Hampden Football League

Remove this Banner Ad

ringo1

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 30, 2006
Williamstown/Echuca
AFL Club
Collingwood
Guys I'm getting lonely down here. We live in an area with a great league yet there are no posts/threads about our league. Does anyone have any info about what is on the go?

not sure having not seen a hampden league game for 3 years, but i don't think you couldn't go past Terang and Koriot and warrnambool seem to be shaping up reasonably well.

who do you play with or associated with

Ratley have'nt played for a while and have no association with anyone.Will get back an involvement one day. See Marcus Picken is going to Cobden and should be handy for them.

For such a good league this thread doesn't have much action. I've been looking on the Standard website daily but i haven't found anything writen about Kurt Nicklaus returning to Warrnambool.
This bloke is a gun, one of the best defenders in country vic and top bloke (albeit a bit of a loose dude).

Also, Sth Warrnambool have picked up a handy ruckman from La Trobe in the Ammos, Dave McMekan (spelling??). He's teaching out at a Timboon or something like that. The Hampden will be a step up but from what I've heard he'll be up to it.

Looking further afield it was covered by the Border Mail at the time of the news breaking.

Major setback for Hoppers
By David Johnston
February 10, 2006

KURT Nicklaus has quit North Albury without playing a match for the Hoppers in the Ovens and Murray league.
The Hoppers secured Nicklaus from WAFL club Perth where he played alongside Daniel Leslie last year.
But, the talented mid-fielder has accepted an attractive employment option in his former hometown of Warrnambool and will play in the Hampden league this season.
"It's very disappointing to be honest," Hoppers coach Corey Lambert said yesterday.
"When you get a bloke who is going to fill a role for you, get him all signed up, living here and then comes to you and says he has got work opportunities somewhere else he can't knock back it's disappointing.
"Moreso for the fact it's so late we are not going to get one to replace him.
"It's frustrating and disappointing."
Lambert informed the Hoppers playing group at training on Wednesday night one of the club's most sought after recruits would not be lining up at Bunton Park.
The Hoppers coach said Nicklaus' former employer at Warrnambool had offered him a role which would not be available at the end of the season.
Nicklaus finished fourth in Perth's best and fairest last season when he was used in a variety of key position roles, but the Hoppers recruited him to play as ruck rover.
In another potential major setback for the Hoppers, No.1 ruckman Sam Nevins has accepted a second round university placement in Melbourne and may not travel back to play in the O and M.
Albury recruit Daniel Maher also played at Perth last year.
Lambert said Nicklaus had relocated from Western Australia late last year and appeared settled.
"He was the one we wanted," he said.
"He came away on our camp and had a fantastic time and got on wonderfully well with all the boys.
"He is a top fellow and he feels a bit embarrassed the way things have gone.
"But, he told me he just can't knock this opportunity back."
The Hoppers have added small forward Ash Bates, who coached Quambatook in the Golden Rivers league last year.
Lambert revealed the Hoppers were among four O and M clubs to make inquiries about Japanese players Michito Sakaki and Tsuyoshi Kase, but didn't plan to pursue the possibility of the duo playing at Bunton Park.
Also showing an interest in their talents were Wodonga, Wodonga Raiders and Albury.

journeyman said:
For such a good league this thread doesn't have much action. I've been looking on the Standard website daily but i haven't found anything writen about Kurt Nicklaus returning to Warrnambool.
This bloke is a gun, one of the best defenders in country vic and top bloke (albeit a bit of a loose dude).

Also, Sth Warrnambool have picked up a handy ruckman from La Trobe in the Ammos, Dave McMekan (spelling??). He's teaching out at a Timboon or something like that. The Hampden will be a step up but from what I've heard he'll be up to it.

His brother sponge also a top bloke. Is he still in the bool.

Interesting story about the appointment of the Hampden FNL interleague coach. One of his brothers is Brian who is coaching Horsham United in the Wimmera FL this season. The other brother is Brad who has been playing for Korooit and is mentioned in this story as an assistant yet is also supposed to be getting a clearance back to United. He's going to be a busy boy.

