Player Watch Harry DeMattia

Remove this Banner Ad

The kids that make it generally do not struggle at VFL level. It's still too early to tell for DeMattia but he needs to improve every match at a minimum. He looks a bit lost in 1 on 1 defending so I'd like to see him used in the midfield / half forward maybe to get him into the game. I think he's stressing too much about where his opponent is and losing track of the game
He'll still be trying to work out how to play in the system - just way too early.

I thought we were delisting him to open up another spot in the msd

That was back when we were tanking for Long. Now we’ve stuffed everything up by going 5-1-0 so we’re resigned to putting up with DeMattia and his obvious mediocrity.

That was back when we were tanking for Long. Now we’ve stuffed everything up by going 5-1-0 so we’re resigned to putting up with DeMattia and his obvious mediocrity.
Hopefully we lose a couple of games before the MSD so we can push back into the top 10 picks.

The kids that make it generally do not struggle at VFL level. It's still too early to tell for DeMattia but he needs to improve every match at a minimum. He looks a bit lost in 1 on 1 defending so I'd like to see him used in the midfield / half forward maybe to get him into the game. I think he's stressing too much about where his opponent is and losing track of the game
Play a guy who struggles to find the footy in the midfield isn't a recipe for success. Back six and learning the position is exactly where he should start rather than finding him an easy kick.

I don’t think he’ll be having a long career but that’s me. Jiath and Parker have increased competition off HB. You’ve got to touch the ball more when the VFL boys are playing. Even if he’s new, it’s not the best start. Wil Parker has looked better. However, he’s got three years to turn things around.

Internally, I think his fitness would be liked but the room to improve is present. Have heard some interesting stories about Harry.

Hopefully we lose a couple of games before the MSD so we can push back into the top 10 picks.

It must be hard for those in the inner sanctum to see what is so obvious to us. They’re too close to the players. They need to come to the outer sanctum.

I don’t think he’ll be having a long career but that’s me. Jiath and Parker have increased competition off HB. You’ve got to touch the ball more when the VFL boys are playing. Even if he’s new, it’s not the best start. Wil Parker has looked better. However, he’s got three years to turn things around.

Internally, I think his fitness would be liked but the room to improve is present. Have heard some interesting stories about Harry.
Kinder, you are criticising people for having opinions on Ruscoe and Bianco, and yet writing off a kid after 3 vfl games after missing 10 weeks with an injury.

This is one of your really average posts. You need to tell us what you've heard or know to have any creedence whatsoever. HD is simply being played at HB to help with his development and will probably spend time in the midfield and forward. You have lost me now with your assessment of some of our kids.

Haven't watched the last couple of VFL games so haven't watched Harry play yet.

But if he's playing at half back in an undermanned and struggling VFL side, I'd wager that that's probably a contributing factor to what seems to be underwhelming performance?

If he's more of a pure mid then I can understand him struggling at half back

This is one of your really average posts. You need to tell us what you've heard or know to have any creedence whatsoever. HD is simply being played at HB to help with his development and will probably spend time in the midfield and forward. You have lost me now with your assessment of some of our kids.
HB is where a lot of potential mids start at the beginning of their career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't follow new recruits as much as some but I must admit I was surprised to see him play back in his first game as didn't think we recruited him a a backman.

I just think it is too early to judge especially when we haven't been winning games and the team seems to have revolving doors at the moment.

Really average assessment. All youve listed is if you play at vfl you have to touch the ball. Then mentioning youve heard some interesting stories with no follow up as to what they relate to.

Do you have any assessment of his actual football skills and consideration given to his injury interrupted preseason

What stories have you heard?

A mate who is a recruiter for a rival team was surprised that we took him. He thought Collingwood would have gone with Archer Reid or Logan Morris. He said Harry is a good kid and that he has great leadership qualities. He said that Jiath was a good selection and that his got a lot of upside. I guess time will tell with them both.

Kinder, you are criticising people for having opinions on Ruscoe and Bianco, and yet writing off a kid after 3 vfl games after missing 10 weeks with an injury.
And then topping it all by dropping some classic kinder innuendo ...

Really average assessment. All youve listed is if you play at vfl you have to touch the ball. Then mentioning youve heard some interesting stories with no follow up as to what they relate to.

Do you have any assessment of his actual football skills and consideration given to his injury interrupted preseason
Football skills are in-line with his team’s performances. If you’re not touching it much but turn it over at a fair rate, it’s not exactly promising. Until he can touch it more, he won’t dislodge the midfield at full strength. For a modern half-back, has to see it more as well.

Injury interrupted wouldn’t have helped so maybe some slack, as is the team-poor performance. I just don’t see it myself.

What stories have you heard?
I’m keeping it vague with interesting to avoid any drama. Let imagination run wild, won’t respond any more.

A mate who is a recruiter for a rival team was surprised that we took him. He thought Collingwood would have gone with Archer Reid or Logan Morris. He said Harry is a good kid and that he has great leadership qualities. He said that Jiath was a good selection and that his got a lot of upside. I guess time will tell with them both.
Harry’s peers would have a slightly different take on him. He’s managed by a large firm with links to SEN and they used this to beef up his profile. As per usual, most recruiters are surprised we reject height.

He’s got three years to prove otherwise and avoid making dumb mistakes.

I’m keeping it vague with interesting to avoid any drama. Let imagination run wild, won’t respond any more.

Harry’s peers would have a slightly different take on him. He’s managed by a large firm with links to SEN and they used this to beef up his profile. As per usual, most recruiters are surprised we reject height.

He’s got three years to prove otherwise and avoid making dumb mistakes.
Wouldn't be surprised by it. Happy to wait and see how he goes.

Haven't watched the last couple of VFL games so haven't watched Harry play yet.

But if he's playing at half back in an undermanned and struggling VFL side, I'd wager that that's probably a contributing factor to what seems to be underwhelming performance?

If he's more of a pure mid then I can understand him struggling at half back
What makes you think he's a pure mid? No inside skills and he doesn't get it much of it on the outside, quite sure mids who can't find the footy aren't in high demand.

That's a strange excuse since every other kid in the VFL has that same situation, and half the VFL boys are part timers who swap between VFL and other leagues every 2nd week.
And look how much of a mess the VFL team is.

We don't know how different his running patterns and role is compared to what he's used to. Some blokes look good early in the VFL simply because they're kicking chasing rather than sticking to their role. Some blokes struggle because they're sticking too much to the prescribed patterns and aren't adjusting for the game. If he's still struggling in a year then it's different, but he's three games in. We don't have to make a snap decision.

He'll still be trying to work out how to play in the system - just way too early.
this is exactly right.

at the ground, it was noticeable how much instruction Chucky Dean was giving to both DeMattia and Ryan in terms of where to stand / position, as part of the back 6 and especially when setting our defensive zone ..high'ish press to mid bloc

on the other hand, both seem less than instinctive footballers ..albeit early days esp for HDM

Remove this Banner Ad

Back