AJ_No.4

Club Legend
Mar 15, 2005
Down Under
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Bulls, UNC
I've noticed that a lot of you guys have included Skipworth in your best 22 and or Round 1 team. I think Hayden Skipworth is our worst player.

He is a dud. He can only play one position, which is up forward. He is too small. Lets face it, he is a fantastic SANFL player, but he is not up to AFL standard.

I would like to know what other think???

Remember the days when we were delisting players the calibre of Brett James, Matt Connell and Kym Koster?!

For this reason it never ceases to amaze me that the likes of Skipworth, Shirley and Perrie are still here.

dyertribe said:
Remember the days when we were delisting players the calibre of Brett James, Matt Connell and Kym Koster?!

For this reason it never ceases to amaze me that the likes of Skipworth, Shirley and Perrie are still here.

Oh cut your crap dyertribe. You always come out with the most bigoted rubbish whenever it suits.

Skipworth and Shirley sure, but Perrie was fantastic in 2003 and when actually played in position in 2004 was good again. There is no way he deserved to be cut.

You have a habit of blindly hating players and abusing them no matter whether they are actually performing.

AJ_No.4 said:
I've noticed that a lot of you guys have included Skipworth in your best 22 and or Round 1 team. I think Hayden Skipworth is our worst player.

He is a dud. He can only play one position, which is up forward. He is too small. Lets face it, he is a fantastic SANFL player, but he is not up to AFL standard.

I would like to know what other think???

let's just do the maths. if Skipworth makes the 22, exactly how is he our worst player?

other than that, I disagree. I think he could be a chance to step up, he played some very good games towards the end of last year.

spindoctor said:
Oh cut your crap dyertribe. You always come out with the most bigoted rubbish whenever it suits.

Skipworth and Shirley sure, but Perrie was fantastic in 2003 and when actually played in position in 2004 was good again. There is no way he deserved to be cut.

You have a habit of blindly hating players and abusing them no matter whether they are actually performing.

Your chemist must have been doing a roaring trade before you lost your health care card.

So AJ 4, you would prefer to play Mathew Smith as a small forward!
Give Skippy a chance, i rate him higher than Ladhams, Scuback, Shirley and Doughty, **Shudders**

Last season he did improve a bundle on what we'd previously seen. A few 20-possession games was far more than I think anyone except his most ardent admirers thought he was capable of.

For his position and size he is yet to translate this newly-found ability to find the footy into goals. If he can produce even half of what the likes of Stephen Milne, Paul Medhurst and Phil Matera can I'll be rapt. With only 17 games under his belt coming into this, his fifth season (debut R1, 2001 vs Sydney), he's got to make a name for himself sooner rather than later though.

DT makes some good points about Skippy.

He surprised me last year with some of his games, when his disposals to time spent on the ground ratio would have been right up there with the best of them.

Unfortunately I don't call him 35 metre Skipworth for nothing. Surely if they can send a man to the moon, they can teach a young man to kick longer than that. :eek:

He's honest as hell and tries his arse off, and doesn't shirk it. He's far from being our worst player, a dubious honour that Matthew Smith so richly deserves.

Skippy is just another one who's playing for his AFL football life this year.

dyertribe said:
Your chemist must have been doing a roaring trade before you lost your health care card.

Oh my God! Comeback of the century...

:rolleyes:

yes dyertribe, he has a point, perrie did more than enough to stay on the list in 2003. Even though 2004 wasnt great for him, you cant say his coach showed a great deal of faith in him, to allow him improve either. And you do tend to bend the facts to suit you, especially with leagues next super start, young j brown.

skAJ_No.4 i agree that skipworth is limited in what he can do, but he is a HHF/crumbing type with a good worth ethic that is willing to have a go. Obviously he wont be there in a premiership yr, which is hopefully 3 yrs away. He as with many is overrated on here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

outback jack said:
skAJ_No.4 i agree that skipworth is limited in what he can do, but he is a HHF/crumbing type with a good worth ethic that is willing to have a go. Obviously he wont be there in a premiership yr, which is hopefully 3 yrs away. He as with many is overrated on here.

I don't think we over-rate Skippy at all, jack.

It's just that we have a large bunch of pretty ordinary players in the bottom half of our list, and he's one of the better ones of that group.

If I see Skipworth taking marks and then running around in circles before he disposes of the pill, I will not be happy. If he cannot eliminate this from his game he deserves to be delisted at the end of 2005.

outback jack said:
yes dyertribe, he has a point, perrie did more than enough to stay on the list in 2003. Even though 2004 wasnt great for him, you cant say his coach showed a great deal of faith in him, to allow him improve either.

Perrie was servicable in 2003 before dropping back down to his usual level.

Furthermore, my comment was based on Perrie's career as a whole. He's been nothing more than a battler since his debut way back in 1998, and that gets back to the initial point - we've delisted more accomplished players than him in our history.

And you do tend to bend the facts to suit you, especially with leagues next super start, young j brown.

If you'd like to point out where I have done this I'd be happy to debate you in the relevant thread. Irrelevant here however.

macca23 said:
I don't think we over-rate Skippy at all, jack.

It's just that we have a large bunch of pretty ordinary players in the bottom half of our list, and he's one of the better ones of that group.

i think some do, there is a lot of positivity about him when in reality hes been on the list a while now. He did show something last yr, but i doubt he can be there long term, has some major flaws in his game that need to be overcome. I personally think he needs to get in the gym, at his height he needs to trying to get a schammer, cousins type body to give himself the best chance at success. Its true though, there are some behind him in terms of improvement and potential on our list, which is obviously a bit of a worry.

