Player Watch Henry Schade (Delisted 2017)

Remove this Banner Ad

Other rules are different for the two different categories, so it's not impossible that this one is different too. I can't see any other reason why they would have elevated Schade rather than Cox. You're right that Blicavs was the nominated rookie in 2014, but it wouldn't be the first time that the AFL approved something without realising that it was against their rules.
I've certainly looked and not been able to find anything in the rules that specifically covers this, so that's rather frustrating!

Carlton named Irishman Ciaran Byrne as their (pre-season) nominated rookie last year. The question is, was Byrne a Cat. B Rookie in 2016, or was it fellow Irishman Ciaran Sheehan (they couldn't both be Cat. B). I had Byrne as Cat. B and Sheehan Cat. A, but that was purely based on the fact that the AFL had them that way in 2015 ( http://s.build001.aflprod.com/staticfile/AFL Tenant/AFL/Files/2015finalclublists2.pdf ):-

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-03-16/rookie-watch-who-will-be-promoted-at-your-club

Ciaran Byrne played in two NAB Challenge games and was confirmed as the Blues' nominated rookie on Tuesday as they have 39 primary-listed players.

Other rules are different for the two different categories, so it's not impossible that this one is different too. I can't see any other reason why they would have elevated Schade rather than Cox. You're right that Blicavs was the nominated rookie in 2014, but it wouldn't be the first time that the AFL approved something without realising that it was against their rules.
Blicavs was promoted on LTI in 2014, not nominated.

I've certainly looked and not been able to find anything in the rules that specifically covers this, so that's rather frustrating!

Carlton named Irishman Ciaran Byrne as their (pre-season) nominated rookie last year. The question is, was Byrne a Cat. B Rookie in 2016, or was it fellow Irishman Ciaran Sheehan (they couldn't both be Cat. B). I had Byrne as Cat. B and Sheehan Cat. A, but that was purely based on the fact that the AFL had them that way in 2015 ( http://s.build001.aflprod.com/staticfile/AFL Tenant/AFL/Files/2015finalclublists2.pdf ):-

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-03-16/rookie-watch-who-will-be-promoted-at-your-club

Ciaran Byrne played in two NAB Challenge games and was confirmed as the Blues' nominated rookie on Tuesday as they have 39 primary-listed players.
On the bolded, yes they can. Clubs can have more than 1 cat B rookie listed. It was a max of 3 or 4 last time I checked.

This may have already been discussed, but I've read on a couple places now that we sniped Schade from GCS as they were planning to re-rookie him. By all accounts GCS weren't impressed as this was seen as being pretty "ungentlemanly".

Might explain why he's doing better than expected if the Suns didn't actually want to lose him.
A required player with the Suns and we did very well to grab him.

Three.

However, as I understand it, only one can be an Irishman...
I don't think that Irishman can be Cat B.

Edit

I'm out-of-date and just plain wrong:

http://www.afl.com.au/afl-hq/the-afl-explained/rookie-players

IRISH ROOKIE PRE-SELECTION

Irish players can be signed directly to a club’s Rookie List under the International Player Rule and do not have to go through the draft. Previously, Irish players could not be listed as Category B rookies but took a spot on the main Rookie List.

Clubs can now list one Irish player as a Category B rookie but for each additional Irish player rookie listed, that player will be deemed to be a Category A rookie and the club will forfeit its last selection in the Rookie Draft for each additional player listed.

Last edited:
Huge effort to debut in round 1. He's beat the like or Daicos and Brown and Mayne who is on big money, a number 1 draft picks in Sier and Degoey and Lynden Dunn who played well in the pre season. Also beaten Wells although not hard there considering he got injured a month ago. Great effort to play.

Huge effort to debut in round 1. He's beat the like or Daicos and Brown and Mayne who is on big money, a number 1 draft picks in Sier and Degoey and Lynden Dunn who played well in the pre season. Also beaten Wells although not hard there considering he got injured a month ago. Great effort to play.

Agree great effort from Schade, but the highlighted are either injured (which you concede for Wells), coming back from injury, or barely out of nappies and therefore not ready. The positions they play also count.

But then you know all this of course, that not all the listed comparisons are relevant.

Guess I took the bait TG.:rolleyes:

Agree great effort from Schade, but the highlighted are either injured (which you concede for Wells), coming back from injury, or barely out of nappies and therefore not ready. The positions they play also count.

But then you know all this of course, that not all the listed comparisons are relevant.

Guess I took the bait TG.:rolleyes:

Vicky Park you should have just said TG you're right and left it at that.

Schade is Goldy's boy and he is going to milk it for as long as he can! :p

P.S Well done Schade you deserve to be starting in Round 1.

A required player with the Suns and we did very well to grab him.

That is putting a positive spin on things. If he was 'required' they would not have delisted him. Clubs don't delist required players. He was only required by the Suns cause he was still under contract.

Time will tell whether he turns out to be AFL standard, good back up, or a list clogged like he obviously ended up at the Suns.

A good preseason does not you an AFL player. I hope this bloke comes good because his size and attributes are valuable to any team, but let us not kid ourselves. At the moment all we have is a player in the last chance saloon.

WTF? He beat two skinny first year kids, one who had glandular fever. He beat a player who was not a number one draft pick (not even a first round pick) who has been injured all preseason. He beat a bloke with a broken hand. He beat a bloke with dodgy legs.

You really have rose coloured glasses on with this kid. Not arguing he hasn't done well, but your list of 'achievements' is staggering. All he did was beat Dunn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back