Society & Culture Growing Old / Old People

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
No one gives old people the time of day anymore 🙁 They're just meant to shut up, go away, not look at you, shuffle off and die. No interest in their thoughts, stories, or general chat. 🙁

In the old days, old people were treated like wise beings, respected, etc. While there are still many people who still feel that way, it seems the majority of people are far more dismissive of them in everyday life.

Of course, regardless of age and social standing, respect must be earned, not simply afforded to someone because they're old(er). There are many crazy foolish old people, yelling at clouds, or creepy weirdos. Or those insufferably lonely ones who hold up lines at the mall or bank by chit-chatting to the person at the counter. Also, most of the political and corporate world is made up of old people, who have contributed to the poor state of the world and the suffering of the masses....but that's more a result of power and greed than age itself. There are young(er) politicians and business people who are doing the same thing.

I mean more just day to day. The old man or woman who approaches the counter of a shop, the attendant says "yeah what do you want", just rude, dismissive, often may not even look the old person in the eyes because they're old (hence unattractive, so not worth their effort).....that kind of thing, where the old person has not even been given the chance to show their personality, or isn't a weirdo trying to engage in time-wasting chat.

An old(er) man, say 50, looks at a woman say 35, and she ewwws him away simply because he looks old. Some men/women aged 50 can look very attractive still, so that may not happen to them as much. But generally, an old(er) looking person is essentially dismissed immediately due to gray hair, wrinkles, balding, drooping neck skin, etc, all those signs of old age. You see them in the corner of your eye and they don't merit your eyes, you want nothing from them, you don't want their eyes or their conversation, you're not interested in getting to know them. People only wanting the company of people because they're attractive or appealing in some way, there's something they can provide you, otherwise they're worthless.

I see it every day, millions of examples, but for instance, a 70 yo man meeting up with a male personal trainer, i was standing around waiting for someone, and watched them interact....the old man tried to say something, a quick story about something, and the young trainer wouldn't even look him in the face, just 'yeah yeah ok shut up' attitude with him. As they got started, the old man asked something, and the trainer just irritably nodding him away without looking at him, giving him a hurried unsatisfactory answer to his question.

Those are examples of strangers in public places, but it happens in the workplace too among colleagues. A lot of 20-30 year olds, and a smattering of 50-60 year olds where i work. They obviously talk among themselves, what they've been up to, socialize at work and after work, but they dismiss the old people, they don't look at them, go up to them to say hi how was your weekend, they don't involve them in anything at work or after work, they sit alone at rhe cafeteria being dismissed. I go out of my way to socialize with them too, to ask them what they got up to on the weekend, share stories and jokes with them, sit with them too. I'll harmlessly flirt a little with the old women, little compliments that they appreciate because they're used to being thought of as unappealing or over the hill.

But also in the workplace i see it with meetings and team huddles, ideas or feedback being sought from the managers (30-40 yo), they don't ask the old people, or they dismiss their ideas while they fawn over the ideas of those younger.

Basically, growing old sucks. You are no longer appealing to the opposite sex per se, if you're unmarried or divorced and still looking. You are no longer appealing as a potential new friend or acquaintance either. You have meant to have lived your life already, and now you are outside the radar of people currently living their lives. You had your time going out, meeting new people, making new or lifelong friends, sowed your seed, got married, had kids, whatever, and now you're supposed to just shuffle off and die. The world is for the young.....they have dreams to aspire to, they have seeds to sow and friends to make and trends to create.

But what if you're old and still want to live and make new experiences with people of all ages? What if you're old by age number but still youthful in looks and physical ability? They can spot you're a little "too old" for their friendship or romance, or you tell them your age and their jaw drops because they thought you were 20 years younger, so now they shun you, can't reconcile with that. A 50 yo man asks a 25 yo co-worker if he wants to go have a beer with him, nah, that's creepy, or what for? There's nothing in it for the young guy. But another 25 yo asks him, sure let's go.

As Rob Zombie wrote in a song...."I want more life, mother*er, I ain't done".... that's kind of my perception here with this topic. If you're old, or, old by age but still youthful, and you still want to live and have experiences like a young person, like when you were younger, but you're not "allowed" to, you're being pushed off to the glue factory by other people, strangers in public places or colleagues at work. And/or you start seeing yourself age in the mirror, all those signs of old age, no longer appealing to look at, and/or, your health slipping badly, closer to death than birth.....all that is just very sad really. Depressing to grow old, to be an old person. Especially too if you're unhappy with your life, didn't get to fulfill your dreams or fully experience life when younger and still have the thirst to live, to make up for it later.

I guess it could be simpler said.... it's just mid-life crisis. Deal with it. Or like TISM wrote, "forty years then death". A use-by date. Facts of life.

But behind that simplification is a myriad of deep cuts. The mortality and inconsequentiality of it all.

About how little instantaneous moments in childhood/adolescence, or making one wrong decision, or one mere accident, can cruel your life forever. Or about how much of a "sip it and spit it out" commodity a person is to others. Or about the torture-like aspect of being very sexual/romantic to that 20-30 age range that you still kinda visually/physically/mentally fit in, but starting to slip out from, having to "let go" or give up against your will. Or about starting late in life and being well behind others your age. Or about being alone in the world and the realization of one day being of poor health and/or financial status that who will look after you? Rotting away in a nursing home or a beggar on the street. Or about how so much depends on your younger (but stupid) years. About how invincible you feel with a million years ahead of you and how quickly it all passes by almost overnight, or dead too soon. About how ostracized or even discriminated against old people are when it comes to trying to make a living or start a life or a new page. There are exceptions, but generally, the multitude are at a grave disadvantage. Or about how it's all just about money, with or without is the versus at the heart of it all. Or about how a person can go from stable and happy-go-lucky one day to permanently distraught the next. Or from having a reason to live and looking forward to tomorrow to suddenly feeling there's no reason to live and wanting no today, all in the span of a week/month/year it took to cross a use-by date.

