Senior Harris Andrews (2014-) (Co-Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

Lions wary of prowling Tigers ahead of blockbuster battle

bANq0dEU.jpg

RICHMOND might be sitting outside the top eight and has a few new faces, but Brisbane co-captain Harris Andrews says the Lions still hold the triple premiers in the highest regard.

The Tigers won 15 straight times from 2010 before Brisbane finally broke the streak in the 2020 qualifying final.

Since then, the teams have duked out some gripping duels, including twice in the final months of 2022.

In round 20 at the MCG, Richmond stormed back from a seven-goal deficit to overrun the Lions, before Chris Fagan's men got their revenge with a see-sawing two-point victory in an elimination final in which the lead swapped hands 17 times.

Ahead of Thursday night's crucial contest at the Gabba, Andrews said the third-placed Lions were on high alert.

"They're a sensational team, they've got so many premiership players in there," Andrews said.

"They had the wood over us for a very long period of time. Over the last three years we've probably evened the ledger a little bit, had as many wins as losses against them.

"They're still playing the same way they have in recent years, the way they like to knock the ball on and get the ball going forward.

"When the ball is at ground level, they're extremely dangerous, guys like Shai Bolton and Dustin Martin … their ability to move the ball from end to end really quickly."

Andrews said Brisbane's team defence in last Friday night's win over St Kilda, in which it restricted the Saints to eight goals from 43 inside 50s, was a good blueprint to face the Tigers.

3ZCLzCX8.jpg

He said it was important to bring the "same energy" against a Richmond team that won three consecutive matches before its bye.

Some of that energy in Brisbane's past two wins has come from its younger players, with Jaspa Fletcher, Will Ashcroft and Darcy Wilmot all having major impacts.

Former captain Dayne Zorko will have to recover well from Tuesday's main training session to be available, putting the position of four-gamer Kai Lohmann under pressure.

Andrews said the first- and second-year inclusions had come at the right time.

"It's really exciting to see them play," he said.

"Fletch, two weeks ago against the Swans, really ignited us as a group. There were a few things on the weekend (that did the same), going back with the flight in our defensive 50 and taking marks.

"We absolutely love having those young guys in, they've all got really promising careers going forward."

Six things we learned: Crow's revival could land a Coleman

4) Don't forget Harris Andrews in the AA race

Harris Andrews reminded the All-Australian selectors that he's their man at full-back with 21 disposals, including 14 intercept possessions and 14 marks with nine intercept marks, against St Kilda on Friday night. Andrews also had three score involvements, including the pass for Cam Rayner's steadying goal in the third term. The Brisbane co-captain, who was named in the All-Australian team in 2019 and 2020, simply wouldn't let the Saints exit their defensive half during the first half with an aerial dominance rarely seen. Andrews and Darcy Moore have been this season's key defensive standouts along with Callum Wilkie, Charlie Ballard and the now-injured Liam Jones. You'd think three of that group will get the nod in the AA team. – Ben Somerford

Brisbane Lions co-captain Harris Andrews carrying welcome ‘chip on shoulder’

The added responsibility of captaincy is helping Brisbane Lions star Harris Andrews recapture the form that made him one of the AFL’s best defenders.

Andrews was superb in Brisbane’s 28-point win over St Kilda at Marvel Stadium last Friday night.

His 21-disposal performance included nine intercept marks, one short of the AFL record.

“It was probably one of my better games I’ve had in my career,” Andrews said on Tuesday.

It was arguably Andrews’ best game since his All-Australian seasons of 2019 and 2020.

His form since then, while solid, hasn’t been as eye-catching.

However, the signs are there that the 26-year-old Lions academy product is returning to his previous heights.

And it’s perhaps no coincidence that his form surge has come after this year being appointed to the role of co-captain alongside team talisman Lachie Neale.

“I’m really enjoying the captaincy,” Andrews said.

“It certainly hasn’t changed anything I do on game day. I’m still that same bloke out on the field and still trying to lead the team in the right way … (but) maybe I walk around with a little bit more of a chip on my shoulder that I need to play well.

“I certainly haven’t changed anything from a preparation standpoint. Physically, I’m as good as I’ve been.