Skipworth is a dud.
If he is getting a game in the seniors on a regular basis your going to struggle.
I agree with A.J #4 should not be in the 22.

dyertribe said:
Perrie was servicable in 2003 before dropping back down to his usual level.

more than servicable, won games off his won boot, geelong was one by memory

dyertribe said:
Furthermore, my comment was based on Perrie's career as a whole. He's been nothing more than a battler since his debut way back in 1998, and that gets back to the initial point - we've delisted more accomplished players than him in our history..

Yes he career as a whole is servicable at best. The clubs management is 90% to blame. Ayres firstly couldnt decide whether to play him in defence or attack, even last yr when the guy should have well and truly been given a position. When tredrea came on the scene his kicking was worse that perries, tredrea is a result of a club putting some hard work and confidence into a player, perrie is a result of not much at all. I'm not saying perrie is tredrea's equal, but the club hasnt done the best by him. And yes better players have been delisted, infact better players arent drafted too, but the reality is skipworth isnt one of them.

dyertribe said:
If you'd like to point out where I have done this I'd be happy to debate you in the relevant thread. Irrelevant here however.

no i was just pointing out we all have our biases

jo172 said:
So AJ 4, you would prefer to play Mathew Smith as a small forward!
Give Skippy a chance, i rate him higher than Ladhams, Scuback, Shirley and Doughty, **Shudders**

I didn't know that I mentioned Matthew Smith. He's a dud as well, but Skipworth is the worst player on our list.

Give him a go...............LOL. How many goes would you like me to give him???

5 years on the list................... 17 games, pretty ordinary return.

I can not comment on Matthew Smith, as I haven't seen enough of him, but once gain he is very good at SANFL level and that is probably all he will ever be.

outback jack said:
more than servicable, won games off his won boot, geelong was one by memory

He booted 6 against Melbourne in Round 12 of that year. Apart from that game he kicked 3 against Freo in Round 1 (Carey's debut).

In that stormer against Geelong he only managed the 1 goal, but his 16 touches and 11 marks were telling on the day - but presenting at contests has never been his problem. It's what he does with the footy and his lack of goalsense which has let him down.

Anyway, overall, I'd say a total of 26 goals in 22 games from a key forward is servicable, nothing more.

The clubs management is 90% to blame. Ayres firstly couldnt decide whether to play him in defence or attack, even last yr when the guy should have well and truly been given a position.

You make a very good point regarding the way the club has deployed him over the years, however, for a man of his size and ability to hit a contest and bust a pack wide open we have a right to be disappointed with his overall performance in a Crows guernsey to date.

AJ_No.4 said:
I didn't know that I mentioned Matthew Smith. He's a dud as well, but Skipworth is the worst player on our list.

Give him a go...............LOL. How many goes would you like me to give him???

5 years on the list................... 17 games, pretty ordinary return.

I can not comment on Matthew Smith, as I haven't seen enough of him, but once gain he is very good at SANFL level and that is probably all he will ever be.

Sorrry to keep debating this issue. ;)

But Skippy has at least cracked 17 games, some useful, in his 4 years to date on our list (3 main, 1 rookie)

Lord Smith on the other hand was drafted the same year as Skippy off memory and likewise has been on the list for 4 years (3 main, 1 rookie).

Smith still hasn't played an AFL game and is unlikely to IMO. Last year when even the hot dog stand attendant got a game or two, he couldn't crack one.

He is the complete all-round dud.

dyertribe said:
He booted 6 against Melbourne in Round 12 of that year. Apart from that game he kicked 3 against Freo in Round 1 (Carey's debut).

In that stormer against Geelong he only managed the 1 goal, but his 16 touches and 11 marks were telling on the day - but presenting at contests has never been his problem. It's what he does with the footy and his lack of goalsense which has let him down.

Anyway, overall, I'd say a total of 26 goals in 22 games from a key forward is servicable, nothing more.

You make a very good point regarding the way the club has deployed him over the years, however, for a man of his size and ability to hit a contest and bust a pack wide open we have a right to be disappointed with his overall performance in a Crows guernsey to date.

i have always wondered if we hadnt of got carey where perrie would be now, i suspect he'd would of taken great steps forward. Anyway, i agree with most of what you've said, 26 goals in 22 is serviceable at best. This isnt delisting form though.

I still think the club is to blame, i remember that geelong game and i thought why they wouldnt put him 10metres back so all his marks were 45 m out instead of 55m out. Ayres certainly wasnt the man to develop young talent, it was clubs job to make sure someone was under him who could, like stewart is now. Basically you put shi te into a player and you get shi te back, we have treated him like ******** so we cant expect too much from him.

dyertribe said:

You are making the fatal mistake of equating goals kicked with impact on a game. In that Geelong game Perrie was brilliant - he didn't kick many goals, but he was the avenue into our forward line - the true CHF's role. You seem to have this obsession of equating goal performances with quality.

You slather over Tredrea's whole career, but before his recent move deeper into the forward lines he wasn't kicking too many goals a season. Carey was never the major goalkicker for the Roos - he was brilliant at directing play. A ture CHF will provide a target and direction for forward-line entries, not necessarily kick lots of goals themselves. Stevens only kicked 38 in his best season for us, and Robran never kicked that many either.

Don't tar Perrie with what you ignore in others.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back