Travel Hong Kong

Remove this Banner Ad

Where's the best area to stay for a family doing the regular touristy things for 7-10 days?

Where's the best area to stay for a family doing the regular touristy things for 7-10 days?

How do you plan to get around? I usually stay in Central. Close to the MTR and Ferry.

Hong Kong is so small that anywhere is OK. For Kowloon, lot's of 3-4 star hotels in the corridor from Prince Edward to Jordan which should all be reasonably priced, and close to the MTR. For HK Island, main areas would be form Wanchai to North Point, although prices may be a bit more expensive.
Personally, I think the Prince Edward are is best. Close to the Bird market, close to Mongkok, and lots of restaurants

Just use the MTR. Most fo the places you will want to go to will all be within a few stops of each other. Just remember to get an Octopus

How do you plan to get around? I usually stay in Central. Close to the MTR and Ferry.
Not too sure, but imagined it would be train for most things.
Hong Kong is so small that anywhere is OK. For Kowloon, lot's of 3-4 star hotels in the corridor from Prince Edward to Jordan which should all be reasonably priced, and close to the MTR. For HK Island, main areas would be form Wanchai to North Point, although prices may be a bit more expensive.
Personally, I think the Prince Edward are is best. Close to the Bird market, close to Mongkok, and lots of restaurants
Cheers. Should be fun doing a bit more research now.

I was in HK/China exactly 1 week ago. Frequent visitor to the countries.

Family wise, to escape the hustle and bustle, anywhere up and down nathan rd. Everything is in walking distance MTR wise, and you can hit the ferries in TST to get to the island. Ferry ride across the harbour is a must. Its safe and at night a fantastic view.

If you wanna hang around aussies, go to Lang Kwai Fong. Or Bali. Why one would do that is beyond me.

Back on track, family stuff try Disneyland, Ocean Park. The Peak is good, especially the ride up. Prepare for a queue especially if traveling up to the Peak at night.

OCTOPUS CARD IS A MUST. I wonder why our myki card is so s**t when it purports to the be same thing. Oh wait, octotpus allows you to use your money (on the card) and heaps of places including 7-11. Tap on, BEEP, take your goods and go!

markets have been covered already, for mine much of a muchness.

food - try the street food!

Central - heaps of quality restaurants. I enjoy the steak place la vache - unlimited fries!
- outdoor escalators. longest in the world from memory. And you need them during the heat/humidity

My fave part about HK is its safety. Walk the streets, enjoy the electricity!

MTR is always on time. Miss one? Wait 5 mins tops.

peternorth Lang Kwai Fong around xmas time is a mecca for all expats. Bit of fun.

Get your octopus card before you leave the airport. If it is a 1 off trip to HK, you'll pay something like $150HKD and get the card + $100HKD loaded onto it. When you're done with it just return the card and you'll get $50HKD back. MTR is the easiest way to get around. In the evenings, depending on where you are/going, catching a taxi can be super slow.

We used to head up to the very peak of...The Peak!...when it was free, but once you've done it once it ain't worth paying for. There are nice walks around the peak which give you a great view from different angles. Can recommend.

If you want Western food, you'll find it all over the place. You'll find some very nice places in So Ho/Central/Sheung Wan.

I tried the dim sum at Dragon-I in central last time I was there, pretty good.

You have to try Din Tai Fung. It is a great family restaurant with really really nice food. Big call, but one of my favourite places to eat in HKD. Very reasonably priced and the dumplings (which they are known for) are great. There's one in Causeway Bay and 2 somewhere in Kowloon (I only ever go to the Causeway Bay one).

If you can get out by yourselves without the kids, Wed night at Happy Valley is a nice experience.

peternorth Lang Kwai Fong around xmas time is a mecca for all expats. Bit of fun.

Get your octopus card before you leave the airport. If it is a 1 off trip to HK, you'll pay something like $150HKD and get the card + $100HKD loaded onto it. When you're done with it just return the card and you'll get $50HKD back. MTR is the easiest way to get around. In the evenings, depending on where you are/going, catching a taxi can be super slow.

We used to head up to the very peak of...The Peak!...when it was free, but once you've done it once it ain't worth paying for. There are nice walks around the peak which give you a great view from different angles. Can recommend.

If you want Western food, you'll find it all over the place. You'll find some very nice places in So Ho/Central/Sheung Wan.

I tried the dim sum at Dragon-I in central last time I was there, pretty good.

You have to try Din Tai Fung. It is a great family restaurant with really really nice food. Big call, but one of my favourite places to eat in HKD. Very reasonably priced and the dumplings (which they are known for) are great. There's one in Causeway Bay and 2 somewhere in Kowloon (I only ever go to the Causeway Bay one).

If you can get out by yourselves without the kids, Wed night at Happy Valley is a nice experience.

Thank you for the tag mate! Fantastic synopsis of HK!

LKF i avoid it personally. If i wanna hang out with aussies ill stay at home :D

Din Tai Fung is great for dumplings, totally agree. I havent been to the ones in HK, only in shanghai. The Asian in me says its not "authentic" but god damn its so nice!!!

BTW: havent played golf there, although have two reciprocals.

Thank you for the tag mate! Fantastic synopsis of HK!

LKF i avoid it personally. If i wanna hang out with aussies ill stay at home :D

Din Tai Fung is great for dumplings, totally agree. I havent been to the ones in HK, only in shanghai. The Asian in me says its not "authentic" but god damn its so nice!!!

BTW: havent played golf there, although have two reciprocals.

I've never played golf over there either. Which two clubs are the reciprocals?

Unless you know a member, it is very expensive and exclusive. The public course seems like a good bet though. I know plenty of people who have played there and say its fine.

You get good views of the Shek O golf club from doing the Dragon's Back walk.

I've never played golf over there either. Which two clubs are the reciprocals?

Unless you know a member, it is very expensive and exclusive. The public course seems like a good bet though. I know plenty of people who have played there and say its fine.

You get good views of the Shek O golf club from doing the Dragon's Back walk.

clearwater
dicovery bay

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back