Query History questions that don't warrant their own thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought it might be a good idea to have a thread like this. If not, feel free to delete/merge/etc.

My question is: what year did the height of the goal posts increase? There was a notable difference that occured sometime (I'm guessing) in the early to mid 2000s. Was there a particular incident that prompted it?

Had a Google, found this page http://www.afl.com.au/afl-hq/the-afl-explained/rule-changes-1858-2013 but no luck. If someone knows the answer (and had some sort of source) that'd be great.

Cheers.

they measured the height of the full backs in the late 1990s and discovered they grown
quite a bit taller from when they last measured them in the 1930s

so they raised the height of the goal posts to compensate for this

they measured the height of the full backs in the late 1990s and discovered they grown
quite a bit taller from when they last measured them in the 1930s

so they raised the height of the goal posts to compensate for this
never noticed it?

Goalpost heights were increased overnight in May 2004 because of Troy Schwarze (well, that's the lazy answer).

The St Kilda player had a shot late in the Round 6, 2004 game against Brisbane Lions that was called a behind, but which on replay was shown should have been called out on the full. St Kilda won by a point, there was a kerfuffle about how terrible it all was...so the AFL raised the height of behind posts. Doing that consequently resulted in goal posts also being lengthened.

It was a bit weird at first, because it meant that at the MCG and Docklands (which had shorter goal and behind posts than for example Subiaco or Football Park) they had to weld extra height onto the existing posts. The heights weren't uniform at AFL grounds before that moment.

Goalpost heights were increased overnight in May 2004 because of Troy Schwarze (well, that's the lazy answer).

The St Kilda player had a shot late in the Round 6, 2004 game against Brisbane Lions that was called a behind, but which on replay was shown should have been called out on the full. St Kilda won by a point, there was a kerfuffle about how terrible it all was...so the AFL raised the height of behind posts. Doing that consequently resulted in goal posts also being lengthened.

It was a bit weird at first, because it meant that at the MCG and Docklands (which had shorter goal and behind posts than for example Subiaco or Football Park) they had to weld extra height onto the existing posts. The heights weren't uniform at AFL grounds before that moment.

Excellent -- thank you!

And for those playing along at home (skip to 2:31):

PS It's a shame I can't find any sort of official info about this, but the story above seems plausible and fits about when I thought it happened.

EDIT: Found something, http://footystats.freeservers.com/Footystats/1858-.html (scroll down to 2005)
This still lines up with the story above, because the height was 'officially' changed in 2005 (I'm guessing they can't make anything official until the off-season...)

Anyway, I'm really just talking to myself now.

Last edited:

PS It's a shame I can't find any sort of official info about this, but the story above seems plausible and fits about when I thought it happened.

EDIT: Found something, http://footystats.freeservers.com/Footystats/1858-.html (scroll down to 2005)
This still lines up with the story above, because the height was 'officially' changed in 2005 (I'm guessing they can't make anything official until the off-season...)

Don't worry about talking to yourself.
Just worry if you start disagreeing with yourself.

Ah...damn it - Aussie Jones kicked the point! I knew Schwarze was involved somewhere along the line.

I'm fairly certain the AFL stepped in and mandated change immediately. Similarly, they acted the year before (2003) to ban square shaped goalposts (I kid you not) after Wayne Carey cut his knee open on a behind post at Football Park.

The Saints were also involved with the siren being too quiet in Tassie.
The AFL stepped in, gave the game to Freo, and then changed the rule that says a game finishes when the umpire hears the siren and says it's over.

Has the rule actually changed? As far as I'm aware nothing's changed on that front, the adjudication was that the timekeeper hadn't fulfilled his duties under the laws.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where did the Saturday 2:08PM start time come from?

How come in the 1990s Saturdays would have some games starting at 2:08PM and others at 2:10PM?
TV Coverage.
It allows the intro of players, preview and the coin toss.
I would think the extra two minutes are related to whether the coverage was on Interstate TV or not.

Ah...damn it - Aussie Jones kicked the point! I knew Schwarze was involved somewhere along the line.

I'm fairly certain the AFL stepped in and mandated change immediately. Similarly, they acted the year before (2003) to ban square shaped goalposts (I kid you not) after Wayne Carey cut his knee open on a behind post at Football Park.

The AFL masters of knee jerk reactions, there should be a thread alone on this, how many knee jerk reactions the AFL have made especially in the past ten years?

Last edited:
Where did the Saturday 2:08PM start time come from?

How come in the 1990s Saturdays would have some games starting at 2:08PM and others at 2:10PM?

Warm up times where extended by two minutes in the mid 90's I assume. Or again so channel seven can squeeze in more ads during there live broadcast interstate.

The AFL masters of knee jerk reactions, there should be a thread alone on this, how many knee jerk reactions the AFL have made especially in the past ten years?
The Hawthorn deliberate behind rule comes to mind.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...d-have-merged-ross-oakley-20140705-zsx8k.html

In this article they make mention of a LA team called the Crocodiles of LA. The moment I heard that I felt that I have seen that before on a webpage probably 10 years ago which is now in the deep internet. Is there or does anyone else know of any other information about this?
Well, it is pretty much as was written about in that article.
Alan Bond had become president of Richmond, looked into moving them to Brisbane and floating them on the stock market. (Which was flying at the time)
Supporters heard of the proposed move and Bond was kicked out.
He then went to the AFL and suggested them giving him another club to play with, and move them to LA.
Hopefully one with less supporters.
They said no thanks.
One year later the stock market crashed, five years later Bond was declared bankrupt, ten years later he was in jail.
So it probably worked out well that the AFL kept him at arms length.

That incident brought a new meaning to the phrase 'knee jerk'. OK, back to the history ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back