“I don’t know what all the (form and fitness) speculation was about, but it’s quite a tough role.”

ec90fe93be547ad96228712f3e3cf1ee

Andrews’ good form has also been aided the performances of Brisbane strongman Jack Payne, who has seemingly cemented his role in the Lions’ defensive unit.

“I feel like this year we’ve been able to build a really good connection. We’re able to complement each other,” he said.

“We’ve got different strains, which helps us play on the good forwards and key forwards of the league.

“To see his growth has been incredible. He’s continuing learning about the game and it’s been awesome to see that growth, to see the work that he’s put in on the field clearly but off the field as well, (with) the way he prepares and his mental application to get himself up each week to play on those really dangerous key forwards.”

The third-placed Lions will aim for a third successive win when they host Richmond at the Gabba on Thursday night.

The Tigers, who are coming off a bye, are chasing a fourth straight victory as they push to break into the top eight.

“It’s always a massive challenge against the Tigers – they’re a sensational team,” Andrews said.

“They’ve got so many premiership players in there. We’ve had some really good battles against them over the last couple of years.”

Andrews was hopeful that veteran Dayne Zorko, who has missed Brisbane’s past three matches, would return on Thursday night from a calf injury.

“He’ll have to get through a few things (at training) and we’ll wait to see what happens, but we certainly love having him in the team with the energy he brings to the contest,” Andrews said of the former Lions captain.

“Offensively he uses the ball as well as anyone, and defensively, he works hard and really complements our midfield mix.”

Lions Trio Nominated for AFLPA MVP

MVP: Josh Dunkley, Lachie Neale, Harris Andrews

Best Captain: Lachie Neale and Harris Andrews

Four Lions Named in All-Australian Squad

The Brisbane Lions have had four players named in the AFL's All-Australian squad of 44.

Co-Captains Lachie Neale and Harris Andrews headline the inclusions following their strong seasons, while Joe Daniher and Charlie Cameron have also been selected in the extended squad.

Harris Andrews stampeded home, scoring in every round from Round 13 onwards. He was the only player to do this. His Round 15 and 17 outings were absolute lessons in defensive dominance. He had 10+ one-percenters in 15 of his 23 games this season and notched four games where he achieved double-figures in both one-percenters and intercepts (Defensive Double-Double).

Powerful and commanding, he is the perfect player to be crowned the 2023 Mongrel Punt Defensive Player of the Year.

Congrats to the big fella – he held that Brisbane defence together when a heap of experts said they’d fall over. And that is something that anyone who knows footy acknowledges and appreciates.

The parents of Harris Andrews have made a VERY unique grand final trek

The parents of Brisbane Lions star Harris Andrews have made a VERY unique trip to Melbourne for the grand final.

Wayne and Wendy joined Breakfast with Harf on Thursday.

Four key pillars in Brisbane's rise from the scrapheap to the GF

Harris Andrews (2014)

No better place to start than the current co-captain.

Andrews was part of Brisbane's Academy, and a late bloomer. With his club (Aspley), the Academy and the Allies under-18 teams, Andrews played as a forward during his draft year.

That was until Allies coach Adrian Fletcher decided to throw him to centre half-back one day to help save a game. He clunked everything and the Lions were convinced.

At the time, opposition teams had to bid on northern Academy products prior to the trade period, with host teams only needing to match with their next available selection.

Liam Dawson was bid on by Richmond in the second round, which Brisbane matched, and then it was North Melbourne that bid on Andrews with their second-round pick.

However, with the Lions next selection not until No.61, that's all they needed to pay.

Brisbane had no idea the 202cm leader would turn into a two-time All-Australian, but in hindsight, this was a ridiculous steal.

Andrews Claims Merrett-Murray Medal to be Crowned Lion King for 2023

Merrett-Murray_Winner_Article_Header.jpg

Brisbane Lions Co-Captain Harris Andrews has claimed the Merrett-Murray Medal following a brilliant 2023 season.

Andrews was crowned the Lions Best and Fairest at the Club Champion Dinner at the Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre on Wednesday night.

The Lions leader claimed the medal with 62 votes ahead of fellow Co-Captain and 2023 Brownlow Medallist Lachie Neale (61) and Vice-Captain Hugh McCluggage (59) in third.

