News GWS GIANTS VS NT Thunder TIO Stadium, Darwin Saturday July 2, 7.00pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Top line 21 year old athlete picks up sport with intensive personalised coaching. I'll call Ripley's. Seriously though, I wouldn't say he's mastered it yet. He's doing well in a fourth rate competition. Kieran Jack could probably go and play the equivalent level of League inside a year, however I don't think anyone would be stupid enough to say he'd mastered the sport.

Can you run a marathon?

Rugby players/fans can't run......well not atleast taking triple the time of the average person

Can I run a marathon? Of course, anyone can - it just requires commitment and training (like AFL). Because AFL has become so soft, it is not difficult for athletes to pick up (Iam surprised at the apparant lack of skill). In the reverse when Izzy and Hunt come back to League they are going to find the physicality very difficult to adjust to. I imagine injury will be a big part of their comeback.

I feel you devalue any arguments you make by not applying the same parameters at both ends of the spectrum. I also find it a bit strange that you discuss how obviously easy the skills in Australian football are to pick up (though the skills of any sport are easy to pick up, infinitely moreso if you have intensive, personalised training from a team dedicated to it.) yet fall back to pointing out how much more physical League is.

Can I run a marathon? Of course, anyone can - it just requires commitment and training (like AFL). Because AFL has become so soft, it is not difficult for athletes to pick up (Iam surprised at the apparant lack of skill). In the reverse when Izzy and Hunt come back to League they are going to find the physicality very difficult to adjust to. I imagine injury will be a big part of their comeback.

Please tell Alan Toovey and Jordan Lewis that they are soft, that the game they play lacks physicality. Stop being ignorant.

Most Rugby League collisions occur at half speed from opponents that you can see and prepare for. The speed of the hit is every bit as important as the size of the players who make contact, a fact that often seems to be ignored by many in the northern states. Put it this way I'd prefer to be tackled front on by a pair of rugby league players than to run back with the flight of the ball and be collected by a flying Tom Hawkins knee that I never even saw. And funnily enough so would you.

There's so many holes in your statement it's not funny. Im not gunna even bother argue with an idiot. You simple simpley don't get common sence.

Seriously if you want to watch other males get physical with each other so much, I reccomend going to Mardi Gras.

Hey GiantForce, easup!! I may have stumped you with logic - but no need to get homophobic. That is disgusting and you should be sanctioned. Especially as the terrific gay community make up such as valuable component of the Swans fan base.
Hey look guys, dont get so touchie. The game seems soft, old school VFL players would be the first to agree with me (as do mothers who want there boys to play the softr sport). Even your fights seem feminin. That is not to say there are not occasional unexected accidents (such as a knee to the head).
AFL is a test of endurance - as fatigue is such a big part of it, the terrible ball control is forgiven. Leading to the seagull fighting over a chip effect. The inacurracy of the kicking which requires the addition of minor point goals - unique to VFL - is also a sign of the endurance sport that it is.
League is gladiatorial, violent, fast (mums are weary).

I'd say there'd be a number of factors to what you've called the seagull effect. primarily, most skills are executed in a contest, with an opponent in direct competition. There are no 10 metre gaps enforced and most skills are frequently done whilst being actively spoiled or harried.

Secondly the ball is a heavier leather ball which is harder to control than the grip covered league ball. I DO believe, however that Auskick participants still use grip on their footies.

Thirdly, the passing is usually more varied in the distance and positioning of team mates than in league. Where, with some variations, a pass in League takes place over 5-10 metres to a team mate either side, a disposal in Australian Rules can be a 2m clearance or 40m kick to advantage.

Hey GiantForce, easup!! I may have stumped you with logic - but no need to get homophobic. That is disgusting and you should be sanctioned. Especially as the terrific gay community make up such as valuable component of the Swans fan base.
Hey look guys, dont get so touchie. The game seems soft, old school VFL players would be the first to agree with me (as do mothers who want there boys to play the softr sport). Even your fights seem feminin. That is not to say there are not occasional unexected accidents (such as a knee to the head).
AFL is a test of endurance - as fatigue is such a big part of it, the terrible ball control is forgiven. Leading to the seagull fighting over a chip effect. The inacurracy of the kicking which requires the addition of minor point goals - unique to VFL - is also a sign of the endurance sport that it is.

Ever heard of a joke? Yes I meant that seriously (Extreme Sarcasm)

Logic? You're whole arguement has no logic. You're just assuming everything. Come back to me when you've actually played a game of Australian Football (Don't BS like you used to play or something, we all know you're some troll from some silly Rugby forum. Why not go back there instead of making yourself look even for silly here)

Fast my arse. Most Rugby players are some of the slowest sportsman on the planet. And if you're into this whole violent/agressive/physical thing then go watch UFC or WWE or whatever it's called. You don't need a ball for your sport. RL is just an excuse for a bunch of thugs who won't the chance to hit people. RL is a game for Thugs (Majority of the fanbase are thugs and majority of the players are thugs).

Now I should stop wasting any more of my time, you RL people simple don't get common sence. No point in arguing with you RL people because you are just so ignorant and one eyed it's not funny
------
Back on Topic, no more of this RL V AFL debate, AFL has been proven the winner thousands of times in thousands of places.

Did anyone actually know what the crowd was. Seemed like there was a decent crowd for afterall, a NEAFL game. 3K possbiley?

is this the worst post to ever appear on bigfooty? I think it maybe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very excited about Folau's progress to date - he is one of the most accurate kickers I have seen, is a very good mark, and is learning to read the play well. I think after a full AFL pre-season, he will be a real weapon for us come next year :thumbsu:

I can certainly relate to his recent media comments that he is enjoying being more physically fit, leaner and faster than his league days. Now that he's getting amongst the scoring a lot more, I think he understands his role in and importance to the team better. He is a natural scorer, whatever sport he plays, so was always going to be most happy where he could be racking up points on the scoreboard for his team. He might not get best on ground every week, but he certainly contributes strongly on the scoreboard every week.

I think he will be beaten by most good AFL level defenders at the moment, but having said that I can't see the future as to how he'll go next year. I also suspect we'd be better off running him as the second or third tall in which case he could expose quite a few teams for depth in tall defenders.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back