Society & Culture Halloween

Remove this Banner Ad

In America it's more understood and accepted that on and only Halloween you go door knocking and ask people for food. In Australia I don't think people new to the "tradition" that it is or able to differentiate.

I would love for it to be as big as it is in America.

I don't see the problem in adopting the tradition, since I don't think it actually has actual American roots as Thanksgiving does (maybe I'm wrong here, I don't know the history of Halloween).

It was either last year of the year before that, when a number of kids in pairs flooded our doorstep.

After pretending to look for choc/lollies, 2mins later, I'd come back to the front with just sakatas.

Funnily enough, haven't got a knock thus far into the night. What a shame :rainbow:

It was either last year of the year before that, when a number of kids in pairs flooded our doorstep.

After pretending to look for choc/lollies, 2mins later, I'd come back to the front with just sakatas.

Funnily enough, haven't got a knock thus far into the night. What a shame :rainbow:
I gave some kids cigarettes one year when I was living in England. Little bastards must have told their mates because I was up and down like a whore's drawers for the rest of the evening.

Re-tell the story!

Haha, basically my dad was home alone and we'd all forgotten that it was Halloween that day, so we didn't have any lollies/chocolates in the house. When he answered the door he told the kids he'd go and find something and returned with some muesli bars. I don't think they were overly impressed :p I'm sure the lack of trick or treaters has more to do with the lack of kids in our neighbourhood, but we have teased him ever since for blacklisting our house.

So awkward, didn't even realise it was Halloween tonight and I gave the kids at the front door the most dumbfounded look in my slightly stoned halfway through a huge assignment state, their mother quickly dragged them away after I mumbled something inappropriate like "Oh s**t is it Halloween today?" :(

I would love for it to be as big as it is in America.

I don't see the problem in adopting the tradition, since I don't think it actually has actual American roots as Thanksgiving does (maybe I'm wrong here, I don't know the history of Halloween).

Pretty sure Halloween is actually a tradition that originated from Scandinavian folklore and was introduced by emigrants settling in America. They've certainly adopted it and turned it into something unique and ingrained it into popular culture. It seems to get bigger here every year.

I'm fine with it. We have been to the USA a few times and experienced the 'real deal'. We have also brought back some pretty cool decorations and usually put them up, but our son is away on camp and we are going out tonight, so haven't bothered.

As I have posted on another thread, it's no different to adopting other cultures. We don't celebrate a "white Christmas", but we embrace it just as much as our nothern hemisphere friends. We don't question the Coca Cola red and white origins of Santa.

Many of us have been to Oktoberfest 'Aussie style' and never questioned it. We also celebrate St Patrick's Day with the vigour of any Irishman. Then there's Chinese New Year which seems to get bigger and better every year in Perth.

I'm all for embracing any of the different fun cultures of other countries, as long as they are good, clean fun.

Would be embarrassed if I had to walk around with my (fictional) kids while they trick or treat - it's an American thing.

Nonetheless, we still have a bowl of lollies for those that come to our door (some just turned up then).
Do you wear green on March 17? :)

QTUucyv.jpg

Sums up my thoughts pretty well.

But Batman is from Gotham City (New York), so he's American... ::slap::

I never have anything ready for it, like igloo I ignore the door most of the arvo.

in saying that I'd have no issues if it was more of an opt in thing (decorated house = lollies, no decorations = don't even bother)

Do you wear green on March 17? :)

I would say St Pattys is bigger in Aus than Halloween. A lot of people seem to wear green.

I don't think its wrong to give the kids some lollies and I also don't think it's wrong to choose to ignore them.

I would say St Pattys is bigger in Aus than Halloween. A lot of people seem to wear green.

I don't think its wrong to give the kids some lollies and I also don't think it's wrong to choose to ignore them.
but all of these traditions have been introduced in to our culture, which is evolving all the time. I don't remember Chinese New Year as a kid, but I love it now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

but all of these traditions have been introduced in to our culture, which is evolving all the time. I don't remember Chinese New Year as a kid, but I love it now.

I remember Chinese New Year and St Pattys when I was in primary school (22 now).

St Patrick's day is huge here due to the amount of people we have in Australia with Irish heritage. Similarly, Chinese New Year is popular due to the large numbers of Chinese people we have.

Funny world. Many of us probably have relatives who probably participated in this 'American' s**t back in Ireland and Scotland once upon a time. Many of us probably all know someone who hates this 'American' s**t but can't wait for St Patrick's Day. Can't get my head around it.

I spent one Halloween in LA and it was awesome. A really different level over there, if we could mirror that id welcome it here

Problem is we have a less than half assed version with just fat parents walking their kids around at 5:30 in the sunlight looking for Mars bars

The only thing worse than that are the people who feel the need to complain about it and America

We also seem to only want the party and not the scares which also annoys me

Halloween is the evening before All Saints' Day (Nov 1) and All Souls' Day (Nov 2), and was apparently a day when you were supposed to remember/"celebrate" the dead.
I thought it marked the onset of winter, the darker months with less light, hence the reference to all things dark.

Winter in the nth hemisphere..

Don't have any problem with it for the kids. If nothing else, it encourages young children to familiarise themselves with their neighbourhood and their neighbours in a pretty friendly, nonthreatening environment.

Do have a problem with people my age and older (late 20s) deciding it's an excuse to relive their glory days of university dress-up parties. A decrease in the number of idiotic theme events is supposed to be one of the few advantages of getting older.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back