Hugh Greenwood debacle

Remove this Banner Ad

Jesus I actually don’t even care anymore,

First we let him go and now today situation.

Hugh was one our best imports.

Maybe finally we can all see Jack Bowes in the mids??

Greenwood had a year to run at the Suns, where he could have earned up to $400,000 and potentially activate a trigger for another one-year contract.

North moved in with an offer of a three-year deal averaging out at roughly $400,000 a year. Sources indicated it was in the range of $500,000 for each of the first two years, dropping to about $250,000 in the third year.

The plan had been for Greenwood to nominate only for the pre-season draft.

The strategy required both contracted players to agree to it, which they did. The danger had been that another club would agree to take over the contracts and draft them. The risk with Thompson, who is coming off two successive knee reconstructions, was always lower than with Greenwood.

There is no player - particularly at age 30 - that is going to approach the club and say "Hey, guys, I know we're tight on list spots so how about you de-list me and then place me on the rookie list; and even though there is a slight risk that if I get injured early in the season and you promote the next best player who is fit and healthy, and I then may not actually be able to force my way back into the senior team; I think it's the best option for the club (not me - who is 30 and facing a finite period to earn the most money I can).

No, the stupid club would have come to him along with other players and put it to him. They wouldn't have come to Charlie Ballard though, or Will Powell: why? - because they would never in a million years want to risk losing them. Clearly there was a part of them that was open to the possibility of there being a risk that someone else would take him, and they were okay with that as it was the 'best' of a bad situation.

For Greenwood, the writing is on the wall through these actions. He's 30, he's playing the best football of his career, but there is already an underlying feeling that he is becoming expendable. What more can he do?

Well, he can move club, if the offer is better, and the security seems better.

Not his fault. GC's fault.

And can we not refer to him as "Jarryd Lyons 2.0" when we all know that is Will Brodie. Hughie is "Jarryd Lyons 3.0" 😊

I actually think he has done his job for you guys and now it's time for the young talent to step up. I wonder if the play for Callaghan (spelling?) will now happen.

At least Fiorini proved he can be a good replacement in that position. There is no way we could play both of them, and I'd like to be playing Brayds because he's shown he can do it if he gets a go in that spot. I'm sure we would have tried to play both of them, but one of them would have eventually been tipped out (Fiorini likely). He'd then go off and crush it somewhere else.

Rowelly and Anderson will be looked at to really step up now in year three.

North offering him three years over our 1 + 1 trigger makes a bit more sense for him too.

It seems a pattern to not recognise big bodied talent and underestimate just how tough you need to be in this game. Lyon, Brodie and now Greenwood makes three!

Losing will Brodie and Hugh for nothing in one window only big body mid left is fiorni and fiorni can be mid, hilarious club surely craig Cameron is taking the piss

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if a thread about Hugh Greenwood or about pursuing a career as a teacher with the amount of Day Offs in here :p.

This was always going to happen as soon as they delisted him what the hell was the list management team thinking? Too good of a player to be free for the taking.
I've always found it interesting when players agreed to be delisted and re-drafted or re-rookied. I guess I always wondered what if a club came swooping in and that stems from the Luke Ball / Collingwood episode which to some degree is why we have Free Agency now.

Never thought this would happen with Hugh and the Suns though when I first saw this news. Thought it was odd, but not off and if anything it sounded like he was doing the right thing by the club which I can respect too. But yeah, this is just bizarre.

"This was always going to happen" is a bit of a kneejerk reaction to something that literally no one saw coming and the reaction of those bewildered including I is evidence of that.

There's going to be a lot more to play out over the coming days with this and I'm part fascinated and part disgusted to read into it more. :(

Hey, everyone was getting bored.
Now, not so much.

The Suns have also done the AFL a big favour.
I wonder if Gil gave Hugh and Noble a call on Sunday...and then told Cameron and Dew and TheCoch to take the hit.

This monumental stuff up has a big chance to relegate the news about that retirement to the second page...

My takeaways of the impacts / appearances.

SUNS:
Will miss him a bit on field and a fair bit off field but the main blow is the stench of incompetence.

does this give king / lukosius / rankine etc.. the confidence to stay and re-sign. Hardly.

surely there would have been in depth discussions detailing all possible outcomes before agreeing to the move.

