Toast Heath blacks honesty

Remove this Banner Ad

Sigh. I will agree that the human race is overmedicated (it is something I've noticed a lot lately), however, the reason why doctors prescribe antidepressants when first diagnosing someone with depression is to help them control their mood so that they can attempt to get help rather then a quick fix. This then leads on to counselling/psychotherapy and a lifestyle change. The thing is, antidepressants don't fix the problem - sadly, people assume that they do.

BTW, please don't tell me I'm wrong. I've not only been working in the health industry for 3 years, but have also been diagnosed myself.

BTW, please don't tell me I'm wrong. I've not only been working in the health industry for 3 years, but have also been diagnosed myself.

Well you are wrong if you believe a doctor does that every time before he gives you the meds. Perhaps you mean they should be doing something, but it seems weird to me if they are required by law when multiple people I have known just walk in and out with a prescription.

Anyhow shibz, best way to get over depression is by having a sleep in my large bed. It's comfy and helps with the pressure points or something. Unfortunately it's hard to give a prescription to it so I can only help a small portion of society.

http://www.medicalobserver.com.au/news/gene-for-depression-identified

SCIENTISTS have identified a gene associated with major depression, potentially paving the way for a novel class of anti-depressant medication.

The discovery was made by German scientists who compared DNA from more than 15,000 depressed and healthy patients.

Altered letters in the genetic code were identified that were clearly associated with depression, researchers said, and they appeared to influence a gene called SLC6A15, which is believed to regulate glutamate in the brain.

"Because it is assumed that the communication between the neuron clusters is disturbed in depression, we considered whether the gene we had identified could possibly influence this process through glutamate," said lead researcher Dr Elisabeth Binder, from the Max Planck Institute of Psychiatry in Munich.

Tests showed that the DNA changes affected the gene's activity, especially in the hippocampus.

In depressed patients, the SLC6A15 gene was less active and certain regions of the hippocampus were reduced in volume.

Well you are wrong if you believe a doctor does that every time before he gives you the meds. Perhaps you mean they should be doing something, but it seems weird to me if they are required by law when multiple people I have known just walk in and out with a prescription.

Anyhow shibz, best way to get over depression is by having a sleep in my large bed. It's comfy and helps with the pressure points or something. Unfortunately it's hard to give a prescription to it so I can only help a small portion of society.

Haha in your dreams buddy :thumbsu:

I'm almost off my medication anyway, then I will sort out other aspects that have caused me to be like this.

Haha in your dreams buddy :thumbsu:

I'm almost off my medication anyway, then I will sort out other aspects that have caused me to be like this.

You're 5 foot 10 with green eyes and a docker supporter? ;) Good luck anyhow with your problems, and anyone else here with problems.

Unnecessary and disrespectful :thumbsdown:

Back on topic, I hope Heath manages to get on top of it, and that some guys who are suffering realise they are not alone.

Agreed hope he does beat it.

Memories.............. people who suffer depression "use drugs and alcohol" to self medicate, it makes them feel better for a short time, it helps them forget what is troubling them, hence the addictions that accompany depression.

That's a pretty big generalisation.

IAMJUNGLEMUFFIN, I didn't mean ALL depression sufferers, however a great proportion of them do, and that includes prescription drugs also, like valium etc.

shibz, sorry that your mum is in denial.

I will always thank Nathan Thompson for his decision to talk about his depression.

My son (then aged 17) and I watched that episode of TFS, and four days later my son asked me to make him an appointment with a doctor. A lot of what Nathan talked about gave my son the courage to ask for help. He could understand exactly what Nathan was saying about how his depression made him feel, because he had a lot of the same feelings. Some days were so bad, that I give thanks we still have my son alive today.

We found a wonderful doctor, he had some great friends that helped him through a tough time, he was in a school that had great pastoral care, and I hope that he feels he had a family that has supported him through it all.

Even if you doubt that Heath has/had depression and is using it as an excuse for his behaviour, I hope that his story might just give someone the courage to seek help. If it saves one life, then it will be worth it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I will always thank Nathan Thompson for his decision to talk about his depression.

My son (then aged 17) and I watched that episode of TFS, and four days later my son asked me to make him an appointment with a doctor. A lot of what Nathan talked about gave my son the courage to ask for help. He could understand exactly what Nathan was saying about how his depression, because he had a lot of the same feelings. Some days were so bad, that I give thanks we still have my son alive today.

We found a wonderful doctor, he had some great friends that helped him through a tough time, he was in a school that had great pastoral care, and I hope that he feels he had a family that has supported him through it all.

Even if you doubt that Heath has/had depression and is using it as an excuse for his behaviour, I hope that his story might just give someone the courage to seek help. If it saves one life, then it will be worth it.

Very well said.

My son (then aged 17) and I watched that episode of TFS, and four days later my son asked me to make him an appointment with a doctor. A lot of what Nathan talked about gave my son the courage to ask for help. He could understand exactly what Nathan was saying about how his depression made him feel, because he had a lot of the same feelings. Some days were so bad, that I give thanks we still have my son alive today.

Thanks for writing this post.

(From a family who lost a loved one due to her battle with depression)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back