the local economy immensely in smaller places like Mermaid, Miami, etc.

Though I feel the real difficulty will be the Burleigh to Airport extension given Currumbin has plenty of hills and slopes that aren't passable via light rail, so it'll take a load of funding to either build a tunnel or an entirely new route.
A Broadbeach to Burleigh extension would be huge for the city as a whole and I believe it's a matter of when, not if. As you pointed out, suburbs like Mermaid and Miami would benefit immensely from it and I think it would be the end of the Gold Coast's best kept secret - Burleigh Heads. Tourists will quickly learn how nice Burleigh is and that's probably a good thing and a bad thing.

You're probably more right than you think when it comes to the airport extension. There was an article in the GC Bulletin a few weeks back that detailed how problematic it would be for the tram to be extended over the Tallebudgera and Currumbin Creek bridges. The money required for that to become a reality virtually makes it not worth it. It has been suggested that the tram line be taken inland to the Varsity Lakes railway station and then south to the airport via an inland route. It's not the worst idea and would create a second tram/train station on the GC (the first being Helensvale in a few years).

http://www.gchaveyoursay.com.au/lightrailsoutherngc?preview=true

the next stage/s of the light rail is being put to the public for their opinion. they've proposed around 6/7 possible options for the next expansion. personally, here's what i'd like to see.

trams.jpg

the red, green and blue options are all possibilities as listed in the link above (the red line cut up into possibly two stages). there were a few other options, but i feel this would best suit the coast. red line connects the existing broadbeach station, down through miami, burleigh, palm beach, before taking a bypass along the M1 (this was what was proposed on the website, i'm assuming it might not work following the main road at this point?) before cutting back through tugun and stopping down next to the airport along the beach.

unless they're planning to connect the train line from varsity to the airport (which would make more sense, and would be a lot quicker in getting tourists to the main hotspots of the gold coast), then i'd propose the red line.

the green line was also proposed on the website, with 1 of 2 options; one going the route shown and the other going the shorter route along cheltnam drive. connecting robina via the university makes a lot more sense, and i daresay bond uni might even dangle a carrot to help push this option forward. with the light rail already connected to griffith, bond wouldn't wanna miss out on that drawcard.

the blue option is a lower preference, but would probably be one of the easiest to build in terms of infrastructure. the wide reedy creek road is perfect to run a tram down the middle of already, and would hit a lot of the industrial/shops along that part, along with connecting to the train line. although, the option on the website only shows it stopping in burleigh heads near the beach, which i think is slightly pointless without the broadbeach line extending down to it.

the purple option is one i drew up. this one's probably a fair few years down the track, but if the red and green lines go ahead, i feel this one would benefit us as suns supporters greatly. the purple line would connect the robina train station/shopping center up through clear island waters, then with metricon stadium, and eventually nerang station. there's a bit of land between markeri street and the roundabout at gooding drive, along with the land between palm meadows and carrara (which has had that for sale sign up for years!) which i feel developers would snap up if this option went ahead. making this connection would not only get rid of the god awful bus services that we've currently got running to and from after the games, but would again connect the light rail and the train line. there's plenty of land out the back of nerang station to build a tram hub. high frequency trams on game night at metricon would be brilliant. the dashed purple line is also another option, to connect it back to the main line at broady.

a lot of the businesses along stage 1 of the light rail were hit hard during construction, but with all that land around clear island waters and further north, i reckon if you build it they will come. similarly, a large block of land was recently purchased up in arundle, right near where stage 2 of the light rail is going to pass by, set to be built into a housing estate starting mid-next year.

i realise all this stuff costs money, but it's an investment worth making, and will only continue to bring tourists to the gold coast for the right reasons. i reckon these lines would not only help show off the best of the coast, but help boost sport on the gold coast as well. we have so much potential to branch out and build a great transport network, it might take a couple decades but i hope it happens!

should just make myself more clear on one point. the train line should have been extended from varsity to the airport years before the light rail idea was even conceived.

connecting the light rail with the gold coast airport through only light rail is a bad idea. it would take hours for tourists to get to surfers paradise along the proposed light rail from cooly up through broady. they should prioritise getting them there as quick as possible. a link to varsity via train then either light rail from varsity of robina east towards the coast should be the way to move forward.

doesn't seem like they're considering it unfortunately.

just found this. proposed high frequency public transport network, as per the gold coast city transport strategy 2031

transport1.jpg

doesn't look like any southern train line extension will be happening before 2031. also, looks like any hope of having the light rail run through metricon to nerang stadium isn't on the cards at all. :/

