Running/Fitness HIIT

Remove this Banner Ad

Good post. Interesting read.

I think I'm slowly coming to the same conclusion. Higher intensity certainly comes with a higher endorphin hit, so I'm gravitating towards that anyway. My personal experience is that there seems to be a difference between cardio interval training and strength interval training.

For those still interested - my weight is still dropping. More than I want it to. I'm down to 72.9kg after being 76kg three weeks ago. I wanted to test this style of training out for a month to see what happened and it's made a visible impact, and my performance on strength/cardio exercises has improved as evidenced by what I can lift and how many intervals I can do for the running sessions..

It's been pretty remarkable. I don't think I'm the best trainer - I certainly wouldn't have done a text-book style HIIT regime. (But have fairly good records of everything I've done). I've got some decisions to make about what I want to do (e.g. bulk up, or train for performance, etc). Has been fun to experiment with though.

If you are losing more weight than you want to, then you need to eat more.

If you are losing more weight than you want to, then you need to eat more.
I like your style of pragmatism.

But yeah - it's pretty obvious. I feel like I already eat a lot. I'm just clearly burning a lot more than I'm taking in.

I didn't really set a goal with this - it was more "I'm going to change up my exercise style and see what happens".

Good citations

Note the statement.
"Our analysis also indicated that only computed tomography scan or magnetic resonance imaging showed significant abdominal and/or visceral fat-mass loss after HIIT interventions."

But I suspect the usual weight loss issues come into play 90% food, 10% other stuff. But interesting to see that 2018 work shows changes in fat composition using more sophisticated technology (than a pair of scales)

But yeah - it's pretty obvious. I feel like I already eat a lot. I'm just clearly burning a lot more than I'm taking in.

I didn't really set a goal with this - it was more "I'm going to change up my exercise style and see what happens".

The body is an amazing thing and the biological/physiological processes are pretty complex. But very simply weight loss/gain comes down to how much you or don’t eat.

And yes I’m over simplifying things

Is your bench press strength still going up even with that further weight loss?

Does anybody else have experience of losing several kg’s and still having their strength go up? I’m an ectomorph, so maybe that’s why, but when I lose or gain weight, there seems to be a correlation with my strength going up or down.

Does anybody else have experience of losing several kg’s and still having their strength go up? I’m an ectomorph, so maybe that’s why, but when I lose or gain weight, there seems to be a correlation with my strength going up or down.

It will depend on how much experience you have with lifting. If you are a newbie and just starting off, you can increase your strength whilst losing weight.

For me my strength directly correlates to how much I weigh, the heavier I weigh the stronger I am. But during those times I’m eating and training accordingly

Slowly. As I’ve said before in this thread I do a few warm ups and then aim for my best 3x10 effort.

Started this patch doing 60kgs, now doing 70kgs, but really struggling on the last few. It will be a while until I can level up. (Once I can do 3x10 successfully for a few sessions in a row I test an extra 5kgs. If I struggle too much I drop back and consolidate for a few more sessions before trying the heavier weight again.

There’s a reason they have weight classes in strength sports

Good post. Interesting read.

I think I'm slowly coming to the same conclusion. Higher intensity certainly comes with a higher endorphin hit, so I'm gravitating towards that anyway. My personal experience is that there seems to be a difference between cardio interval training and strength interval training.

For those still interested - my weight is still dropping. More than I want it to. I'm down to 72.9kg after being 76kg three weeks ago. I wanted to test this style of training out for a month to see what happened and it's made a visible impact, and my performance on strength/cardio exercises has improved as evidenced by what I can lift and how many intervals I can do for the running sessions..

It's been pretty remarkable. I don't think I'm the best trainer - I certainly wouldn't have done a text-book style HIIT regime. (But have fairly good records of everything I've done). I've got some decisions to make about what I want to do (e.g. bulk up, or train for performance, etc). Has been fun to experiment with though.

Apologies for the delayed response.

Yep, a big difference between strength and cardio HIIT. I tend to find cardio HIIT more intense, but the muscle soreness doesn't last as long. When I do strength I lean towards more strength than number of reps. So sometimes it's very hard to push the weights with intensity. Then you drop weight. When I started doing Grit the instructor was fantastic at explaining how HIIT works. She kept saying she wanted us to 'fail'. That is to not be able to keep up because we were working so hard. You see people with light weights and they are just doing a cardio workout without the resistance aspect being strong.

I've certainly found that HIIT makes me more able to work at a higher level. Things that used to be hard aren't anymore. But it doesn't build muscle, beyond a limited amount, and after a while I don't drop weight. Although when I go on holiday and put on a few kg's it comes off fast :thumbsu::D.

Great way to train, as long as increased power and fitness is your goal.

Not super advice

Why?

The point of HIIT is to work at a very high intensity for short periods, followed by an interval of rest, then repeat. If your intensity is high enough you will 'fail' - i.e. take a short (2 second) rest, then return to the fray.

If you never approach 'failure' then are you working at as high an intensity as you can? I'd say no. I see people doing HIIT that never really get shot. To me they will not get the benefits of HIIT. Failure is good, if it is the right sort of failure. Not to injury. Not to collapse. But to have to have a brief rest, yes.

Because it's not based on anything else but how much fatigue can you take which does not ensure any form of progress...and once you reach failure you're output drops DRAMATICALLY so why keep going when the quality is so low? Why do you HAVE to work at the highest intensity you can knowing that the higher the intensity you do anything at, the shorter duration you can do it for?

