Player Watch Harry DeMattia

Remove this Banner Ad

Nobody would admit it now …

… but Jayden Stephenson was as articulate and confident speaker as there’s been in the AFL (even if some of the things that came out of his mouth were a tad controversial to say the least)
Spoke willingly and fluently, but I'm not sure if being articulate is the same as being a dumb bloke with no filter.

Spoke willingly and fluently, but I'm not sure if being articulate is the same as being a dumb bloke with no filter.
I think there's a good chance that stepho is on the spectrum. That's not having a go at him , just an observation. He can play though

I think there's a good chance that stepho is on the spectrum. That's not having a go at him , just an observation. He can play though
He's definitely on the bogan spectrum.

Yep. Can play. I think he's set to take it up a level and become one of the most dangerous small forwards around.

A little reminder; he had a great attitude right from when drafted.
Starts with his family, (1:20 in)
He confirms he’s he’s a good decision maker (2:15 in)
Certainly no Oxford scholar going by his school results As long as he is footy smart that doesn’t matter

Be interesting to hear the back story behind his one term stint at Wesley College on scholarship before heading back to Mordialloc College with tail between his legs

Certainly no Oxford scholar going by his school results As long as he is footy smart that doesn’t matter

Be interesting to hear the back story behind his one term stint at Wesley College on scholarship before heading back to Mordialloc College with tail between his legs
Who gives a flying fk what someone's school results are?

Maybe he didn't like the deeply ingrained misogyny associated with Wesley.

Seems bizarre that some are trying their best to find fault in this kid.

Last edited:

How do you know he had "his tail between his legs"??
Probably equally or more likely that whatever he found in one term at Wesley was less preferable to his experiences at Mordi.

Spoke willingly and fluently, …

Exactly!

… but I'm not sure if being articulate is the same as being a dumb bloke with no filter.

“Articulate” means “being able to effectively express one’s opinions / thoughts / ideas”. It’s got nothing to do with the quality of those opinions / thoughts / ideas.

If you look at what he said at the time he was traded to North Melbourne, he ran rings around everybody at Collingwood - he made Walsh and Buckley look like fools.

Exactly!

“Articulate” means “being able to effectively express one’s opinions / thoughts / ideas”. It’s got nothing to do with the quality of those opinions / thoughts / ideas.

If you look at what he said at the time he was traded to North Melbourne, he ran rings around everybody at Collingwood - he made Walsh and Buckley look like fools.

That's the denotation, but with its connotative meaning it's not used to describe someone who describes simple thoughts simply.

can I put this in a nice way.....you're rather snotty aren't you...

How do you know he had "his tail between his legs"??
Probably equally or more likely that whatever he found in one term at Wesley was less preferable to his experiences at Mordi.
Suspect he found the general work ethic and level of ambition a touch higher at Mordi.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nobody would admit it now …

… but Jayden Stephenson was as articulate and confident speaker as there’s been in the AFL (even if some of the things that came out of his mouth were a tad controversial to say the least)

and Not Very Smart on what he did

It’s cool that you’re shaming an 18 year old over his academic results. And by cool I mean pathetic.

I hope he is a star, but seems like we are getting a bit ahead of ourselves.

An 18 yo who talks well means very little. At 18 you don't even know what you are talking about.

Based on our coaches methods so far, I'd not expect him to play seniors unless he is really proving himself to be ready in the VFL.

I'd also be surprised if he overtakes our multiple back flankers for that spot.
I think its a given that the big unknown is how good is he. But if he is one of the really good ones, and they do come at all stages of the draft, he seems to have the other attributes sorted so he could vault into best 22 quickly. You are thinking Beams, Sidey, Stepho, Henry, Beau, Langdon, Elliott, IQ type talent levels.

I think its a given that the big unknown is how good is he. But if he is one of the really good ones, and they do come at all stages of the draft, he seems to have the other attributes sorted so he could vault into best 22 quickly. You are thinking Beams, Sidey, Stepho, Henry, Beau, Langdon, Elliott, IQ type talent levels.
I think you’re generalising here in regards to this. How many draftees vault themselves in to the best 22 of the reigning premiers who have arguably the strongest line in the league, which they’re trying to break in to?
As it stands he’d have to be absolutely outstanding to get a berth without several injuries. It’s really only kids who are the best of the best who can break in to a team this strong in their first year, and it’s not often the best of the best slide through to the 20’s, so it’s probably best to be patient and temper our expectations.

Beams, Sidey, and Stepho are the ones on that list who were good enough to break into our current team in year 1. It would be great if he did, but I'm not expecting him to became a regular this year. The things we're raving about - his pace and his confidence and drive would have been known by all clubs before the draft. As you've alluded to in your first sentence - it comes down to whether he can play footy. I suspect he can't play well enough yet to crack the team, otherwise he would have gone early in the draft with his attributes, but hopefully his drive will see him develop quickly into an AFL standard player.

Exactly!

Comparing Stevo to Buckley 555.
Feck me.

I think you’re generalising here in regards to this. How many draftees vault themselves in to the best 22 of the reigning premiers who have arguably the strongest line in the league, which they’re trying to break in to?
As it stands he’d have to be absolutely outstanding to get a berth without several injuries. It’s really only kids who are the best of the best who can break in to a team this strong in their first year, and it’s not often the best of the best slide through to the 20’s, so it’s probably best to be patient and temper our expectations.

Beams, Sidey, and Stepho are the ones on that list who were good enough to break into our current team in year 1. It would be great if he did, but I'm not expecting him to became a regular this year. The things we're raving about - his pace and his confidence and drive would have been known by all clubs before the draft. As you've alluded to in your first sentence - it comes down to whether he can play footy. I suspect he can't play well enough yet to crack the team, otherwise he would have gone early in the draft with his attributes, but hopefully his drive will see him develop quickly into an AFL standard player.
I think you are both misunderstanding what I said which may be because of my delivery.

I said if he turned out to be one of the really good ones. Its not that likely he will but if he was similar to those I mentioned he would get games in 24 and head towards best 22. Sidey as an example had a great start to his career but only play 8 of 22 H&A games. If Harry was really good he could do that because he looks to have the confidence to back himself and the physical traits. More kids who go early in the draft do this but the ones who do it later in the draft also play early. There is just much less of them. Hopefully H becomes one.

I think you are both misunderstanding what I said which may be because of my delivery.

I said if he turned out to be one of the really good ones. Its not that likely he will but if he was similar to those I mentioned he would get games in 24 and head towards best 22. Sidey as an example had a great start to his career but only play 8 of 22 H&A games. If Harry was really good he could do that because he looks to have the confidence to back himself and the physical traits. More kids who go early in the draft do this but the ones who do it later in the draft also play early. There is just much less of them. Hopefully H becomes one.
I was agreeing with you. Pace, confidence and desire and he can talk the talk, hopefully he can play footy - that's the big question mark.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back