It is the first time Andrews, a two-time All-Australian, has taken out the prestigious award - with Neale (three) and former skipper Dayne Zorko (four) winning the last seven between them.

The defender experienced an impressive season for the Lions where he averaged 14.5 disposals with 85.9 per cent efficiency, eight marks, 3.5 intercept marks, 9.5 spoils and 3.5 rebound 50s.

The 26-year-old, in his first season as the Club’s Co-Captain showed no signs of his new leadership role hindering his performance in any way.

Andrews kept many of the opposition’s best forwards quiet through 2023, while also finding plenty of the ball himself which resulted in a career-best 369 disposals for the season.

One of his best matches came against St Kilda in Round 15 where the defender registered a career-best 18 kicks and took a career-best nine intercept marks - which was just two short of the AFL record for the most in a match.

The defender was also at his spoiling best in Round 22 when he recorded a season-best 17 spoils against the Crows.

Highlighting just how influential Andrews was for the Lions in 2023 is that he took out the Merrett-Murray Medal ahead of Neale, the 2023 Brownlow Medal winner.

Neale’s ball-winning brilliance was on display once again this year as he averaged 27.4 disposals with a 75.8 per cent disposal efficiency.

On top of that the three-time Merrett-Murray Medallist recorded an average of 13.9 contested possessions, 8.1 clearances, 3.5 centre clearances, 4.1 tackles and 3.6 inside 50s for the Lions.

After yet another super consistent campaign from McCluggage, the midfielder claimed his second consecutive top three finish by coming in third with 59 votes.

McCluggage, in his maiden season as the Lions Vice-Captain, got better as the year went on and continued to build on his form each week.

The 25-year-old had a day out against Richmond in Round 16 where he racked up a career-best 34 disposals, which only just out shadowed his impressive 30-disposals match against the Gold Coast Suns.

Merrett-Murray Medal – Top 10

Harris Andrews – 62
Lachie Neale – 61
Hugh McCluggage – 59
Josh Dunkley – 56
Cam Rayner – 53
Brandon Starcevich – 53
Charlie Cameron – 52
Joe Daniher – 52
Oscar McInerney – 50
Darcy Wilmot - 49

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane Lions Announce Updated Leadership Group

A resounding vote from the Brisbane Lions playing group has seen Harris Andrews and Lachie Neale re-elected as the Club’s Co-Captains for 2024.

'A little bit jealous': Lions keen to match their female counterparts

AMID the wild celebrations in the Brisbane rooms after the AFLW premiership triumph, a tall figure stood in the corner, quietly taking it all in.

After falling just four points shy in the men's decider, co-captain Harris Andrews didn't have a set role on the women's Grand Final day, but was around to lend a hand wherever was needed.

"I was simply moral support. I'm in admiration of our team, the AFLW girls. They've done an incredible job over the last five-six years," Andrews told AFL.com.au.

"They've been so successful, and throughout the expansion of the AFLW, they've lost so many players, but each year, they saddle up and go again. I still remember at the start of last year, everyone was writing them off and said they would be no good, and they certainly used that as a fuel to get them to where they wanted to go.

"It was a great experience going down there and being there at Ikon Park when they were able to win the premiership. I was obviously a little bit jealous, having gone through what we did last year, but I was super proud.

"You could see the effort and energy they bring to our footy club, and that's something we'll continue to work on, that one club, one connection. Us boys are always really heavily invested in how they go and vice versa. Really, really proud and happy for them."

Melbourne may have won the McClelland Trophy for the best-performing club across the AFL and AFLW home-and-away seasons, but Brisbane was the most powerful club come finals time over both competitions.

"We want to have an overall strong club in general, whether that's players, coaching staff, upstairs admin, we want to be top of the league in all those regards," Andrews said.

"To see the growth of AFLW, we get that first-hand experience of going out to footy clubs, going out to schools, clinics and seeing the growth of AFL, particularly in young girls, is incredible.

"The fact they've got so many great idols to look up to within our AFLW team is exceptional.

"We're really proud they're part of our club and hopefully this year we can match what they've done a couple of times over the last few years. It's been awesome."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back