How long will it take for Hird to regain his reputation with the general public.

Remove this Banner Ad

There are many points in the last few years where a moderate amount of contrition would have gone a long way towards salvaging his reputation. His pride is sabotaging any chance of public forgiveness - some of the faithful mistake this for stoic strength - but maybe he is saving the sorry card until he has exhausted all other options.

I'm just wondering if the guy who started the thread is finding it is going along as he thought/ hoped/ expected?

You all seem to be assuming he's guilty, but we don't know what off.

yes we are: yes we do

We'll have a better guestimate when we have more knowledge from cas. I know it sounds like I'm a stiff, but before we proceed shall we set a benchmark of guilt, because if he is found in anyway complicit in the systematic doping of a team of young men, then I'd hope his reputation would be shot to bits everywhere and I'm sure he'd agree.

They couldn't pin murders on Al Capone. They got him for tax evasion in the end. Hird may well not get pinned for doping his team. That does not mean everyone/anyone will suddenly forgive and forget. It would require a compelling, comprehensive proof vindicating him, not a "we couldn't prove his guilt" verdict.

Hird will not ever recover his reputation: but he may be brought back into the media with the TV channel that hires him doing its best to pretend it he has. It will just depend on who the producers are and who the co-hosts are as to whether its attempted.

I think Jobe Watson also shares something of this fate. I watch AFL matches via the streaming system - and during the breaks they put up an advert of Jobe telling us about the service - I ******* cant stand the sight of him and don't want to hear him promoting anything to do with football. Its an emotional gut reaction, not an intellectual one.

See we have a different benchmark because if he is guilty of what I think he is, then he won't be showing his face in the media as a personality. It's not the look even the media wants. Never mind about jobe. I feel exactly the same way about goodes.

See we have a different benchmark because if he is guilty of what I think he is, then he won't be showing his face in the media as a personality. It's not the look even the media wants. Never mind about jobe. I feel exactly the same way about goodes.
Nah, he's basically up s**t creek, it's only the degree which will vary.

As an Essendon fan I can see the writing on the wall for Hird.

As others on this board have seen I did not want him back at all and wanted to go with a clean slate.

Having said that, If Hird is either fired or quits himself at the end of this season. How long will he need to stay out of the spotlight until he can come back to the football world as a commentator/TV personality and be viewed as a legend of the game again by the general public.

It took Wayne Carey at least 3-4 years for his reputation to clear and he is not as reviled as Hird is right now.

Thoughts?

P.S. - Just trying to create a new thread that hopefully (though likely won't) go around in the same circles.
For mine it's not a matter of forgivemess.

The thing with Hird is that he has been exposed as a different type of person to what we all thought he was. And even today, when he fronts the media, he still tries to portray this high principled good guy he really isn't. I think Dean Robinson in his interview said something like he wished Hird would act like the person he claims to be. Dean Robinson isn't the only person who knows Hird behind the scenes who thinks this. Every picture tells a story:

696017-b60d7baa-1731-11e5-b043-03fbbcadf4e0.jpg

Don't go the "victim" route, James. The public won't buy it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he ever regains any of his reputation and somehow finds his way back into football, any time any drug issue comes up, the headlines will compare whatever new scandal as the worst since James Hird's Bombers, and all the old wounds will be reopened.

He won't.......

He said "Essendon would be in a good place" - he asked fans to trust him with that ---- he broke their trust (even if they don't recognise it) Essendon was never in a "good place" after he said that.

He then appealed to the Supreme Court, which is his right, but sometimes you can exercise your "rights" but still be a campaigner. He put him self up on the pedestal of righteousness in his statements during this phase of the saga. The Supreme court twice told him he was wrong.

He has been arrogant and smug this whole time. He has never once actually taken any resposibility, something he said he would do at the outset.

He has lied.

He will not ever regain my esteem.

I forgive most things. The two I don't forgive are being a pedo or being a liar.

He would have to admit fault and show some genuine remorse first... not sure he will ever do that.

Would take him doing an interview like Lance Armstrong to admit all his fault and wrongdoings, but unlike Lance, then show humility and contrition and apologise for his actions.
However, given James is a sociopath, this will never happen

As an Essendon fan I can see the writing on the wall for Hird.

As others on this board have seen I did not want him back at all and wanted to go with a clean slate.

Having said that, If Hird is either fired or quits himself at the end of this season. How long will he need to stay out of the spotlight until he can come back to the football world as a commentator/TV personality and be viewed as a legend of the game again by the general public.

It took Wayne Carey at least 3-4 years for his reputation to clear and he is not as reviled as Hird is right now.

Thoughts?

P.S. - Just trying to create a new thread that hopefully (though likely won't) go around in the same circles.
I'm thinking Lance Armstrong is a better analogy than Wayne Carey because most of the reviling of Hird is to do with his denials. If he would just admit that he stuffed up big time it would make a huge difference. Humility good, hubris bad.

For mine it's not a matter of forgivemess.

The thing with Hird is that he has been exposed as a different type of person to what we all thought he was. And even today, when he fronts the media, he still tries to portray this high principled good guy he really isn't. I think Dean Robinson in his interview said something like he wished Hird would act like the person he claims to be. Dean Robinson isn't the only person who knows Hird behind the scenes who thinks this. Every picture tells a story:

696017-b60d7baa-1731-11e5-b043-03fbbcadf4e0.jpg

Don't go the "victim" route, James. The public won't buy it.
Do we really respect what Dean Robinson has to say? This guy sold his story to the media. Only other people to cash in on this and do TV paid gigs are Charters and Dank... now that says something about Robinson.

Robinson should be along side dank for trafficking to a player on the gold coast and support staff. Robinson loves giving injections.. had happily gives to his family members!!!!

Robinson's time is coming... he might have told ASADA what they wanted to hear to support his own story, but watch this space he will end up being whacked just as hard as Dank when this is all done.

He was head of the department... run the program (whatever that actually was) and was responsible for bringing in Dank to the club and the day to day management of that freak.

Ask yourself why the media havent touched him... yet are happy to slam others who are much less involved. Why hasnt ASADA issued him with SCN (he injected staff and supplied to GCS player) yet have banned Dank for life?

Do we really respect what Dean Robinson has to say? This guy sold his story to the media. Only other people to cash in on this and do TV paid gigs are Charters and Dank... now that says something about Robinson.

Robinson should be along side dank for trafficking to a player on the gold coast and support staff. Robinson loves giving injections.. had happily gives to his family members!!!!

Robinson's time is coming... he might have told ASADA what they wanted to hear to support his own story, but watch this space he will end up being whacked just as hard as Dank when this is all done.

He was head of the department... run the program (whatever that actually was) and was responsible for bringing in Dank to the club and the day to day management of that freak.

Ask yourself why the media havent touched him... yet are happy to slam others who are much less involved. Why hasnt ASADA issued him with SCN (he injected staff and supplied to GCS player) yet have banned Dank for life?
Gee, why don't you start up a thread for this.............

Remove this Banner Ad

Back