Review Good, Bad and Ugly vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Good - Danger, Crouch, Hawks
Bad - Smothered handballs, number of handballs into pressure, not enough pressure on the Hawks kickers
Ugly - Eddie, that call by Razor

I've had a bit of a shift in my thoughts on Rutten and Porps ... they both need to hang 'em up before it gets embarrassing.

Martin is done for me - not enough composure with the ball, wastes too many possessions.
Martin and Hendo were in that 'Vanilla' bracket...

You didn't dislike like it but wouldn't go back for it if something else was one offer...

Awesome
Crouch
Pods

Good
Sloane
Danger

Bad
Douglas a shadow of his former self since his ball slice - just a step too slow and those up and under kicks ffs!
Our small defenders in Jaensch, Brown and even Laird are being caught out especially on the rebound -keep your feet and watch where your opponent is!

Ugly
Rutten -mate I love you but what's happened?
Those three guys in flouro
Porps another club legend, sad to see how it's turned out.

Ok, a real early call, but Brad Crouch must be some sort of chance to become one of the greatest Crows of all time. 40 touches. That was his 19th game all time, and his 3rd back from a broken leg.

Has any player got 40 touches in a game in one of his first 20 games? Let alone against the Premiers?

Stamp his contract now with WILL PAY WHATEVER HE WANTS.

Good
Danger, Crouch, Pods, Jenkins, Sloane, Smith, Wright

Bad
Otten, Betts, Hendo, Porps

Ugly
3rd quarter, 11 scoring shots to 0 at one point? not good enough.

Porps out for M.Crouch next week. P.S. I hate the sub rule. You want to get full games into Lyons and Crouch rather than being sub fodder.

Good
- Danger, Crouch, Sloane and Smith
- JJ
- Sauce
- our effort
- JPod

Bad
- Douglas needs to have more of an impact
- Hendo however if is only his 2nd game back
- Lynch's lack of kicking penetration

Ugly
- team selection especially our back line match ups
- Otten, please trade... Slow, goes to ground, can't tackle and gets exposed by quality forwards

Good
-Crouch
-Dangerfield
-Talia
-Smith
-Wright
-Martin
-Brown most of the game
-Jenkins
-Podsiadly
-Thought Sauce battled valiantly all night
-Jaensch pretty good
-Sloane
-Picking JPod in the GC challenge. Tipped Hawks by 13 pts in Bigfooty Tips, nearly got the perfect Bigfooty tipping night. Could also throw in Jenkins being in my Phantom Draft team, also.
-Umpiring. Was really concerned pre-match, but thought they were pretty fair.

Bad
-Poor execution under pressure.
-Poor decision making under pressure.
-Poor at the selection table. Thomspon selection, playing to tall forward allowing HBF to run rampant, Porps in team as sub.
-Opposition had a better understanding of how to play us then we did against them - Coaching.
-Poor tackling.
-Otten, but improved in second half
-Henderson
-Laird
-Betts
-Rutten
-Porplyzia as sub, but coaching staff partly to blame.

Ugly
-We had a chance on the big stage to put a strong performance in, a spot in the Finals was on the line and we blow it.

189 kicks 221 handballs

Handball under pressure .......Hawks composed under pressure .....Crows handling hot potatoes, no composure

That's it in a nutshell

As much as Sando keeps saying to penetrate deep into the forward 50 , we KEEP ON going shallow and turning the ball over
Players under pressure choosing to kick short OR bombing aimlessly into the forward 50 .......just lack of composure

There's no doubt the Crows fell out of the game coinciding with Scott Thompson falling out of the game with injury .......he's a super clearance player and with him gone Hawks got easy clearances and scored heavily

Martin ......best game for the club EVER ...if there was any doubt about getting another contract, that was dismissed tonight .....for a player living on the edge of getting delisted was super composed and made good decisions :thumbsu:

Sloane ......That's leadership with capital letter LEADERSHIP!!!

Podsiadly .....Elite Crow you wanted to know when JPod EVER took a contested mark & to let you know when he does .......did you watch tonight :rolleyes:

Dangerfield ......obviously playing under duress and unable to use his pace .....he gave everything out there

Douglas ......... a long way off his best form ...just not running the lines and his pace is not being used ...poor game

Otten .........what do you say, game from hell ...his confidence was shot halfway thru the first qtr

Jenkins .......I'll be the odd man out here, but does 5 goals outweigh his NON EXISTENT DEFENSE?? .....maybe just

Crouch .......just confirmed tonight HE IS or WILL be our best midfielder ...yes better than Sloane & Danger....just makes the right decisions every time

Wright .......one i think floats in & out of games and kicks too shallow .....stand by my view he is tradeable & has good trade value ...not essentail moving forward

Jeansch ......for all his good disposal, under pressure he makes bad decisions & panics

Smith .......the debate rages, HB or midfield? Sando in the last qtr screamed when Tex marked the ball 25 mtrs out due to frustration of us NOT going deep into the forward 50. If anyone will consistently kick it deep, low and accurately it's Smith ......get him on a wing permanently

Henderson .....2nd game back ...enough said & he'll be better for the run

Defense ....The whole defense minus Rutten & Talia showed a distinct lack of composure, panicking, and constantly turning the ball over with wrong options. How about snappy handballs rather than loopy handballs.

Finally ...about 20 smothers to 2 smothers by the Crows & shows a whole different level of pressure. We conceded possession to easy, a big lesson to be learnt from tonight .....IMO we'll be much better for the rest of the season from tonights lesson.