From The Warrnambool Standard:

HIGH HOPES
By ELIZA SEWELL
March 8, 2006

NEW Hampden interleague coach David Cassidy has earmarked a return to the glory days of division one football as his main aim in the job.

Cassidy was announced as the Hampden Football Netball League interleague coach yesterday for the May 28 country championship clash with Mornington Peninsula Nepean Football League.

In a one-off game, which will decide the pool B champion, Cassidy said the plan was to raise the league to the elite competition.

"I think the main part is we've got to aim to be in division one,'' Cassidy said. "From a Hampden league point of view that's the ultimate goal.

"It's a one-off game so at the end of the day the winning team goes up to division one.

"It is a challenge but an exciting challenge.''

And if any one can turn the side around it's Cassidy.

The coach famously lifted Warrnambool and District side Merrivale from wooden spooner to premier in one season.

Cassidy played in four premierships in a row under St Kilda coach Grant Thomas with Warrnambool. He gained interleague experience when he coached Warrnambool district's combined side in 1994.

However, he insisted he would not be a regulation coach with his role more about mentoring personalities.

"I don't really see myself as the coach as such,'' Cassidy said.

"These players - the best players - in the league will be coached by their coaches.

"They'll be taught their skills by their coaches and they'll be given fitness (management) by their coaches.

"It's people management I suppose and that's the way I'm looking at it.

"(It's) not necessarily coaching - it's just managing the players we've got a hold of.''
Cassidy will not be going it alone.

He will be supported by Mark Dwyer, his brother Brad Cassidy and Stephen Hammond who will be his assistants.

Cassidy said he hoped the new one-match format would make playing for the league more attractive to key players.

"It's a one-off game,'' Cassidy said.

"A few years ago there were probably three games.

"I just think it will create a lot more interest.''

The job will be a fast and furious 12-week stint for Cassidy who is returning to football after two years on the bench.

Cassidy said he had more than 40 players in mind already to be chosen for the initial squad. The squad would be announced as early as the second round of the season, he said. "We'll play form players and that's something that I've always
strived to do,'' Cassidy said.

This story was found at: http://the.standard.net.au/articles/2006/03/08/1141701540486.html

From a Geelong FL perspective, Camperdown have picked up some good players in Torin Baker, Russell Whiteford and Jeremy Larkham! Baker and Whiteford are outstanding midfielders and Larkham is a young ruckman with good size and aggression.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our boys may find it hard to beat the MPFL but as Whispers has alluded to the word from Camperdown is that these three guys can play. Hopefully they will add depth to the squad. It would be great to see us back in div 1.,We have lost a bit of profile recently with Colac going etc. Perhaps the downers will be hard to beat.

Charity match fall clips Magpie's wings

March 13, 2006

CAMPERDOWN'S Troy Stephens will spend eight weeks in plaster after breaking his leg during a practice match at Leura Oval on Friday night.

Stephens, a Victorian country representative, was playing his first game since 2004 and was anticipated to be a key part of the Magpies' season.

The 28-year-old landed awkwardly after a marking contest and limped from the field.

"I thought I'd just rolled my ankle," Stephens said.

The Camperdown butcher, who has captained the Magpies and featured as an assistant coach in the past, broke his fibula near his ankle and said it was the first serious injury he had had during his career.

He will see a doctor on Wednesday to reassess the injury and hopes for good news.

"I'll be keen to get back but I can't really afford to get another injury with work,'' he said. ``I'll just see what happens after the plaster is off.''

Camperdown president Peter Conheady said the club was thrilled when Stephens returned to football after travelling last year. And while the injury was a setback, Conheady hoped to have his charge back before the end of the season.

"Naturally it was disappointing,'' Conheady said.

"He was very keen to get back playing footy.

"I'm sure he will recover from the injury.

"We hope to have him back this year.'' Camperdown went down to Cobden in the charity practice match which was played over five quarters. The match raised more than $5000 for 10-year-old Jarrod Fryers who has cerebral palsy.