Greenwood:
Looking after himself and his family so don’t blame him for that. But it’s a pretty low act. Wonder if he told the Suns of the north approach. If they have agreed to pay him good money until end of 2024, I don’t think we could have possibly matched.

1.25million over 3 years vs 350-400k over 1 plus maybe a second year if he reached markers for an extension. It’s a fair difference for a guy who wouldn’t have made much in his career to date.

NORTH: was available and they took him. Didn’t do anything wrong IMO. The contract seems excessive but seems he’s there for off field and leadership as much as on field.

Alex Davies needs to immediately get on the phone to touk miller and ask him to go for a 10km run followed by a bare knuckle boxing session.

There is no player - particularly at age 30 - that is going to approach the club and say "Hey, guys, I know we're tight on list spots so how about you de-list me and then place me on the rookie list; and even though there is a slight risk that if I get injured early in the season and you promote the next best player who is fit and healthy, and I then may not actually be able to force my way back into the senior team; I think it's the best option for the club (not me - who is 30 and facing a finite period to earn the most money I can).

No, the stupid club would have come to him along with other players and put it to him. They wouldn't have come to Charlie Ballard though, or Will Powell: why? - because they would never in a million years want to risk losing them. Clearly there was a part of them that was open to the possibility of there being a risk that someone else would take him, and they were okay with that as it was the 'best' of a bad situation.

For Greenwood, the writing is on the wall through these actions. He's 30, he's playing the best football of his career, but there is already an underlying feeling that he is becoming expendable. What more can he do?

Well, he can move club, if the offer is better, and the security seems better.

Not his fault. GC's fault.

And can we not refer to him as "Jarryd Lyons 2.0" when we all know that is Will Brodie. Hughie is "Jarryd Lyons 3.0" 😊
If we didn’t care about losing him, we could have easily gotten something for him in a trade.

spin won’t work here

My takeaways of the impacts / appearances.

SUNS:
Will miss him a bit on field and a fair bit off field but the main blow is the stench of incompetence.

does this give king / lukosius / rankine etc.. the confidence to stay and re-sign. Hardly.

surely there would have been in depth discussions detailing all possible outcomes before agreeing to the move.

Greenwood:
Looking after himself and his family so don’t blame him for that. But it’s a pretty low act. Wonder if he told the Suns of the north approach. If they have agreed to pay him good money until end of 2024, I don’t think we could have possibly matched.

1.25million over 3 years vs 350-400k over 1 plus maybe a second year if he reached markers for an extension. It’s a fair difference for a guy who wouldn’t have made much in his career to date.

NORTH: was available and they took him. Didn’t do anything wrong IMO. The contract seems excessive but seems he’s there for off field and leadership as much as on field.

The notice on the Suns page - Craig Cameron - "We sat down and had an open conversation about the offer and what was best for Hugh, his family and the Gold Coast Suns. As a group, the decision was made to support Hugh in his wish to join North Melbourne and extend his playing career"

The notice on the Suns page - Craig Cameron - "We sat down and had an open conversation about the offer and what was best for Hugh, his family and the Gold Coast Suns. As a group, the decision was made to support Hugh in his wish to join North Melbourne and extend his playing career"
link?

If we didn’t care about losing him, we could have easily gotten something for him in a trade.

spin won’t work here

Never said they didn't 'care', I said they were to some extent open to the possibility of someone else grabbing him; but obviously much preferred to keep him.

Read things closer.

At least Fiorini proved he can be a good replacement in that position. There is no way we could play both of them, and I'd like to be playing Brayds because he's shown he can do it if he gets a go in that spot. I'm sure we would have tried to play both of them, but one of them would have eventually been tipped out (Fiorini likely). He'd then go off and crush it somewhere else.

Rowelly and Anderson will be looked at to really step up now in year three.

North offering him three years over our 1 + 1 trigger makes a bit more sense for him too.

Could be fiorini chance to really break out. Finished the year really strong and with a big pre season (already looks super fit) could take his game to the next level. I think we are still looking good for years to come in the middle with miller, rowell, Anderson, hollands, fiorini, weller, Davies. Think we had to shift either greenwood or swallow out of the middle next year anyway and this gives swallow another crack in there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back