Suspended
Apr 18, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chelsea
Hey.

Im a new player at poker (been watching it for ages though), now I won my first ever game with mates, and since then have lost every one making stupid mistakes trying to find my comfort range or style.

In the first game I just went conservative, didnt play and waited for my hand, simple, no bluffing or anything, got two four of a kinds within 3 hands, and cleaned every body up. Since then I have tried bluffing a bit, or semi-bluffing and have read a lot about the game, ie learning about position, pot odds, etc etc all that.

I am just curious though, how long did it take you seasoned players to start winning on a regular basis instead of the one offs. And are there any tips you could give a player like me? Thanks.

Carefree-Rob said:
Hey.

Im a new player at poker (been watching it for ages though), now I won my first ever game with mates, and since then have lost every one making stupid mistakes trying to find my comfort range or style.

In the first game I just went conservative, didnt play and waited for my hand, simple, no bluffing or anything, got two four of a kinds within 3 hands, and cleaned every body up. Since then I have tried bluffing a bit, or semi-bluffing and have read a lot about the game, ie learning about position, pot odds, etc etc all that.

I am just curious though, how long did it take you seasoned players to start winning on a regular basis instead of the one offs. And are there any tips you could give a player like me? Thanks.

I'm a terrible home game player but do well on the internet. I think I know what you mean by finding your game but I reckon you need a number of different games to suit different situations.

My answer to your question would be 2-3 months solid playing.

"A minute to learn and a lifetime to master."

I am still learning the game and finding myself comfortable with different playing styles. It depends a lot of the table.

Im currently in an Omaha Hi-Lo 2 table sit and go on Poker Stars and there has been one super aggresive player, so Im playing ultra conservative and picking my spots. Doubled up twice against him and am in the money now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back