No doom & gloom

Serious question.. I realise the hawks are still winning but it seems the good players are able to play their game against your team. Ablett always dominates likewise Danger. Is there any concern that you don't tag?

Yeah fair comment and that's just it - we don't really put a hard tag on anyone. While Dangerfield was great tonight he didn't really hurt us significantly, if you went back and watched our game against Gold Coast you would see Ablett gets a heap of it but his possessions were not that influential. We seem happy to let players rack up touches as long as they don't hurt us. Conversely we never seem to have anyone that racks up large numbers (even over 30), not sure if this is a conscious thing. I guess it used to worry me but not anymore and it certainly isn't something that is spoken about as a concern amongst our supporters. Hope that answers your question.

Douglas - what's wrong as cost us 3 turnover goals.
Hendo - gave up 2 turnover goals.
Rutten - should not have played as unfit when we have lt & Hartigan.
Otten - got murdered early by class of gunston

We were desperate, hawks were classier.

Btw.
Pods - monstered hawks defenders.
Jj made most of his chances - no waste.
Lynch - cost us 2 scoring shots with dumb decision making - very UN-lynch like.

Crouch & sloaney tried their guts out in the midfield.

Hope hawks win the flag.

Good:

Danger: Inside work was dominant, but even then that would of been the least damaging 40 disposal game he had. A shame.
Sloane: Was everywhere, his defensive work is great.
Crouch: 40 disposals for a 20 year old... what, even.
Smith: Pretty strong game, got heaps of the ball. Seems like a dominant wingman.
Jacobs: did his bit
Pods: First half was great, faded a bit though.
Jenkins: 5 goals, thought he'd end up with 7-8 before Hawks turned on the screws.
Points of that game we really took it to the Hawks.
Bar 1-2 decisions, umpiring was good. Well... good considering who was out there.

Bad:
Henderson: Just made bad decisions all game, cost us a couple of goals and his good kicking was notably absent.
Douglas: Was very sloppy. Needs a week off to get his head right.
Porplyzia: Shouldn't of been picked. Had no impact and had no chance to.
Lynch: Love the guy but that was a pretty terrible game.
Hawks: They are a very classy outfit. How i wish we were at their level.

Ugly:
Jenkins being nearly injured... glad he recovered though.
Oh Ray. Got spooked about the siren eh?
The way we were suffocated, two big periods of time they were murdering us.
Rain coming in 45 minutes after the game.

Hawks were very good. Even under strength they cut teams up with their disposal. We were also very good, for the most part. Just couldn't match it with one of the best in the comp. Played a risky game plan, which we played very well. We just didn't have the same class and Hawthorn capitalised on our errors.

Good:

Crouch. Bog for us. Guy had a lethal handball. Maybe searches for it too often. Excellent in the midfield tonight against quality opposition.

Sloane. Arguably bog with crouch. Effort is ridiculous every week and his disposal has improved. Excellent defensive work and contested marking.

Dangerfield. Wasn't highly effective but kept in the game and won a lot of important contested possessions.

Jacobs. Some excellent taps and great around the ground touches. Would be up there for the bnf.

Brown. Wins one on ones and was composed with the ball. Except for that one handball.

Jenkins. Took his chances. Good haul for him.

Pods was good.

Was Talia on rough head? If so good job.

Bad:

Jaensch. Poor defensively.

Betts. Couldn't get near it.

Otten. Getting beaten so often.

Hendo was good and bad. Some poor kicks, which he is known for. Also makes some really good decisions and will get better with more game time.

Douglas. Hard to summarise how he is going. Just doesn't do anything effective. Can't get space, which has always been his strength. Wish he could find form.

Martin wasn't great. Just ineffective.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

good:
danger, crouch, pods, sloane, smith. the usual suspects
patches where we play brilliant stuff

bad:
everything we say basically every week. poor skills under pressure. poor decisions under pressure. lack of consistency

ugly:
otten, hendo, lynch. all just dreadful.
porps. added nothing, which is what your sub is meant to do. silly, silly stuff

Im not convinced that Martin has earned a new contract

The club needs to make some clinical decisions or we will continue to hover around the bottom of the 8

Good: Danger Sloane Crouch Smith Talia

Bad:

Ugly: Douglas, goodbye, stopping jogging around the field like you're on ****ing holiday.
Lynch, not good enough.
Porps, pathetic, brought on at the wrong time. Should have been the other Crouch.
Being threatened with eviction for my sign.

AFC, just **** off.

Good: Danger, Sauce, Crouch, Smithers & I hate to admit it ....umpires.
Bad: Ceglar popping u everywhere. wtf???. Playing on from a good forward position only to cough the ball up.
Ugly: Eddies 200th

Douglas - what's wrong as cost us 3 turnover goals.
Hendo - gave up 2 turnover goals.
Rutten - should not have played as unfit when we have lt & Hartigan.
Otten - got murdered early by class of gunston

We were desperate, hawks were classier.

Btw.
Pods - monstered hawks defenders.
Jj made most of his chances - no waste.
Lynch - cost us 2 scoring shots with dumb decision making - very UN-lynch like.

Crouch & sloaney tried their guts out in the midfield.

Hope hawks win the flag.
:thumbsu:

I'm still gutted that we missed our chance to land Gibbs. Tonight showed - again - how badly we need quality disposal like his.

Betts and Douglas were terrible tonight; awful, awful, awful. Their turnover just after Jenkins had put us in front was a game changer; we were never in it after that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back