His parents Gary and Louise need to raise about $32,000 to modify their car to enable Jarrod's wheelchair to be rolled in.

"Stephens' injury was a negative but the money we raised for Jarrod was a real positive,'' Conheady said.

This story was found at: http://the.standard.net.au/articles/2006/03/13/1142098374662.html

From the Warrnambool Standard:

HFNL moves aren't all black and White
By GREG GLIDDON
March 17, 2006

THE fate of reluctant South Warrnambool ruckman Tom White dominates pre-season speculation in the Hampden Football Netball League.

With the season kicking off on April 1, South and reigning premier Terang Mortlake are locked in a tug-of-war for White's considerable talents.

The Roosters have rejected his clearance application to the Bloods, with negotiations understood to be continuing between the two clubs.

With two weeks to go before the season gets under way some other big names are still working through the finer details of deals which will see them move on.

South has already picked up a few recruits in its bid to become a top three contender this year and would be keen to keep White on the roster.

Its signings include Shannon Carter and Brad Umbers from Dennington and Isaac Hughson from Old Collegians.

The Bloods will head into another premiership defence without popular midfield star Danny Stone, who has headed off to the Northern Bullants in the VFL.

Also, Lex Moloney has headed overseas while Matthew Heffernan has already joined Koroit.

On the plus side for the Bloods is the return of ruckman Darren Little to help out youngster Tim Ward.

Should White earn a clearance, then the Bloods rucking division suddenly looks to be the most powerful in the competition.

Camperdown will be bolstered with the inclusions of midfield dynamo Torin Baker as senior coach and the return of Troy Stephens, although Stephens will miss the first half of the year after breaking his leg in a trial game.

The Magpies have lost some experience with David Mills and Simon Tolland transferring to Kolora-Noorat, while brothers Andrew and Matthew Rylance are heading to the Timboon Demons.

Cobden won the race for former AFL player Marcus Picken as its senior coach, but has lost Wayne Robertson to Irrewarra-Beeac and Daniel Beard and Anthony Reed to Kolora-Noorat.

North Warrnambool Eagles will welcome the return of Liam Ryan from a year at Uni Blues, while Matthew Jellie is also back from overseas.

The other big inclusion is the return of key position utility Ricky Smedts, who was set to join his brother Kalon at Labrador in Queensland but has returned home.

Port Fairy's star power has been diminished with the loss of Ronnie Burns and John McNamara, while Sam Fary, Luke Tennant and Andrew Sharp have also departed.

Koroit has followed the path of Terang Mortlake's successful 2005 recruiting campaign by looking towards the Warrnambool and District league for its additions. East Warrnambool's Ben Quarrell, Deakin University pair Brett Carey and Brett Waterson, former Shark Joe Woonton, Dennington's Justin Lynch and Merrivale's Nathan McInerney have crossed to Victoria Park.

The Saints would expect to figure prominently towards the end of the year despite the loss of Jason Mifsud (St Kilda), Peter McDonald (retirement), Nick Standaar and Caleb Isles (Maroochydore) and Shane Bell to Dennington.

Warrnambool is expected to be the big improver after strengthening its personnel.

Grant McCarthy is back, along with Kurt Niklaus and Drew McCaskill. It has also secured Dustin McCorkell from Geelong West St Peters and Denver Artz from Hampton Rovers. Brad Sullivan is another who could be back with the Blues after a fruitless season with North Warrnambool Eagles. He has put in a clearance.

This story was found at: http://the.standard.net.au/articles/2006/03/17/1142098636738.html

See Warrnambool are not charging ground entry this season. They are attempting to attract more people to the football. Although it sounds radical if they get more people to the footy they might pick up more members,bar takings and juniors.Sounds like a win-win to me and great for the supporters in the Hampden league:thumbsu:

Bold initiative by Warrnambool but of course it helps if you have a huge pokies venue inside the confines of Reid Oval. Let them in for free and encourage them to visit the pokes while there.

FREE FOOTY PLAN
By GREG GLIDDON
March 29, 2006

WARRNAMBOOL Football Club will throw open its gates to spectators this season free of charge in an initiative designed to get fans back to games.

