Have you lost respect for Gary Ablett Junior? Yes you have! How many games will he play in 2018?

How many games will Gary "Scumbag Mercenary Dog" Ablett play for Geelong in 2018?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 27, 2015
🅱️🅰️🥇1️⃣3️⃣
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
🇦🇺
Here's the story on GAJ for those who haven't been following - he was handed millions of dollars & the captaincy by GC only to deliver poor leadership & become one of the most unpopular captains among teammates in the league.

Then they gave him another massive front-loaded contract but he chucks a tanty & refuses to play out this season or anywhere except Geelong next year, despite already being paid a rumored $600k in past years of his contract that was clearly earmarked as payment for 2018.

It may be a plastic franchise with a s**t culture & a ******* president but that doesn't excuse him taking a massive steaming dump on it. He blathers about being a Christian like his father, but as far as I can tell both men are utterly without honor or loyalty to anyone but themselves.

The Ablett's sure have touched the Hawfs in the wrong way somehow.

Must be that lack of loyalty.

Call Geoff Ablett, maybe he can set Tuck Jnr on the straight and narrow seeing as his own father has done a bang up job of it so far. :eek:

Here's the story on GAJ for those who haven't been following - he was handed millions of dollars & the captaincy by GC only to deliver poor leadership & become one of the most unpopular captains among teammates in the league.

Then they gave him another massive front-loaded contract but he chucks a tanty & refuses to play out this season or anywhere except Geelong next year, despite already being paid a rumored $600k in past years of his contract that was clearly earmarked as payment for 2018.

It may be a plastic franchise with a s**t culture & a ******* president but that doesn't excuse him taking a massive steaming dump on it. He blathers about being a Christian like his father, but as far as I can tell both men are utterly without honor or loyalty to anyone but themselves.
If Gary moved to your poo and wee plastic franchise he would suddenly be the greatest player ever!

If Gary moved to your poo and wee plastic franchise he would suddenly be the greatest player ever!

I don't think Hawthorn would be too keen on getting another Gold Coast midfielder that hardly ever gets on the park.

He was handed millions of dollars and on field he was the clear best player in the competition for years. Unfortunately the timing of him being the best player in the comp did not coincide with GC being any good. Probably the drawback to getting a gun in his prime rather than a young gun. To be honest - only injuries really slowed him down. Before his shoulder problems he was still the best in the comp.

Did he flop as a leader? Yeah he did but to be fair GC failed at recruiting other leaders to support him and I think they would have made a number of different choices with the benefit of hindsight. You can't blame an entire team's performance on one guy.

I don't blame him for taking the deal to go to GC. The amount of money he would have had to turn down to stay at the Cats would have been obscene. The AFL created this situation and I doubt many top players would have turned down this type of opportunity when they were throwing $2m per year at him (money players are still not getting now).

Anyway he's given his best years to Gold Coast and now at 34 or whatever he is - I don't think he really owes Gold Coast anymore. They are entitled to hold him to his contract if they want but I don't think its a big deal if we walks away from footy or requests a trade at the end of the year.

I don't think Hawthorn would be too keen on getting another Gold Coast midfielder that hardly ever gets on the park.
Shoulders, knees.

We have the technology to rebuild him.
Thank you Stephen Dank.

I don't think his religion is relevant (in this instance) to his decision making. I just think Ablett jr is a smart guy, who plays a risk vs reward type of game, and maximises his opportunities in respect to money vs damage he does to himself. Football is a brutal sport. Ablett jr appears to of made a reasoned decision to maximise his talent and $$$ generation, and minimise his opportunities of receiving damage playing the game. You could say he has gamed the system, because as it stands he hasn't really appeared interested after receiving a shoulder injury. As a massive Ablett jr fan, I have noticed he checked out earlier than just this year. If he does go back to Geelong I think he will have a bit to offer. If he plays forward I wouldn't be surprised to see him win the Coleman.

I don't think his religion is relevant (in this instance) to his decision making. I just think Ablett jr is a smart guy, who plays a risk vs reward type of game, and maximises his opportunities in respect to money vs damage he does to himself. Football is a brutal sport. Ablett jr has made a reasonable decision to maximise his talent and $$$ generation, and minimise his opportunities of receiving damaging playing the game. You could say he has gamed the system, because as it stands he hasn't really appeared interested after receiving a shoulder injury. As a massive Ablett jr fan, I have noticed he checked out earlier than just this year. If he does go back to Geelong I think he will have a bit to offer. If he plays forward I wouldn't be surprised to see him win the Coleman.
By "smart" do you mean Ablett is a downright con-artist?

Ablett forced GC to heavily front-load his contract, he was absolutely insistent on it. Surprise surprise, at the end of last year he demands a trade to Geelong after being paid the inflated rates of the earlier years of the contract. This is the same guy who could've stayed at Geelong to win more Premierships but chose to leave purely because GC offered more cash.

I'd say he absolutely knew what he was doing and deliberately fleeced GC knowing he'd be heading back to Geelong before the contract was up.

Ablett forced GC to heavily front-load his contract, he was absolutely insistent on it. Surprise surprise, at the end of last year he demands a trade to Geelong after being paid the inflated rates of the earlier years of the contract. This is the same guy who could've stayed at Geelong to win more Premierships but chose to leave purely because GC offered more cash.

I'd say he absolutely knew what he was doing and deliberately fleeced GC knowing he'd be heading back to Geelong before the contract was up.

Smart, and/or shifty. But I wouldn't bring his religion into it. As much as you could argue he is a hypocrite - to make a selfish decision whilst standing on his religious beliefs, you could also make the argument that he makes his own personal decisions irrespective of his religious beliefs. In that respect he is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. I don't know if he deliberately fleeced the GC, but I can see why you don't want to give him the benefit of the doubt. I wouldn't go that far. I would lump some of the blame on GC for offering him a contact - knowing he may want to head home. I don't think he was playing as though he wanted to stay even when he was offered a contract extension.

So do you dislike the guy because he went somewhere else to possibly further his career and bank account or because he wanted to be a millionaire at 25 years of age..?
Has always failed to play football on anything but his own terms, or on the rare occasions when he was forced to put team first, he had a spat with the coach about it.
lol foolish boy you are.
You're annoyed because he left the club and chased cash or because he had a fall out with Bomber..? o_O

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just want to know if there are any other players in history with a one week calf injury that coinsides with traveling interstate.

I just want to know if there are any other players in history with a one week calf injury that coinsides with traveling interstate.
Doubtful. :(

Is there another player in history who had to give up his Chas to Trent Cotchin..??

Doubtful. :(

Is there another player in history who had to give up his Chas to Trent Cotchin..??

One is a cheat and one is a sook. What are we to do?

Having said that he probably also cheated at Geelong #dank

All good. Ablett and Dank back to Geelong and they have a secret Weapon. As part of his training, Ablett can use the Sea Kayaker too. :D

Probably's good enough for me. Cancel his contract at GC and give him a 6 month ban ;)

The effects last for many years too. * I love peds

Same amount of respect I had for him previously, very little. Great player, average bloke. There's a reason Stevie J gets invited back to Geelong player's weddings and whatnot while Gaz doesn't. Happy to have him back at Geelong though, provided he plays for peanuts, which he won't.

Back