Opinion How was this suspension overturned?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 7, 2001
In the Pocket Rocket, lights ablaze!
AFL Club
Collingwood
I admit to not following AFLW competition as much as some.
But this issue worries me.
A player was suspended for three matches for a “tackle” that caused a spine fracture in an opponent.
To me, the video is damning. The player who was injured clearly plants her feet and then the opponent runs into her, causing the injury.
Yet the appeals process found that the injured players “momentum contributed to the injury.”
How? Feet were planted!
Disgraceful.

I think the issue is the same as the rule making contact above the head forbidden under all circumstances. This led almost immediately to players using their head as their first point of defence, and the danger of head/neck injuries arguably got worse.

Marinoff is moving, but at not much more than walking pace, she does not charge in, is not reckless, she takes 3 steps to the ball. The outcome was really unfortunate, and really unlikely imop given the force of the contact. If Marinoff is given a sentence, does this increase player safety? or does it teach players, if picking up the ball, and a player is coming in to contest, make sure your head points towards them, as they have to stop to avoid all contact?

I have no doubt that in the mens, this is exactly what would happen.

You must protect the head, but you cannot reward behaviour that endangers the head, as this is the behaviour you will get. Its a contradiction.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back