My grandfather was dignified up until the end. Loved working in the garden and vineyard, loved rolling his own smokes, and having a gigantic glass of beer on the porch. He listened to classic Bosnian folk music. Always dressed classy. Was respected and loved in our small town. Didn't lower himself to village gossip. Was a devout Muslim but shared holidays and feasts with his life-time friends of the Catholic and Orthodox Christian faith. Sadly 70 years of smoking took it's toll.

The quiet dignity of these types of old folk is what I love.

Most old people I see today just spend their time posting racist s**t on social media.
Or asking "did anyone hear that helicopter?" on community fb groups.

I like the way old people want to make paying at the cash register a major event

1) get to the register and want to have a chat
2) wait until all the goods are in bags and the total presented
3) then start looking for their purse or wallet
4) start pulling out coins.........one..........two.........ah this is a nice one......three

Well that's how I do it anyway

I like the way old people want to make paying at the cash register a major event

1) get to the register and want to have a chat
2) wait until all the goods are in bags and the total presented
3) then start looking for their purse or wallet
4) start pulling out coins.........one..........two.........ah this is a nice one......three

Well that's how I do it anyway

If they use eftpos it's like they have never used it before and have to get the checkout worker there to explain it to them and guide them through it.

If they use eftpos it's like they have never used it before and have to get the checkout worker there to explain it to them and guide them through it.

I remember once helping an elderly couple withdraw money from an ATM.:think:

It only occurred to me afterwards, they may have been running a scam, where I am withdrawing money from a stolen credit card and its all on camera.:$

Old people dont mind their own business. They always have something to say about your appearance, what you're doing, how you should be doing something etc. Its actually bloody annoying. I'm talking about the elderly like 80+.

As for 50 year olds, thats not even old these days.

Old people dont mind their own business. They always have something to say about your appearance, what you're doing, how you should be doing something etc. Its actually bloody annoying. I'm talking about the elderly like 80+.

As for 50 year olds, thats not even old these days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

fail old man GIF

If you're not investing heavily in companies/real estate that caters to old people then you're missing out on easy money over the next 10-20 years.

In terms of real estate, anything on a Golf Course will easily net you big money if you hold it for a few years. For shares I've invested heavily in tech that allows family to feel like they're actually looking after their parents without having to physically be anywhere near them (monitoring systems, live diagnosis, foreign cheap labour etc etc).

I don't think movie stars are a good general representation. All those in the current category have the best clothes, make up, dieticians, trainers etc. to get them looking like that. That said if you're doing a then and now from 50 years ago:
Current 50 year olds generally face's aren't as 'old' due to less smoking and less outdoor work.
Current 50 year olds bodies look / are more unfit due to obesity a rarity 50 years ago and many (males) doing manual labour.

Gough has it right, that people's default mental picture of themselves is of 21 (+/- a few years). I'm cracking 50 in September and mentally I picture myself as I was when at Uni, until I stop to think about it. I do wonder though whether this is affected by how much people have let themselves go from how they looked at their mental default age? We (most of us) aren't looking at ourselves in a mirror most of the time, but your arms, midsection and legs you're seeing (even if just at the edges of your vision) countless times a day. If you've 'gone soft' do you pull yourself up and go 'wait is that me?' regularly? I've only changed from skinny to lean (from the gym), so I can still wear the same size clothes, so my 'reality' distortion, if any, is going the other way of mentally imagining myself early 20's not looking like I needed to hit the gym and eat more.

Those who've succumbed to the middle aged spread, do you take a mental 'woah' regularly or have you 'retrofitted' your younger self in your mind to be more like your current one?

I don't think movie stars are a good general representation. All those in the current category have the best clothes, make up, dieticians, trainers etc. to get them looking like that. That said if you're doing a then and now from 50 years ago:
Current 50 year olds generally face's aren't as 'old' due to less smoking and less outdoor work.
Current 50 year olds bodies look / are more unfit due to obesity a rarity 50 years ago and many (males) doing manual labour.
I never said they were.

However, if you look at the article, it is comparing ONLY "movie stars" from different era's.

So the comparison holds true to some extent. Now sure there is major wealth divide when you compare them when you delve deeper, even adjusted for their time, the fact remains its a rather startling comparison.

I never said they were.

However, if you look at the article, it is comparing ONLY "movie stars" from different era's.

So the comparison holds true to some extent. Now sure there is major wealth divide when you compare them when you delve deeper, even adjusted for their time, the fact remains its a rather startling comparison.
It's generally comparing movie stars from now with TV stars from an earlier era. With it those who generally considered good looking (duh) stars of now, with a bunch of people playing 'every day man/woman' roles. It's not like they were putting up Carey Grant or Humphrey Bogart at 50 as 'then and now'. I'm in agreement that 'from the shoulders up' 50 today generally looks better than 50 from 40/50/60 years ago, but that was hardly an apples to apples comparison.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back