Good stuff, exile. Plans for a heavy extension to the airport have definitely been put on the back burner lately with the success of the light rail. I like the idea of a Burleigh-Coolangatta extension that goes inland at Palm Beach and returns to the coast line at Tugun, which avoids the logistical nightmare that Currumbin Creek poses. That leaves the possibility of a heavy rail extension to the airport open while also servicing the airport with the light rail. I think if they build east-west spurs at Palm Beach, Burleigh, Broadbeach/Surfers Paradise and Southport that connect to heavy stations then it would be a solid public transport network.
  • Southport light rail is already being extended west to Helensvale heavy rail.
  • A light rail extension from Surfers to Bundall could continue west on Ashmore Rd and eventually reach Royal Pines, Metricon and Nerang heavy rail.
  • A light rail extension from Burleigh to Robina seems like a matter of when, not if.
  • I think the council's preference is for the light rail line to travel west from Palm Beach out to Elanora where there is a proposed future heavy rail station.
Once that's all done, you can start thinking about light rail extensions along Southport-Burleigh Rd. That's a central line that is probably, at the very least, 20 years away. If we look at exile's example of tourists taking public transport from the airport to Surfers Paradise, a journey via heavy rail from the airport to Nerang would take about 20 minutes and I would predict a light rail journey from Nerang to Surfers Paradise along Ashmore Rd would probably take another 20 minutes. A 40 minute rail trip from the airport to the heart of Surfers Paradise is about as good as it's going to get. It would also mean you could get to Metricon from the airport in about 25 minutes.

But, that's all years down the track. Right now it's about making the Burleigh extension a reality.

Work to start on $163 million track duplication which will allow more trains on Brisbane-Gold Coast line

Well done to the state government for filling in the last section of the Gold Coast line that isn't duplicated between Helensvale and Coomera. It can't be underestimated how much of a difference this will make when the light rail is extended to the Helensvale train station. Awesome news for the GC as it will be completed before the Comm Games in 2018. Currently, the Gold Coast line is often referred to as the 'Bombay Express' during peak hour as it is quite busy with all the Gold Coasters heading to Brisbane for work. This upgrade should mean more trains running more frequently which will obviously help with the overcrowding issues they are currently facing.

Work will start in March 2016.

Deputy Prime Minister Warren Truss approves $300m Gold Coast Airport redevelopment plan
RETIRING Deputy Prime Minister Warren Truss has approved the $300 million redevelopment plan for Gold Coast Airport as one of his last actions in office.

The redevelopment at the southern end of the airport will meet future demand and deliver better services, while creating jobs and other economic opportunities for the future.

Stage one of construction is due to commence within six months and include two new wide-bodied aircraft stands and a three-level terminal development, with four aerobridges and improved ground transport facilities.

This stage of the proposed redevelopment will be completed in late 2017 prior to the Commonwealth Games, when more than 126,000 visitors, athletes, officials, and media are

expected to descend on the Gold Coast.

Subsequent stages of the project are scheduled to be completed in late 2018 and late 2020 and include further enhancements to the existing terminal building and an additional three wide-bodied aircraft parking stands.

Airport chief operating officer Marion Charlton said the plan, dubbed Project LIFT, would boost their vision of being the first choice for visitors and locals travelling to and from southeast Queensland and northern New South Wales.

“In January Gold Coast Airport welcomed over 600,000 passengers, our biggest month ever,” she said.

“This fantastic result comes on the back of more than 6 million passengers in 2015, highlighting the urgent need to expand our terminal and apron space.

“Project LIFT will ensure better use of terminal space and less congestion, meaning service for travellers is faster and more efficient. There will also be broader retail choice.”

In September Gold Coast Airport appointed Watpac Limited, as managing contractor for building works.

The main civil works contract for site clearance, drainage realignment, and apron and taxiway

construction is currently out to tender and will be awarded in April.

Queensland Airports Limited CEO Chris Mills said more than 230 fulltime jobs would be created during stage one of construction, with another 180 direct fulltime workers will be required for ongoing operations.

More great news for the Gold Coast! A three-level terminal building and four aerobridges by the end of next year? Yes please!

Mayor commits to light rail stage III to airport if re-elected

He believes he can open it to the public by March 2020 (just before the next local election) at a total cost of $1.54 billion. The preferred route is straight down the Gold Coast Highway between Broadbeach and Coolangatta. That includes the suburbs of Mermaid Beach, Miami, Burleigh Heads, Tallebudgera, Palm Beach, Currumbin, Tugun and Bilinga. He described it as the "spine" of the Gold Coast's future public transport network. This would likely mean stage 4 would become a western spur line to Robina.

If he can secure the funding at the state and federal levels then I think this would be a really good thing for the city. Apparently he has 5000 signature from Gold Coast residents to plead his case. The airport has already marked out land for the light rail station that will be located just 100 metres from the airport terminal. It should also be pointed out that the final stage of the Gold Coast airport upgrade will be completed in early 2021 so it will all be integrated.

i think extending the train line makes more sense getting tourists to surfers/broady quicker, if the light rail was to be connected with robina first that is. obviously the light rail sounds more exciting than trains.

still not really sold on light rail. clearly helpful for some, who live in the areas surrounding it, but i feel if you would be travelling from the end of stage 2 at helensvale station to the end of stage 1 at pac fair, it would take quite a while. too long, in fact, for people to even consider it as a way to get to/from work. the convenience of driving outweighs the current transport at the moment.

london's transport system works pretty bloody good, or at least i thought so when i was there last year. obviously the need for it is much higher in london than the gold coast, but until we have a system that provides similar efficiency with speed and number of stations/locations, scaled to what the gold coast needs (or will need to cope with growth), i'll still be driving to work mon-fri. obviously the light rail is handy for those in the area, but not everyone can afford to live along broady/surfers when a fair percentage of the gc population still live out in the suburbs alongside the M1, which the light rail doesn't really serve much use to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back