The Blues' nine home games at Reid Oval, beginning with Saturday's opening round clash of the Hampden Football Netball League season against Camperdown, will be free to fans.

The move, which has been discussed by the club's board for the past two years, was officially given the go-ahead at a league meeting on Monday night.

The club's football chairman Allan Robb said the decision had been based on both club finances and as a way of getting people back to the club.

''As a financial decision, the money we were getting from gate takings was barely enough to cover the cost of the security and gatekeepers that are employed at the ground.

''The most important thing is that we believe we need to get people back to the footy and the netball and we believe this is a way we can achieve that.''

Mr Robb said the club hoped to encourage new faces to come and watch both football and netball on weekends.

''What we are hoping is that we will get young boys and girls to come to the footy,'' he said. ''It may end up costing us a few dollars at the end, but we think the club will be better off in the future.''

Free entry could have ramifications for neighbouring Hampden clubs such as South Warrnambool and North Warrnambool Eagles which will remain with the standard $10 an adult entry fee for the season.

However, Mr Robb said he hoped the flow-on effect would benefit other sides for return matches throughout the year.

He said the move had been generally well accepted when announced to clubs on Monday night.

Mr Robb said the club would review finances at the end of the season to see whether the experiment had been successful before committing to the policy permanently.

An entry fee will remain for the Hampden finals which are played at Reid Oval.

Hampden president Alan Rourke said he applauded the club's decision as a way of bringing people back to the game. Camperdown supporters will be the first to benefit from the free entry when the Blues and the Magpies square off on Saturday.

''Whilst Camperdown and I'm sure most other clubs need to find every source of revenue just to survive, I understand that Warrnambool's situation is unique,'' Camperdown president Peter Conheady said.

''It's not my position to judge what's best for another club.

''But I'm sure that any Camperdown supporters who arrive at the gate on Saturday will be delighted that there is no $10 entry fee.''

Reid Oval co-tenant, Warrnambool and District Football Netball League club East Warrnambool, will continue to charge an entry fee for its home games.

Yesterday the Bombers said they had no plans for a similar arrangement this year or in the foreseeable future.

''We'll still be charging at the gate,'' East club spokesman Robin Konigson said.

''We don't employ security, so we do have a big reliance on our gate takings.''

This story was found at: http://the.standard.net.au/articles/2006/03/29/1143441185659.html

:thumbsu: Grimmet, I agree. Players have to pay to get in and they put the show on. I think 5$ is more than enough and kids should be free. Perhaps a gold coin donation could be suffice? Then the punters have money to put over the bar, canteen etc

No footy appeals lodged
By GREG GLIDDON
March 31, 2006

As of late yesterday afternoon, Hampden region clubs had not placed any appeals in relation to clearances for the opening round of the season which begins tomorrow.

Hampden league president Alan Rourke, who is handling the appeals process, said he had been surprised that no clubs had requested an appeal at this late stage.

''I'm handling the entire Hampden region and I haven't received one appeal as yet, not one,'' he said.

The lack of action means players like Hampden ruckman Tom White, who hopes to gain a clearance to join Terang Mortlake, will be forced to sit out this weekend unless he was to gain a clearance today.

White was unlikely to play in the first match anyway as he is still recovering from ankle ligament damage sustained in a basketball mishap.

Meanwhile, Warrnambool will be relieved to know that it has secured key forward Brad Sullivan after his third clearance from North Warrnambool Eagles back to the Blues was approved on Wednesday.

Camperdown was also given a boost yesterday when the clearance for Grovedale's Jeremy Larcombe was finally sealed meaning the talented player can line up for the Magpies against the Blues tomorrow.

This story was found at: http://the.standard.net.au/articles/2006/03/31/1143441307699.html

Nifty78 said:
Can anyone tell how Drew McCaskill is going at Warrnambool !
Looking very good. Training the house down. Going to be a great recruit for us this year. Is this you Nifty, the big bloke who would apparantley stop 'for sure' at a buffet?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back