Employment Group Interviews and Aptitude Tests

Remove this Banner Ad

MoscowHawk

Team Captain
Jul 6, 2011
Warsaw, Poland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm going for a job interview in August. The interview process in this company is particularly rigorous. There are a lot of applicants but not many positions, so I really need to nail the interview process, as I think I've got the right experience to get the job.

In terms of aptitude tests, I've starting sitting one a day to improve my performance in them. Anyone have a decent (preferably free) resource where I can get access to lots of tests? Any other tips on how to improve in this area?

The main thing I'm concerned about is group interviews. I've never been through anything like it, as the jobs I've got in the past have always been through contacts, so no need for a selection process. The main questions are:
- What is a group interview?
- What kind of tasks may be set?
- What are the interviewers looking for?
- How does one excel at this sort of thing?

The company is looking for someone who can "think outside the box", which I'm not too bad at, but I'm really looking to improve.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Group interviews are pretty fun - I did a few when going for intern and grad positions in the last few years. A group interview is basically another way employers like to screen potential employee candidates and gives them a chance to look at the field (selection pool) so they can see how you work with others and presumably, to allow them to then select the best/most appropriate people to be interviewed for the role.

For my current job, I had to do a phone interview first with someone from HR and then that was followed by aptitude tests. After that came a group interview and then a formal interview with a HR person and then the final stage (if you made it that far) was another one on one interview though this time with the hiring manager (basically the guy I was going to report to in the role).

From the group interviews I've done in the past, most of them involved a section where you introduced yourself to the other candidates and talked about yourself briefly. I think they try and put you out of your comfort zone by putting you with strangers and then seeing how you react.

There is almost always a timed group 'problem solving' exercise where you are given a problem (normally with no clear cut answers) and need to work within your group to come up with a solution to present to the rest of the interview class. As an example, one I did involved a tour group of about 10 different people who got trapped in a cave with rising water and there was only time to save 5 of them and the task was to work as a group to select 5 to be rescued and then 'justify' why you had made those selections.

Th final thing you might need to do is a presentation (either as a group or an individual). When going for my current job, I had to complete an individual presentation on the day (case study was provided as preparation material) and then do a group presentation (where the group has a limited amount of time on the day to allocate sections, share ideas and then present them to the class).

I think ultimately what the interviewers are looking for (normally they have at least 2-3 watching) are which candidates show the traits they most want in the organisation. They might want the candidates who show most leadership (i.e who takes charge on group activities), who speaks up and contributes idea frequently, who works well in a team etc.

My advice would be to try and speak up and make yourself heard - that's a good way to 'stand out' against the people you are competing against. You don't want to over do it but at least try and appear to be engaged and switched on. Try and ask questions when given the chance (some group interviews involve a presentation from someone already in the role and that's a good chance to show the interviewers you are generally passionate about the role). When working in any group activities, try and contribute actively/volunteer to do things as it shows you are comfortable working with strangers and are focused on getting the job done by working as a team. If someone suggests something you don't like, try and ask them politely what they mean or why they think that (definitely try to avoid being confrontational haha). The interviewers may listen in while you guys discuss the topic/problem and it's always a positive to see people with different views/ideas calmly and rationally trying to explain their way of thinking/find an agreeable compromise. You want to be heard and you want to contribute regularly but you don't want to be dominating/intimidating. When other people speak, make sure you listen and give them eye contact as that generally shows respect (another thing employers look out for).

I think the key is to be confident in yourself. Chances are you might not know the people you're competing against and they won't know you so don't feel the need to take second place to them. Don't hold back and let people walk over you - at the end of the day you are competing with them for the same/similar roles so you need to put yourself first and assert yourself.

For the aptitude tests, they normally are just various problem solving questionnaires I think - doing practice/mock tests might be a good way to get your brain in that problem solving zone. I think getting enough rest is important to avoid mistakes. I personally drink either a strong coffee or get an energy drink before doing them so I feel 'buzzed' :D

Hope it goes well for you mate - let me know if I confused you or if you need anything further

Don't over think it, if you do, you will surely fail. Group interviews are crap. It gives you very limited time to outshine the others. Especially when they always get you to do a group task in 2 groups. You are stranded on a desert island and you can only have 10 things with you, they give you a list and your group has to come up with a list of 10.

The recruiting people from the company see how you interact with each other as that's always important with team work. They want to see if you are a follower or a leader also.

So in other words, I hate group interviews. 1 on 1's or even 1 on 2's are great, you get plenty of time to put forward your case.

Don't over think it, if you do, you will surely fail. Group interviews are crap. It gives you very limited time to outshine the others. Especially when they always get you to do a group task in 2 groups. You are stranded on a desert island and you can only have 10 things with you, they give you a list and your group has to come up with a list of 10.

The recruiting people from the company see how you interact with each other as that's always important with team work. They want to see if you are a follower or a leader also.

So in other words, I hate group interviews. 1 on 1's or even 1 on 2's are great, you get plenty of time to put forward your case.

That's definitely true and a 1 on 1 interview will always give the employer a better chance to run the rule over you and give them the best chance of deciding if you're a good fit for the job. I think a group interview helps them cut down the field to the best shortlist they can then interview, saving them some time.

As an HR practitioner, I hate group interviews. I much prefer a 2-on-1 with the line manager and myself, to gauge cultural fit and technical skills.

The most important thing to remember is to have confidence in your ability. Don't let the other candidates intimidate you, make sure you participate as much as possible without actively minimising the contribution of the others-you don't want to appear as though you can't compromise or take feedback/suggestions from other people.

Nope, no they're not. Always one knob in the group who is trying to show what a born leader he/she is and it's hard to reason with them and talk them down. Bitch slapping them doesn't seem to impress the HR staff.

Each to their own I guess. Agreed that you get a few knobs there but the reality of it is everyone there is trying to 'market' themselves and at the end of the day, everyone is trying to impress the HR staff so might not be acting as they would normally.

The fun aspect I was referring to is, for me, the group problem solving activities. Maybe I'm a bit weird but I like seeing how groups interact with each other. I also prefer the social interactions over things like online tests or phone interviews.

The fun aspect I was referring to is, for me, the group problem solving activities. Maybe I'm a bit weird but I like seeing how groups interact with each other. I also prefer the social interactions over things like online tests or phone interviews.
But it's a false economy because it's not a natural environment.

But it's a false economy because it's not a natural environment.

True but how many candidates are going to be their natural selves when going for a job? Everyone is trying to sell their best image/brand/picture to employers to show why they are the best fit for the job. It's all about impressing the HR folks. Once you have the job, you technically could be a different person to the person you were in the interview as you've landed the job.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back