Because it's not based on anything else but how much fatigue can you take which does not ensure any form of progress...and once you reach failure you're output drops DRAMATICALLY so why keep going when the quality is so low? Why do you HAVE to work at the highest intensity you can knowing that the higher the intensity you do anything at, the shorter duration you can do it for?

Sorry, what???

The form of training is High Intensity Interval Training.

Therefore part of the logic is to have you training at as high an intensity as you can. So one of the things you want to do is to regularly push yourself to your max, such that you have to stop (or fell that you have to stop). Thus you 'fail'. Not that you fall over and die. That you fail to keep on going at the same intensity. If you never fail then you probably are never working at what is for you a really "high intensity".

As to form, I agree. You want to keep good form. Form tends to suffer when you are near failure. I have a problem of squatting forward rather than down into my heels as I fatigue. Bad form, and can lead to knee problems if I am unlucky. But HIIT is usually fairly light weights (compared to what you can push), and over time you get used to feelings of fatigue.

As to your question:
"Why do you HAVE to work at the highest intensity you can knowing that the higher the intensity you do anything at, the shorter duration you can do it for?"
That is sort of the point of HIIT. If you can do something for a long period of time it isn't high intensity. HIIT training is intended to overload your body, but in a way you recover from quickly. Then you go again, and again. Over time your body adjusts to working at such a high intensity and it acts as though you are working harder than you are. That is, IMHO, the key to why HIIT works is that the work you do is less than the body thinks you are doing, because of the intensity. But the only way to get that intensity in a decent quantity is to have rests (intervals). So people that work really hard over a longer time period (minutes plus) are not doing HIIT. They have to work at a lower intensity, because the body cannot handle the stress. Alternatively, for example, people that lift heavy weights don't do HIIT. They are working very hard, but at such an intensity they cannot do more than a few reps, and/or have to work slowly so that their body can deal with the effort required.

HIIT is just one form of workout/training. It isn't the best. There is no best. I love cardio, HIIT, weights and core work.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HIIT is just one form of workout/training. It isn't the best. There is no best. I love cardio, HIIT, weights and core work.

Spot on. It's like nutrition, there's no definitive dietary intake despite all the so called experts telling us otherwise, the same with exercise, so many experts trying to convince us they know best. What ever works for the individual is the BEST way.

Sorry, what???

The form of training is High Intensity Interval Training.

Therefore part of the logic is to have you training at as high an intensity as you can. So one of the things you want to do is to regularly push yourself to your max, such that you have to stop (or fell that you have to stop). Thus you 'fail'. Not that you fall over and die. That you fail to keep on going at the same intensity. If you never fail then you probably are never working at what is for you a really "high intensity".

As to form, I agree. You want to keep good form. Form tends to suffer when you are near failure. I have a problem of squatting forward rather than down into my heels as I fatigue. Bad form, and can lead to knee problems if I am unlucky. But HIIT is usually fairly light weights (compared to what you can push), and over time you get used to feelings of fatigue.

As to your question:
"Why do you HAVE to work at the highest intensity you can knowing that the higher the intensity you do anything at, the shorter duration you can do it for?"
That is sort of the point of HIIT. If you can do something for a long period of time it isn't high intensity. HIIT training is intended to overload your body, but in a way you recover from quickly. Then you go again, and again. Over time your body adjusts to working at such a high intensity and it acts as though you are working harder than you are. That is, IMHO, the key to why HIIT works is that the work you do is less than the body thinks you are doing, because of the intensity. But the only way to get that intensity in a decent quantity is to have rests (intervals). So people that work really hard over a longer time period (minutes plus) are not doing HIIT. They have to work at a lower intensity, because the body cannot handle the stress. Alternatively, for example, people that lift heavy weights don't do HIIT. They are working very hard, but at such an intensity they cannot do more than a few reps, and/or have to work slowly so that their body can deal with the effort required.

Is the HIIT you do with weights all in a structured class like Body Pump? In terms of intensity or training to failure isn't that the premise of all muscle building?

Is the HIIT you do with weights all in a structured class like Body Pump? In terms of intensity or training to failure isn't that the premise of all muscle building?

I do Les Mills GRIT. There are 3 versions, Strength - weights, Cardio - body weight, and Plyo - hand weight and step. It is structured, similar to Pump. But in some ways quite different. The classes make me (and most people) work harder than they otherwise would. Grit makes you work very hard - if you actually try to. I've tried F45 and various HIIT PT classes. None of them are anywhere near the intensity of Grit. They've mostly got the intensity and intervals thing spot on. Very good instructors can do much the same thing as Grit. Just most PTs and instructors aren't that good.

Training to failure - yes that is the goal of weight training in in general - to get the best out of it. The difference in HIIT is that you don't do the heavy weight style of failure - slowly grinding out 8 reps. You blast out the reps fast, until you are at or very near not being able to continue (failure). The lighter weights allow you to recover fast. Compared to pump he'd generally use heavier weights, because you aren't doing so many reps. Up to the individual.

Failure in HIIT is about having to stop and rest for a few seconds then returning to the work. That gets you the intensity that drives the method. Smash out 19 clean and press in minute, or do burpees for a minute. Then rest and recover enough to go round again (interval). Similar type of failure, but it feels quite different.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back