Family & Relationships How many of you have tried online dating?

How much would you be willing to pay for a four-hour seminar (assuming you would be successful)

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Armwarmer

All Australian
Feb 5, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hey everyone,

Just trying to get a gauge on people's opinions and thoughts about online dating. I have had quite extensive experience in it over the years (in between various relationships) and have found it quite successful. However, it seems lots of people are hesitant about trying online dating due to the stigma associated with it, which seems to be waning. Other people are simply unsure about how to get started.

A friend and I (both post grad uni students) are in the planning phase of setting up a 'how to' online dating seminar for those unsure about the scene in general and who want some tips and guild lines on how to create a profile and enjoy some success.

With this in mine, I have some questions for everyone here:

a) have you tried online dating?

b) what were/are your thoughts in general about online dating?

c) would you pay for a 4 hour class teaching you how to use online dating to successfully meet people?

d) how much would be you willing to pay for such a seminar?

9 years ago....ended up in the Amazon...most fun I have ever had.
Bought a 3 month subscription to Match.com after a separation, it just seemed a good idea at the time ....had date every week of the subscription and was pretty well over it at the end of the 3 months but on its last day for fun I just posted my profile randomly regardless of were they where on the planet.....and got a few replies I just passed over but for one ...a particularly beautiful school teacher who lived in Brazil the city of Fortaleza...anyway we started corresponding I found myself going over there and over the next 4 years we had a great relationship ...but for local girls I would maybe give it a miss....my girl in Brazil was everything and more that was in her profile.....the local girls maybe not so much.. you may as well just go to the pub.

Not sure I would pay for a course on how to be honest.

I haven't tried online dating specifically, but I have met lots of women from sites like couch surfing etc while traveling.

I'm converted and think the internet is a great way to meet not only women but like minded people in general. If you think it's lame ... you're behind the times imo. Kind of like thinking video games are only for nerdy young men. It's not the case anymore.

That said, I don't think I would pay for a dating site. It's nicer to just meet people through a shared interest, become friends and then if you want to date decide to later on.

Edit: And a how to seminar? Definitely not paying/really interested.

I reckon you'd get people to the seminar just because they'd know there'll be other singles in your area there.
It'd be your typical sausagefest though.

to answer your questions

a. no
b. no problem with it, seems the way of the future
c. no, wouldn't pay
d. nil

could you pimp yourself out to the dating sites though and host how to seminars for them?

Never have but have 2 single mates who have/do and both swear by it in terms of it being a root fest.

One's actually settled down and gotten engaged to a girl he met on there (very good looking), the other is still going strong.

Yes, and huge mistake.

Tried rsvp, and immediately after joining without membership, got spammed by several women 'wanting to get to know me' I joined up, and got no response from any of them.

Been trying Eharmony, and a lot of women on there seem to be looking for the impossible man. I thought I'd give it a go as it was a different type of site. The whole scene is rubbish. I hardly attracted any matches, and when I did they were completely unsuitable. Of all the matches I did communicate with, we'd go through the guided process, then hit the email stage, I'd send an email, and then receive no response. I'm extremely confident the email didn't scare them, it was a relaxed short email, nothing serious, certainly nothing that would make someone run, but yet, thats as far as I was getting. I did try hooking up with so so women, for the sake of making this work, but there was simply no connection, and I abandoned.

Not necessarily blaming the site, but the whole scene is not what it claims to be. I still think meeting people in the flesh is the way to go.

a) no

b) seems widely accepted; no problem with it and i may try it in the future.

c) no.

d) as above.

some questions for you:

what credentials do you have to charge people money for a seminar? is this like a PUA seminar?

Haven't used online dating, although did meet my now wife playing a MUD (pre-world of warcraft text based gaming, this was 15 years ago), though I wasn't on there to pick up chicks or her a guy. Geeks just connected :)

Been trying Eharmony, and a lot of women on there seem to be looking for the impossible man.
That's woman all the time to some extent, but it appears to be the mindset for those sites that 'there are so many guys, that I can have standards that I wouldn't be able to have meeting people in the real world, so I can cut out 99.5% of them and still have a choice!'. Ignoring a host of others are doing the same and then wondering why they don't get matched up with said rare guy when they aren't the corresponding rare '10's in everything' girl.

Take the average type 'want list'.
  • 6 foot - 6'4 - they want a tall guy, but not too tall. Ok, down to now around a third of guys only already with that range.
  • Earns above average wage - taking out those who don't / can't work, knocking out over half those remaining. Down to around 15% of guys.
  • Must be in top shape - with over half the male population over weight, let alone excluding skinny guys as well, knocking off another 60%+. So now down to maybe 5% of guys at best.
And that's before you even get to good looking, sense of humour, caring etc.

Hey everyone,

Just trying to get a gauge on people's opinions and thoughts about online dating. I have had quite extensive experience in it over the years (in between various relationships) and have found it quite successful. However, it seems lots of people are hesitant about trying online dating due to the stigma associated with it, which seems to be waning. Other people are simply unsure about how to get started.

A friend and I (both post grad uni students) are in the planning phase of setting up a 'how to' online dating seminar for those unsure about the scene in general and who want some tips and guild lines on how to create a profile and enjoy some success.

With this in mine, I have some questions for everyone here:

a) have you tried online dating?

b) what were/are your thoughts in general about online dating?

c) would you pay for a 4 hour class teaching you how to use online dating to successfully meet people?

d) how much would be you willing to pay for such a seminar?

can you really teach people to have the 'personality' for it? I think you either have that kind of online charisma/communication skills or you don't to be successful with the online medium, versus other methods. I know a lot starts with first impressions from a profile etc, but you still have to have the ability to leap from sending flirts and whispers to having someone thinking you are worth meeting?

I just found out today that someone I contacted via email on Eharmony, after spending a week on the guided communication, can't read my email because they aren't a paid member. Really really really wasted my money on this s**t site.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back